Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

94 Buick Roadmaster Wagon LS 6.0L Swap

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2017, 04:05 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 464 Likes on 350 Posts

Stock LS7 (with correct rockers) a good choice also IMO....
Old 10-31-2017, 04:26 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,439 Likes on 908 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael Yount
Stock LS7 (with correct rockers) a good choice also IMO....
Also, the LS9 cam is almost identical to the LS7 cam...

Andrew
Old 10-31-2017, 05:29 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,109 Likes on 2,424 Posts

Plus the LS9 is far cheaper. It does have another 1-1/2 degrees LSA, the only difference. Aftermarket cams will do a better job, but will cost more.
Old 10-31-2017, 05:54 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by G Atsma
Plus the LS9 is far cheaper. It does have another 1-1/2 degrees LSA, the only difference. Aftermarket cams will do a better job, but will cost more.
Everyone says that aftermarket cams will work better, but nobody states any specifics...Also, what do you mean by better? More HP? More torque? What are the effects on idle quality and drivability? Some of these things are pretty objective, while other things are quite subjective.

I run the LS7 cam in my 70 GTO in what is basically a LS3. Made 420RWHP using a LS7 tune and running 10.5AFR at WOT...I've trapped a best of 115MPH at the drag strip at a nearly 4000 pound race weight. It idles as smooth as a Camry (which I like and want) and drives awesome.

Andrew
Old 10-31-2017, 06:02 PM
TECH Senior Member

It is generally thought that the extremely wide LSA holds it back from being as powerful a cam as it could be. The cams I mention above will idle fairly nice and respond well, and still make more power than the LS7/9.
Old 10-31-2017, 07:01 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by G Atsma
It is generally thought that the extremely wide LSA holds it back from being as powerful a cam as it could be. The cams I mention above will idle fairly nice and respond well, and still make more power than the LS7/9.
I believe all that...but are we talking 40hp or 10?

Andrew
Old 10-31-2017, 07:15 PM
TECH Senior Member

I would say 20-30 maybe, just a guess. Every time I read about an LS9/7 cam, there is disappointment expressed on the power gained. The intake is only seven more degrees than the LS3 cam, with very little more lift. The exhaust at 230 degrees does help at the top end with evacuation, but overall the result is not big.
Old 10-31-2017, 07:40 PM
TECH Junkie

With lots o weight, lots o torque down low would be my priority....always happy to trade some hp at peak for more torque down low. I had to get older to fully appreciate that. A few choices over the years in street cars where peak power was good but the car was a pain on the street because of a lack of bottom end. Finally learned - for me on the street - gimme lots of torque down low with a nice wide/flat curve and not worry about peak hp. There are after market cams that can do this - but you have be careful. I’ve found that they often have 1) much steeper ramp rates than stock, 2) more lift than stock, 3) similar .050” durations as stock, 4) SHORTER .006” durations than stock. Near stock vacuum levels, idle with just a little more authority but nothing approaching “lope”, better torque/hp production all across the tach and, quite often, better fuel mileage. Hardly anyone buys them - youngsters all want “lope”....LOL. I quit trying to pick my own - prefer to let a pro model the set up, listen to my perf desires and design a custom. Best money I’ve ever spent. Finally learned -- the keys are the actual valve events and lobe profiles. All the other numbers (LSA, duration, etc.) are just numbers that fall out with the math.
Old 11-02-2017, 09:48 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm crazy about these big b bodies ! Nice work with this swap .
Old 11-02-2017, 10:03 PM
On The Tree

Good suggestions, as of right now however I personally don't REALLY don't wanna take apart the engine for a cam swap myself, it was a suggestion for chevydarrell if he wanted to do a swap to do the cam change before installing the engine.

For me however I'm good with the cam I got, remember I haven't even taken it to the dyno to get it properly tuned so what I feel may just be a bad tune to begin with; I do plan on installing a FAST LSXRT which (from what I read) gives just a tad more low end torque before I plan on hitting the dyno, but that wont be till spring of next year when income tax comes rolling in.
Old 11-02-2017, 10:06 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by AnimeFunTV
.... but that wont be till spring of next year when income tax comes rolling in.
Good deal.

