Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2003 Mustang LM7/4L80e Swap

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2018, 12:37 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are you talking about the body, or the wiring harness?

For the body, I really wanted the extra space. I enjoy fabrication and trying new things, so I figured why not. I don't know if I'll be saving any weight, but that wasn't the end goal. I'm hoping to dive into the turbo world with this car, so this also gives me tons of space for a turbo and exhaust routing.

For the Chassis Harness, I really wanted to get rid of all of the modules and junk that Ford added into these years of mustangs. The inertia switch, GEM, CCRM, FPRM, etc. I've seen too many issues from the CCRM and GEM, so eliminating those would eliminate any potential headaches later on. I also plan on wiring in an alarm system, remote start, and some other controllers for windows and what not.

I tend to go to far and deep into stuff than needed, which I obviously did here, but I'll know every single inch of this car. Everything will have been gone through and updated, cleaned, fixed, whatever.
Old 02-16-2018, 01:36 PM
TECH Regular

Received 41 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Andler2008
Are you talking about the body, or the wiring harness?

For the body, I really wanted the extra space. I enjoy fabrication and trying new things, so I figured why not. I don't know if I'll be saving any weight, but that wasn't the end goal. I'm hoping to dive into the turbo world with this car, so this also gives me tons of space for a turbo and exhaust routing.

For the Chassis Harness, I really wanted to get rid of all of the modules and junk that Ford added into these years of mustangs. The inertia switch, GEM, CCRM, FPRM, etc. I've seen too many issues from the CCRM and GEM, so eliminating those would eliminate any potential headaches later on. I also plan on wiring in an alarm system, remote start, and some other controllers for windows and what not.

I tend to go to far and deep into stuff than needed, which I obviously did here, but I'll know every single inch of this car. Everything will have been gone through and updated, cleaned, fixed, whatever.

I said body harness, I guess I meant chassis harness. All the crap in these cars scare me so I just left everything as it was in mine. Everything is still working so far (knock on wood) as factory only time will tell I guess. lol
Old 02-16-2018, 01:58 PM
On The Tree

Is yours running and driving?

If I really wanted to do it easy and just get the car going, I'm sure I could've just grabbed v8 Harness and splice all the connections and sensors into the LS stuff, but I had a V6 to start with, so I didn't think the V6 gauges and ECU would cooperate with the V8 ECU and engine.
Old 02-16-2018, 02:28 PM
TECH Regular

Is yours running and driving?

If I really wanted to do it easy and just get the car going, I'm sure I could've just grabbed v8 Harness and splice all the connections and sensors into the LS stuff, but I had a V6 to start with, so I didn't think the V6 gauges and ECU would cooperate with the V8 ECU and engine.

Runs and drives and its an absolutely blast I've never been happier. Mine was a v6 and for all the work and money involved in getting the factory gauges to work I abandoned that idea a month or so a go. I swapped a 2000 Camaro gauge cluster in since it was going to be the cheapest route. I was really against the idea but it actually looks better than I expected. So basically the car is just key'd on as far is it knows. So power windows and door locks, heat, all that works fine. I did all this outside with no garage on jacks and stands. If I were to do it again with a garage I would definitely spend more time and make it look more presentable I just really needed to get it done before it snowed. I guess at the end of the day its all what you can live with in terms of neatness. I wished mine looked as clean as yours will.
Old 02-19-2018, 08:34 AM
On The Tree

LOL

I wish I had mine running and going, then just upgrade stuff as I go. But at least now I know the car from top to bottom. I'm getting excited as it's finally starting to get warmer here. I've been playing PUBG on xbox this winter because it's been too cold to get outside. Now I need to push one addiction to the side for the other.
Old 02-19-2018, 09:20 AM
On The Tree

That's how I am with putting together my other projects in the winter lol. I play the **** out of PUBG in my freetime when it's told cold in the garage lol
Old 02-20-2018, 07:57 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

LOL

I wish I had mine running and going, then just upgrade stuff as I go. But at least now I know the car from top to bottom. I'm getting excited as it's finally starting to get warmer here. I've been playing PUBG on xbox this winter because it's been too cold to get outside. Now I need to push one addiction to the side for the other.
i know that struggle. i got swallowed up by ffxv and its hard to want to go do stuff outside when the weather isnt perfect.
Old 02-22-2018, 07:26 AM
TECH Regular

LOL

HAHA! If I start playing my xbox I won't stop to actually work on the car. I guess I can only have one thing to play with at a time lol. We had decent weather this week but it's been a struggle with the weather. I think it was 13 degrees outside when I got the brilliant idea to swap my injectors. It's not really the cold that bothers me just the elements hence needing a garage. Hopefully I'll but a house with one soon. Then it'll be many more projects! haha
Old 02-22-2018, 07:31 AM
On The Tree

Yeah I need to stick to one thing at a time. But I really want to get a Scar 16 and SBR it. Or finish the interior of my garage. Or lift my truck. See how things go with me?!?!?!!

