Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1986 Olds Cutlass Salon LS1/T56 build

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2018, 06:55 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Went to the junkyard and was able to get the a PCM mount and coolant overflow tank off of a Blazer. Had to cut the stands of the passenger side inner fender to get the assembly low enough to clear the hood. It looks like the tank will clear the AC compressor, AC lines and the battery. I will have to get a Grand National AC drier to move the port over 45 degrees. Also got an AC pressure sensor out of a Chevy Aveo that will be welded in the location shown in the picture. I mapped out where the cruise control module is going to live and got the right cable for it. Forgot to take a picture of that. The car turned the rear tires under it's owner power. The clutch feels good on the lift after adjusting the pedal length.

Old 01-17-2018, 10:53 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,111 Likes on 2,426 Posts

Shaping up nicely! Watching closely as SOMEDAY I'm thinking of LS'ing a G-body.
Old 01-18-2018, 07:27 AM
On The Tree

Finalized the cold air intake, radiator hoses, heater hoses w/bypass valve and mapping out AC line locations.

Used a push in style IAC sensor with GM grommet.

Final location for the cold air intake and the radiator hose. I plan on tying the radiator hose forward some towards the fans to keep it off the cold air intake. I need one more coupler to mount the filter.

Lower radiator hose fitment. This is a Gates 20734.

This is how I plan on running the AC hoses. I could not get the factory manifold to work. The discharge is a #8 hose with the service port on the condenser side.

The factory Oldsmobile receiver/drier outlet port is pointing right at the PCM. I've ordered a Grand National receiver/drier that will move the port counter clockwise. You can see the 45 degree fitting I will use to point the suction hose towards the front of the car. I plan on using a 180 degree fitting near the condenser fittings to route the suction hose back to the compressor. I also found out that the suction port on the compressor manifold is #10 and the receiver/drier outlet is #12. All fittings and hoses came from Vintage Air.

The cruise control module will live between the windshield washer fluid reservoir and the wiper motor. The module came out of an early 90's Silverado and won't need to tie into the PCM. I had to find a cable out of an early 2000's Silverado that had the correct end for the throttlebody.

Routed the heater hoses and moved the engine harness behind the receiver/drier.

Mocked up the 4th gen shifter insulator and the OBDII port.

Two videos of the car. First one is testing the clutch with the car on the ground. Second one is to show how the mufflers sound reving up. To note I'm still down on cylinder #8 waiting on a plug wire.

Old 01-21-2018, 09:46 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

sounds pretty good Duggie! This thing is going to drive awesome!
Old 01-22-2018, 11:58 AM
TECH Addict

Received 106 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by DougsfastZ
Mocked up the 4th gen shifter insulator and the OBDII port.
Where did you get the custom light-up shift ****? I don't even see the wires that are powering it - very clean install!

Old 01-23-2018, 06:46 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by AAIIIC
Where did you get the custom light-up shift ****? I don't even see the wires that are powering it - very clean install!

It's the reflection from the flash on my phone.
Old 01-23-2018, 10:16 PM
Launching!

man thats awesome!! i am pulling the ls1 from my 85 Grand Prix and will be installing it on my 87 Cutlass but keeping the t56 in my GP and will be doing my Cutlass with a 4l65. glad to hear that those Holley parts are fitting great! i just ordered them and will be hopefully beginning my swap soon. Good Job!!
Old 02-23-2018, 08:01 AM
On The Tree

Been working on the car and getting a lot of small stuff done. At this point everything is mounted under the hood and 90% of the wiring is routed and loomed. The cruise control, speedometer and all the gauges work along with the AC. SES light is wired. I drove the car for the first time and no big issues thus far. the 2.54 gears have to go and you can hear the car spin the right rear tire over 4k rpm. The console is in place and need to start mocking up the 3rd gen Camaro shifter boot.

Old 03-24-2018, 08:23 AM
On The Tree

At this point I'm calling the swap complete. I've driven the car about 150 miles with no major issues. We took it it racing and had no problems as well. I will say driving around with the stock 2.56 gears is not enjoyable and rough on the clutch. Next up on the list is either find a 8.5" 10 bolt with 3.42 gears or do a posi with 4.10's in the 7.5" 10 bolt currently in the car.

Old 03-24-2018, 08:29 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,439 Likes on 908 Posts

With a 3.42 gear and some traction, there is a easy 12.xx pass in that car.

Nice work!

Andrew

Quick Reply: 1986 Olds Cutlass Salon LS1/T56 build