Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

BBC with 0411 Conversion 72 Chevelle

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2017, 04:59 PM
TECH Addict

Received 47 Likes on 31 Posts

Those look like old TPI parts. 0411 swaps are fairly common on them. TPS is straitforward. IAC may take some tweaking as the different internal motors are not identical to the LT1/LS. Just swapping pins at the PCM side
Old 07-07-2017, 05:15 PM
Launching!

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Pocket
Those look like old TPI parts. 0411 swaps are fairly common on them. TPS is straitforward. IAC may take some tweaking as the different internal motors are not identical to the LT1/LS. Just swapping pins at the PCM side
Yea, that is my concern as well. There is 2 ways to look at it though. The IAC table allows you to add or remove air in grams if I remember correctly. Although I may lose the direct correlation in HpTuners... The goal of the IAC is simply to add or subtract air. That's it. So I don't think its going to effect any other tables... although I'm not 100% certain. Trial and error! LOL!

On the other hand I could just remove the TPI IAC and install the LSx IAC... a little silicone and a couple of tabs to hold it in and I should be good to go. My paranoid self will probably go in that direction. Other than that (fingers crossed) I should be good to go as long as I an obtain one!

Thanks for the support!

Dan
Old 07-07-2017, 08:30 PM
TECH Addict

Received 47 Likes on 31 Posts

IIRC, stepper motor A and B are switched, or high/low for each are reversed. Maybe both, cant remember exactly. You can get them working, but it takes some effort

Alternatively, you can get a LT1 TB and skip all that
Old 07-09-2017, 11:00 AM
Launching!

So I have a few updates today.

After a bunch of research we ordered a transmission from FLT Transmissions. Spoke with Chuck over there... he seems like a nice guy, hopefully he builds us a bad *** trans!

A special thanks to Roughneck427! He is providing me with a Cam Position sensor that he had built and never used. It s a nice billet piece. I am looking forward to receiving that. He also is sending me his balancer and Reluctor so I can take a look at that as well as a tune file and information he believes will be valuable.

I am also working with Jerry from Superior Design Concepts. He already produces exactly what I am looking for in regard to the balancer/reluctor setup. It looks like a real trick piece. The interesting part about it, is that he build them for MOPAR guys in Australia! So I am told guys in Australia love HpTuners and Stock 0411 ECUs and have been retrofitting them onto older big block mopars for years. I spoke with Jerry and we both agree if it can work on a big block from a different manufacturer it should work with the manufacturer it was intended for. I told him I am interested in completing this portion of the project within the next 3 weeks and he is going to try and make it happen. If this works out, I believe he is going to produce these in quantity so guys will be able to do 24x and potentially 58x swaps in the future. This link is what the mopar guys are using. I think its a pretty cool setup that would look nice on the front of the BBC. Hopefully we can come to some sort of agreement. http://www.sdconcepts.com/crank_trigger_kits.html

That's all for this weekend. Still trying to obtain an intake...

DG
Old 07-09-2017, 08:36 PM
Launching!

Stripped the motor and ignition system

Got a closer look at the balancer

Dont know WTF this is on the cam lobes... did learn the motor has a solid roller cam

And the wiring begins tomorrow.... oh joy. I keep learning more about this balancer situation. I will be surprised if I can fit the reluctor behind the balancer... there is no space. Now it has to go in front
Old 07-10-2017, 07:39 AM
TECH Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

This is quite a unique build following!
Old 07-26-2017, 10:09 PM
Launching!

So we've been at a standstill waiting for parts to arrive, but I was able to get a couple of things accomplished. Got the Holley efi intake installed. Also a PSI conversion harness arrived at the house. 80% of the way through wiring in the Silverado harness in, I guess my father disagreed with how it looked and broke down an ordered a harness. I will admit, theirs is much better quality and looks a hell of alot better than mine. So thats installed

And we got a little over excited today and pulled the tank BEFORE opening the box with the fuel tank sump. Turns out the sump is aluminum and the tank as we know is stainless steel. I looked all around to see if anyone sold a stainless sump I could weld in specifically and I am turning up with nothing. I'm hoping someone can point me in the direction of a distributor
Old 07-29-2017, 08:13 PM
Launching!

