Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS swapped Chevelle fuel tank options any better?

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2017 | 10:05 AM
11 Second Club

I greatly appreciate it, at this point it's sounding like a very likely solution to the issue with minimal cost/effort since I would literally just need to attach it to a new pickup assembly which is about $35 and pop it in and go.

The rest of my current fuel system has been problem free since I did the swap many years ago other than the annoying habit of keeping the tank 1/2 full or more if I knew for sure I was going to hit some fun curves. It's fine doing normal driving at down to 1/4 or less.

The option with the 5th gen pump assembly looks really nice too. Think it might come down to dropping my tank and figuring out the leak problem then inspecting and deciding what to order at that time. I'll keep eyeballing and doing more reading.

Thanks everyone so far
Old 08-25-2017 | 06:53 PM
Teching In

I know people slam the Spectra tank but I've used it in my 65 Chevelle with an LT1 for 25000 miles and I've never had a problem. I upgraded the fuel pump since I'm going to an LS3 and I just bought one for a 69 Camaro I'm working on. You can't beat the price at Rockauto. $275 plus shipping. Shipping has usually run me about $30. I'll list the number and specs. Heck I'll even pass along the 5% discount code they always send me. I've passed it around and it works with other accounts. I know it's not an outboard pump but maybe it'll help.

Alex

SPECTRA PREMIUM/COOLING DEPOT GM34BFI Includes In-Tank Stock-Capacity Fuel Pump Info
2-Door Coupe; 4-Door Sedan; 39-1/4 In. x 24-1/2 In. x 7-3/4 In.; Engine w/ Late Model Engine w/ Fuel Injection
Old 10-29-2017 | 11:13 AM
11 Second Club

Just an update, last month I ordered the smallest Hydramat and a new pickup along with a 45* compression to 3/8" NPT fitting.

Install was met with challenges due to me already having a box approximately the size of a license plate welded into the tank around the pickup area. The chevelle tank is also barely over 6" deep so it doesn't leave much room to mount the mat and keep the fuel sending unit in place but I got it done. The mat must be coming into contact with the float because now the gauge is stuck so I need to drop it again and bend the float further away.

So far I've only tested with a little less than half a tank (which is where I used to begin running into problems) and so far it's good.

On my last drive though I came upon a county bridge that was poorly maintained and totaled the GM Hot Rod oil pan. So I will not be able to do further testing until I can pull the engine and trans (it also busted the bellhousing) and hopefully replace those items and get it back together.

I came back from vacation on Sept 12th to find out I was fired while I was away so if there is major engine or trans damage the car will be sitting.

The engine shut off instantly and it was an idle at 5mph or so when the pan impacted the lip of the bridge so it could go either way. I just got the car home yesterday and need to see if I can turn it by hand.
Old 10-29-2017 | 09:27 PM
TECH Fanatic
15 Year Member

Originally Posted by thunderstruck507
On my last drive though I came upon a county bridge that was poorly maintained and totaled the GM Hot Rod oil pan. So I will not be able to do further testing until I can pull the engine and trans (it also busted the bellhousing) and hopefully replace those items and get it back together.

That really sucks. I almost used that pan on my wagon build, then found a deal on an F-body pan.

Originally Posted by thunderstruck507
I came back from vacation on Sept 12th to find out I was fired while I was away so if there is major engine or trans damage the car will be sitting.

That's cold as hell...sorry man.
Old 10-29-2017 | 09:30 PM
TECH Senior Member

Dude- So sorry about both your mechanical woes AND your job hassle! I hope things get better soon for ya, man!

Quick Reply: LS swapped Chevelle fuel tank options any better?