Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

02 firebird ignition relay wiring

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2017, 11:29 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 02 firebird ignition relay wiring

I have done a lot of searching and can't find the answers to my questions, I'd appreciate some help.

I am working on converting a harness from an '02 trans am and am to the point of wiring up a fuse/relay box. I am using one of the original boxes from the donor car. I have eliminated relays and fuses I don't need and have moved things around so it all fits in one of the original boxes. I have retained all 3 fan relays, the fuel pump relay and am now dealing with the ignition relay. I am trying to use a smaller relay (OMRON 8567, same as the fuel pump relay) in place of the original ignition relay because I don't have room for a larger relay. This relay provides power to fuses for injectors, coils, engine sensors, pcm, cruise and engine controls.

First question, will the 8567 relay handle the power for all those fuses (original ignition relay was OMRON 7236)? I have looked and can't find specs on these realys?

Second question, the wire going to terminal 86 on the ignition relay was the same size as the wires on terminals 30 and 87, this seems overly large for the wire that triggers the relay??

Third question, on my '68 camaro, where would you connect terminal 86 on the relay? In other words, where would you obtain switched power from the '68 camaro to trigger the ignition relay?

I have looked and can't find a wiring diagram for the '02 ignition relay and I can't find specs or info on the relays......both of those would be very helpful.

Thanks!!
Old 03-07-2017, 02:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 82 Likes on 60 Posts

I can't find any information on those relays, but if they are at least 30amp I would say you are ok.

The best spot for switched power is directly off your ignition switch on the 68 camaro.

Quick Reply: 02 firebird ignition relay wiring