But why on earth would you make an interest-free loan to the government? Good luck with the tune!
Old 11-03-2017, 03:59 PM
Teching In

getting ready to this swap on my 95 impala ss. nice work
Old 11-04-2017, 11:57 PM
Teching In

I would love to do a LS3 but would have to save my pennies for awhile!
I have a 5.3L LH6 from a 2006 Trailblazer. That was the reason for my asking
how a 5.3L would do in a wagon. Wagons are heavy but I think a Trailblazer would
be too. Wonder what gearing a Trailblazer rearend runs?3:42? My friends Trailblazer pulls like a mule with the 5.3L and I don't think my Wagon could be that much heavier? I have no choice on a cam swap as I am removing the VVT. I really want to do a twin turbo setup but im not sure if I could pull that off, Would be a learning curve there!
Old 11-05-2017, 01:29 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Myzterray
getting ready to this swap on my 95 impala ss. nice work
Thank you!

Just an FYI, the on 95+ caprice/impala the ABS module is much bigger, not sure what pulley system your thinking of, for example if I had the 95+ ABS module with the Holley bracket system my power steering pump would be hitting the module. Unless you plan on nixing the ABS module it will have to be move forward.
Old 11-05-2017, 01:43 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by chevydarrell
I would love to do a LS3 but would have to save my pennies for awhile!
I have a 5.3L LH6 from a 2006 Trailblazer. That was the reason for my asking
how a 5.3L would do in a wagon. Wagons are heavy but I think a Trailblazer would
be too. Wonder what gearing a Trailblazer rearend runs?3:42? My friends Trailblazer pulls like a mule with the 5.3L and I don't think my Wagon could be that much heavier? I have no choice on a cam swap as I am removing the VVT. I really want to do a twin turbo setup but im not sure if I could pull that off, Would be a learning curve there!
My wagon weighs in about 4300lbs (that was with the original LT1), trailblazer I would assume is the same weight give or take 3-500lbs, I have 3.23 gears with a 2400-2500 stall from circle d on a beefed up 4L60(5)e. For the most part its good for daily use (again, no proper dyno tune as of yet, just working on my ST/LT fuel trims on my own)

That being said having a 5.3 vs a 6.0 shouldn't be too much of a difference, I know people will always choose a bigger displacement, but for power I think with the right combo you can achieve the same power output of a 6.0 with the proper heads/intake/cam on a 5.3.

As far as turbo i'm in the dark, I will say this though, if you were to install the factory electric fans like I did, you do have (theoretically) plenty of room between the engine and radiator for some small/medium turbos just by the looks of it, installing a intercooler and the piping is another task.
Old 11-05-2017, 01:02 AM
On The Tree

These are some old photos. Mostly making it look pretty with some braided split loom

Old 11-05-2017, 01:06 AM
On The Tree

old photos of the Exhaust work & current state of the engine as of last week

Old 11-05-2017, 09:18 AM
Teching In

THANK YOU Everyone for your responses. AnimeFunTV, BooBoo37 nice pictures.
I am not near as nervous with mechanical stuff as I am the computer stuff. I think I
will just buy a harness. Can you recommend one?
Thanks
Old 11-05-2017, 09:43 AM
Teching In

The swap looks great ! I am considering doing the same to my 93 buick wagon . The engine is wearing out and the swap would help me keep it for a few more years .
Old 11-05-2017, 10:00 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by chevydarrell
I think I
will just buy a harness. Can you recommend one?
Thanks
I used a harness/computer/O2's/gas pedal/maf from PSI Conversions. Perfect fit. Virtually no modifications (they supplied a pig tail to lengthen the harness to reach my MAF location) and the car started up on the first turn of the key with very little to trouble shoot. First rate operation from my perspective -- if I do another swap, I'll just go right back to them.

Quick Reply: 94 Buick Roadmaster Wagon LS 6.0L Swap