Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Truck accessory power steering pumps too much volume

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2017, 09:00 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Truck accessory power steering pumps too much volume

I stumbled across a solution to my problem. I have a 2008 LH6 out of a Silverado swapped into a FD RX7 and have burned up two power steering pumps.

After speaking to Jeff at turn one-steering, the truck Saginaw pump pumps around 20 gpm (at 6000 rpm)but the Mazda rack only needs about 2 gpm. He makes a Saginaw II type pump for a RX swap but it only fits the F-body accessory drive brackets. The Saginaw P type pump is pressure adjustable but not volume adjustable. He can adjust flow and pressure on the type II pump.

Because we are bypassing about 18 GPM, the oil heats up even with a cooler plumbed into the return side. No one makes a larger pulley for the truck pump to slow it down. Swapping the entire accessory drive is expensive.

I ran across a Google image of a LH6 out of a GMC Envoy and noticed the PS pump is completely different than the Silverado "tin can" pump. It has a plastic reservoir and appears to be a Saginaw II pump or similar.

I searched the internet and verified that the Trailblazer, Envoy, SSR bracket is a different GM pn than the Silverado but they all use the same waterpump, belt, tensioner, and alternator.

The PN for the Trailblazer bracket is: 12567922

I just wanted to share.
Old 04-13-2017, 09:01 PM
Staging Lane

Old 04-13-2017, 09:03 PM
Staging Lane

2008 Silverado LH6
Old 04-13-2017, 09:04 PM
Staging Lane

2008 GMC Envoy
Old 04-13-2017, 11:17 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 526 Likes on 356 Posts

nice. thats good info!
Old 01-07-2018, 05:03 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Grip
I stumbled across a solution to my problem. I have a 2008 LH6 out of a Silverado swapped into a FD RX7 and have burned up two power steering pumps.

After speaking to Jeff at turn one-steering, the truck Saginaw pump pumps around 20 gpm (at 6000 rpm)but the Mazda rack only needs about 2 gpm. He makes a Saginaw II type pump for a RX swap but it only fits the F-body accessory drive brackets. The Saginaw P type pump is pressure adjustable but not volume adjustable. He can adjust flow and pressure on the type II pump.

Because we are bypassing about 18 GPM, the oil heats up even with a cooler plumbed into the return side. No one makes a larger pulley for the truck pump to slow it down. Swapping the entire accessory drive is expensive.

I ran across a Google image of a LH6 out of a GMC Envoy and noticed the PS pump is completely different than the Silverado "tin can" pump. It has a plastic reservoir and appears to be a Saginaw II pump or similar.

I searched the internet and verified that the Trailblazer, Envoy, SSR bracket is a different GM pn than the Silverado but they all use the same waterpump, belt, tensioner, and alternator.

The PN for the Trailblazer bracket is: 12567922

I just wanted to share.

So did you end up doing this? I am trying to spec out a power steering pump for my LS C-10 with updated/upgraded rack and pinion. I'm running the truck accessories.
Old 01-08-2018, 05:28 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Further follow-up. I talked to Junior at Turn One this afternoon and he said they have a truck setup coming out in late Jan or early Feb. Full bolt-on to the factory accessory bracket. Kind of spendy at $600 and you still need to buy a reservoir. I'm going to wait to see it before coming up with a plan "b."

Quick Reply: Truck accessory power steering pumps too much volume