More parts came rolling in today. The FLT trans showed up. Out with the old and in with the new!
Old 08-07-2017, 02:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 543 Likes on 341 Posts

very cool project. Would be curious what the price is for the crank trigger.
Old 08-07-2017, 08:06 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I thought of doing the same thing with my sbc. Look into the trucks that had the vortec 7400. Should be able to use the crank reluctor behind the balancer. If its like a small block the balancer is shorter on the hub to account for the tone ring. The sbc late model vortec are 4x/1x with the cam sensor in the distrbutor. You would need the coil/module/distributor/reluctor/timing cover/balancer and harness. Thats my take, what you are doign is very similar to what I wanted to do. I have a ton of parts if you want to messsage me I dont mind trying to help.

check this out

http://www.pacificp.com/forum/viewto...285749c141977b
Old 08-18-2017, 09:40 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by bttlfed98gt
I thought of doing the same thing with my sbc. Look into the trucks that had the vortec 7400. Should be able to use the crank reluctor behind the balancer. If its like a small block the balancer is shorter on the hub to account for the tone ring. The sbc late model vortec are 4x/1x with the cam sensor in the distrbutor. You would need the coil/module/distributor/reluctor/timing cover/balancer and harness. Thats my take, what you are doign is very similar to what I wanted to do. I have a ton of parts if you want to messsage me I dont mind trying to help.

check this out

http://www.pacificp.com/forum/viewto...285749c141977b
That's my thread lol! I'm working my way through this project slowly and getting sidetracked by good deals on performance parts along the way. Stay tuned for an update in just a moment.
Old 08-18-2017, 09:53 PM
Launching!

Sorry I haven't updated thus thread in a while. I've been working in the car daily but the worst part of this job so far is waiting for the parts to come in; only to realize they sent the wrong ones and having ship them back and do the whole process again. I also keep getting sidetracked with good deals on Craigslist and ebay parts that keep coming up. This project started as a simple transmission swap from a th350 to a 700r4 and now to a 4l60e and has spiraled out of control. We have a Steeroids rack and pinion setup on the way, just finished installing the 12 bolt Rear with strange axles, 3.55 gears, and a yukon posi, new rear suspension, wilwood front and rear brakes. I had the tank sumped for the fuel injection and I'm feeling lately alot like we need to have a Turbo discussion.... what do you guys think?

Old 08-20-2017, 04:35 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

dare to be different! i like your style and the bbc. Long live the non-LS powerplant.
Old 08-21-2017, 03:40 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by brettmc
dare to be different! i like your style and the bbc. Long live the non-LS powerplant.
Thank You
Old 08-21-2017, 03:44 PM
Launching!

Please advise;

I had the tank sumped by a local guy. Welds look outstanding. I filled the tank with water to make sure it doesn't leak. It doesn't. I did notice however that when I "sloshed" the tank back in fourth there were periods where I wasn't getting consistent flow. I looked in the tank and notice that instead of 6 holes like recommended by the sump manufacturer there were only two, a little bigger than a -10 an fitting side by side closest to the front -an ports. So essential the front portion of the sump has no holes... and the fuel has to go all the way to the back of the sump (where the -an fittings are) in order for the fuel to drain into the sump part of the tank and out my fittings. Is this satisfactory??? I had a thought that maybe he did this so once the fuel drains into the sump it stays in the sump but I am also torn between the concept that more holes are better than less.

Opinions?

Dan
Old 08-22-2017, 08:17 AM
TECH Apprentice

A friend of mine has about the same setup in a 67 elco, I believe the thanks are about the same shape. He drilled a bunch of holes for the sump. works fine driving around, only time it acts up is when hes down around a 1/4 tank and slows down it will uncover the pickup and make the pump noisy. I would say that your two holes may help that problem some.
Old 08-22-2017, 09:21 AM
TECH Resident

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Have your thought about an in tank setup?
Old 08-25-2017, 06:25 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by codyvette
Have your thought about an in tank setup?
Yea, I thought about it... and then I sumped the tank. I'm not thinking much about it anymore. Just want to get my current setup, up and running now.

DG
Old 08-27-2017, 01:08 AM
Staging Lane

Default Subbed

Sweet.
Old 09-29-2017, 02:38 PM
Teching In

Any updates on this?

Quick Reply: BBC with 0411 Conversion 72 Chevelle