The daily struggle lol
Old 02-22-2018, 08:25 AM
TECH Regular

Yeah I need to stick to one thing at a time. But I really want to get a Scar 16 and SBR it. Or finish the interior of my garage. Or lift my truck. See how things go with me?!?!?!!

The daily struggle lol

Oh I feel your pain I'm the same way. I picked up another 4l80e on sunday to throw in my other 2000 GT I have along with another 5.3 I have laying around. I decided about 2 weeks ago I'm going to make it a dedicated drag car. Girlfriend was NOT happy since the one I am driving still has gremlins to work out haha. I'll try to document that one a little better since I didn't really on the last build.
Old 04-10-2018, 10:06 AM
On The Tree

How much progress have you made?
Old 04-10-2018, 10:47 AM
On The Tree

LOL Progresss..............

So a few things kinda pulled me away from the car for a bit. This Ohio winter for me and 2 HVAC's running heat pumps/Propane has killed me. About $1200 a month in heating expenses since December. I knew I needed tires for my truck, so I got some wheels too Hostile Fury 22x12 with Amp M/T's 325/50. That was about $3200 down the drain, but.... I mean... LOOK AT IT!!!!

I have been steadily working on getting the fuel system in order, but I also got my AJE K-Member, Spring plates and Motor Mounts in early January.

I just recently got a whole bunch of stuff from Vibrant for the fuel system, which was an additional $350 or so. So not too bad.

I'm going to focus on getting the Fuel Hat configured with the Bulkheads, adding the new fuel pump and reinstalling the tank to start. I am expecting fitment issues with the 90 degree bulkheads coming out of the fuel hat, but I'm not worried about it all that much. Should be a simple fix of cutting out some spare tire space in the trunk. Once that is done, I'll be reinstalling the AJE K-Member, dropping in the engine and transmission, then putting in the rear axle and the front end suspension bits.

It's still pretty cold here in cincy, but my pole barn is an additional 10 degrees colder in the winter and 20 degrees hotter in the summer. But it looks like the temps will be in the 60s-70s this weekend so I'm pretty excited to get out there and work. Plus, I cleaned up the garage on the few 60 degree days we had in March, so at least I'll be ready to go this weekend and get **** done.
Old 04-10-2018, 02:42 PM
TECH Regular

That truck looks sick with those wheels. Definitely worth every penny. Hopefully the weather holds out for you it hasn't been kind here. Its currently snowing outside but it is supposed to be 70 on Saturday so I'm hoping I can get back to the car as well! Keep us posted I like the updates.
Old 04-11-2018, 10:56 AM
On The Tree

Thanks man! My son has baseball practice tonight and the forecast shows a potential high of 60, so i may be able to get out there and do some work tonight after practice.

I did however, come across a small issue. The fuel hat is not flat. It's got a nice big bubble like structure with an outlet and it's not giving me a whole lot of real estate for 2 -8AN bulkhead fittings. I'm thinking about using some 1/4" aluminum plate to make a new one that will utilize the OEM bolt holes and gasket. This will actually decrease the overall height and may mean I won't need to cut any of the trunk floor at all.

I could use steel, but I am am not sure how much of a problem that will be, if any. It obviously won't be as thick, but it'd still serve the same purpose. With a new fuel hat in the works, I'll need to get new bulkheads for the wiring going into the tank which will likely be on order sometime tomorrow. Or I can make my own, I just need to make sure anything used on the fuel side other than the TXL wiring, is fuel safe.
Old 04-11-2018, 11:48 AM
TECH Regular

Thanks man! My son has baseball practice tonight and the forecast shows a potential high of 60, so i may be able to get out there and do some work tonight after practice.

