Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS1 in nova help

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2017, 01:29 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS1 in nova help

I've been planning a drag build and it's changed a few times. I was gonna do a 1991 240sx ls1 swap with a pt88 because I like the smaller Japanese tuner cars just a little more than mucle cars (I know kill me) but my dad really really wants to do this in a muscle car. So one of my favorites is a 1970 nova and I'm thinking that's what the final project is gonna be. I had literally every single part and service I need done written down on my parts list but that was for the 240sx ls1 setup. I can't find a bolt on turbo kit for an ls1 in a nova. I found a lot for the 240sx that was especially made for an ls1 in a 1991 240sx, it all just bolts on. But I can't find anything like that for the nova. So my question is do you think I could get away with just using the 240sx ls turbo kit in the nova? the nova will for sure have way more room unlike the 240 so it shouldn't be a problem right? Is there anything in the way in a nova engine bay that isn't there in a 240 bay? if you're wondering what's all going in, 408 ls1 with a t56 6 speed. And I know a kit can be made but the point of this build is that my dad and I do ALL the work, and we're not metal fabricators nor do we have the tools needed for that. So that's why I want a sure thing bolt on kit, we could do some banging in on the car but it would be best if we didn't have to have someone cut up and weld a lot of stuff.
Old 11-20-2017, 02:16 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,140 Likes on 2,449 Posts

If the 240sx turbo parts will physically fit, no reason not to use them. I would think that the Nova would have even more room for the turbo than the Nissan.
Old 11-20-2017, 03:58 PM
TECH Addict

Received 82 Likes on 70 Posts

These are different applications and so may have different requirements. I would not make any assumptions about a 240SX turbo kit fitting in a Nova - in all likelihood it would not and probably wouldn't even give you a good starting place since most of the exhaust routing would be completely different in these applications.

I would start with the Nova/X-body thread in my signature. Check out Nova single turbo builds there and see what they came up with. You are not going to find a turbo "kit" for a Nova but you will be a lot further ahead by reading through those threads and you might be able to get a local fabricator to help you with some of the pipework or even buy someone's used system. Frojoe for example is currently moving from single to dual turbos, so he might have some old parts to sell you.

Quick Reply: LS1 in nova help