Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tightest headers for LS1 pass side?

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2017 | 12:05 PM

Default Tightest headers for LS1 pass side?

Hello all, I have a E36 I am going to stuff a LS1 into (okay, maybe LS6 but thats another story, lol). I have a set of CRX(sp) headers for a manual trans but they are not working with the auto tranny I have. It seems the tubes at the bottom bend directly into the front corners of the pan. The drivers side I should be able to cut a V in the collector and bend it straight but the pass side hits the pan to the point I can not even mount the headers on the block. Since the tubes start bending in the direction of the corner of the pan, there isnt enough room to do anything with the collector. My only choice is another type of header for the pass side.

What long tube header(s) hug the block the most? I need something that hugs the block and up as close to an auto trans as it can get. Anyone know of such a critter?

Thanks
Old 12-24-2017 | 08:15 AM
TECH Addict
15 Year Member

Quite a few E36 swaps around here, hopefully someone can chime in and offer a suggestion. Which transmission are you going with?
Old 12-24-2017 | 09:59 AM

Hello AAIC, how is it going? I have a Turbo 350 I am going to use with the stock block I have laying around, to keep costs cheap for now. If that doesn't last, not sure which way I would go at this point. Yes, I have looked around and see quite a few shorty setups but I am trying to stay with LT. Also, from what I have been reading, Camaro LT headers are about the tightest there is. Not so sure if that is true, but, who else better would know, if they do ? . I can tell you one thing and that is on the pass side, there is nothing special you have to clear like on the drivers side. As long as the bend starting from the flange is short, follows the blocks angle and keeps the pipes going to the back as close as possible to the starter and tranny, I should be fine. Sadly, I am not into welding a set of headers at this time. I would just throw on a set of stock vette manifolds and be done with it but that would be a shame having one side custom headers and then the other side not. Then again, its an option to get her going.

Anyhow, thanks for stopping in to say hey and hope you have a merry x-mas and great holiday.

Quick Reply: Tightest headers for LS1 pass side?