Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help with IAT Sensor on LY6 Rock Buggy Swap

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2017, 11:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with IAT Sensor on LY6 Rock Buggy Swap

Hello all, I am new here and at my wits end trying to figure this out. I will try my best to keep this understandable, I am not the brightest crayon in the box when it comes to wiring.

The motor I have is a 2009 LY6 out of a 2500HD. I have been running it about 2 years and love it, but have had these IAT issues since day one. It is all stock, dyno tuned, with a thinned out harness, emissions stuff removed, etc. I am running a 5 wire card style MAF/IAT (213-4222). The IAT will not read anything other than -40 on my scanner. My tuner (using HP Tuners) reported the same thing on his end. The 2 IAT wires are ran to pins 37 and 38 on the E38 ECM.

For the most part it runs excellent. Startup is the problem... After it sits for a while, and I go to fire it up, it throws a P0116 code for coolant temp out of range. My understanding is that after sitting, the ECM will compare the coolant temp sensor to the IAT, if it's not close it will throw that code and not start. I clear the code and it starts up, runs rich until its warm, then runs great.

I have been told to switch to a 2 wire IAT (213-243). I'm just not quite convinced that is my issue. Anyone have any input or done an LY6 swap and ran into this?

Any advice would be really appreciated!

Last edited by Live24wheel; 09-30-2017 at 12:31 AM. Reason: Deleted a word.
Old 09-30-2017, 09:53 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,140 Likes on 2,449 Posts

How involved is it to switch to the 2-wire? If not bad, just try it. You never know.....
Old 09-30-2017, 10:03 AM

Originally Posted by G Atsma
How involved is it to switch to the 2-wire? If not bad, just try it. You never know.....
Easy I believe. Ordered a Caspers breakout harness for under $25. As long as the plugs are the same... I will give it a shot and see what happens!
Old 10-01-2017, 01:18 PM

To add to my previous comments about why I am not convinced it will work is because I see some of the LS guys, GTO's specifically, buy the Caspers breakout harness to move the IAT due to heat soak issues. Their ECM's reads the 5 wire and the 2 wire just fine, telling me they operate similarly, one is just not built into the MAF card.

I do have a 2 wire IAT here that I will try once the Caspers harness gets here and report back. Anyone have any other input or anything I should look at?
Old 10-01-2017, 04:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 334 Likes on 227 Posts

Have you tried a different 5 wire maf? I mean, changed yours out for a known good one...???
Old 10-01-2017, 04:50 PM

Originally Posted by CattleAc
Have you tried a different 5 wire maf? I mean, changed yours out for a known good one...???
No I have not. Don't know anyone running one. I am going to order another one and give it a shot along with trying that Caspers harness and 2 wire IAT. Hopefully one of these options fixes it!
Old 10-01-2017, 06:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 334 Likes on 227 Posts

I'll bet when you get the -40 fixed it'll run even better when it's warmed up...you'll notice way better driveability when it leans out...

Got any pictures of what I assume is a LS powered buggy???

Quick Reply: Help with IAT Sensor on LY6 Rock Buggy Swap