I did however, come across a small issue. The fuel hat is not flat. It's got a nice big bubble like structure with an outlet and it's not giving me a whole lot of real estate for 2 -8AN bulkhead fittings. I'm thinking about using some 1/4" aluminum plate to make a new one that will utilize the OEM bolt holes and gasket. This will actually decrease the overall height and may mean I won't need to cut any of the trunk floor at all.

I could use steel, but I am am not sure how much of a problem that will be, if any. It obviously won't be as thick, but it'd still serve the same purpose. With a new fuel hat in the works, I'll need to get new bulkheads for the wiring going into the tank which will likely be on order sometime tomorrow. Or I can make my own, I just need to make sure anything used on the fuel side other than the TXL wiring, is fuel safe.

Oh wow I'd kill for 60 right now. It snowed and rained here yesterday haha.
No the fuel hat isn't flat at all and when the tank is in it does sit pretty close to the floor of the car. I used a -6an bulkhead fitting drilled right next to the stock 5/16 fitting. It's at a tiny angle but I really didn't have any issues that I noticed. You could take one whack with a bfh right there at the floor and clear up any issues. I have a corvette regulator/filter in the stock fuel filter location so for the return I actually used the stock mustang return line right to the stock feed on the hat. So I only needed one fitting and line added. I was trying to keep it simple and cheap and after matt from sloppy made just shy of a 1000hp on a single 3/8 line I had no fear of it being inadequate.
I also used all the stock fuel pump wiring in that hat. Plugged it back in normal then traced the wires down in the trunk and cut them, running it into a relay and fuse. Battery is right there so it all worked out pretty well. Benefit to plugging everything back into the ford harness is the gauge didn't need any rewiring.
I like the idea of a new plate to cover the existing with the fittings drilled into it but then the wiring will all have to get run through and sealed somehow.
Old 04-11-2018, 12:37 PM
On The Tree

Yeah that is a much simpler solution lol

I always tell myself I don't over think things, but damn that's such a lie

I was thinking about using threaded rod, something fairly small as the feed through the fuel hat. Then use grommets that will fit around it on the fuel hat and use washers on both sides with ring terminals and nuts. I don't know how safe it is(Still researching), but I assume it won't be a problem for all 4 wires. Otherwise, there is tons of info on how to buy the wiring connectors or electrical bulkheads that are fuel safe for fuel hats.

This is one I've been looking at, just didn't want to spend $50 on a connector.
http://www.racetronix.biz/itemdesc.asp?ic=BCWS-001
Old 04-11-2018, 12:47 PM
On The Tree

Here ya go, Post #11. This is my plan.

https://honda-tech.com/forums/weldin...afely-2840399/
Old 04-11-2018, 02:21 PM
TECH Regular

Here ya go, Post #11. This is my plan.

https://honda-tech.com/forums/weldin...afely-2840399/

I have to admit I really like that racetronix bulkhead fitting. If money wasn't an object I'd probably go that route. I like the Honda post 11 too that's very clever. If you look at post 15 that's got me written all over it haha. Drill a hole, jam wires through and use some kind of sealant. Doesn't get any simpler than that!
Old 04-12-2018, 06:09 AM
On The Tree

Yeah it doesn't get any simpler than that.

I am buying my headers from speed engineering tomorrow, I'll be buying a camaro radiator since I already have the fans for it, and I'll be buying the racetronix piece. I wasn't going to, but I want to make sure I don't have any issues with the fuel system. I had a 1991 GSXR 1100 bored out to 1216 with Keihin FCR41's and it caught fire due to a fuel leak from the petcock filling up the holes where the sparkplugs were and subsequently catching fire while I was riding. So I tend to err on the side of caution.

I will also be sending out the PCM to brendan at Lt1swap.com to have it setup for startup.

I really am getting fairly close to starting this thing up. I just need to get some wiring bits for the engine done, then I also need to get my radiator mounts made up so I can mount the radiator and get the hose routing done. I'm hoping within the next month I can get it started. We shall see.
Old 04-12-2018, 10:54 AM
TECH Regular

[QUOTE=Andler2008;19875142]
I will also be sending out the PCM to brendan at Lt1swap.com to have it setup for startup.
QUOTE]

Are you going to look into getting HPTuners yourself? The cost upfront was a bit much but I honestly don't know what I'd do without it at this point. That way you can tinker with it, delete whatever you don't want, set up your fans etc.... it really does pay for itself.

Quick Reply: 2003 Mustang LM7/4L80e Swap