Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

71 Chevelle LQ4 Swap Idle Issues (Videos)

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2017 | 07:15 PM
Launching!

Default 71 Chevelle LQ4 Swap Idle Issues (Videos)

(POSTING FOR A FRIEND)

First time posting here, so I am sorry if I do not follow proper formalities.

Background: 71 Chevelle with a LQ4 swap. TH400 Transmission. Qualifier LS6 Intake Manifold. Custom Turbo Comp Cams. Professional Products 85mm Polished Throttle Body.

Custom Cam Specs:

Problem: I am having issues with getting my Chevelle to idle. I have a few different things that happen. The car will either not start, start and rev high, idle(once or twice)... but never consistently perfect, let me explain.

-Typically with all sensors hooked my car will not turn on and awkwardly revs really high.
Example:

-When i disconnect my TPS I get the car to turn on, seems like things will be good then it dies instantly

-One or Two times I got the car to idle, TPS was unplugged and the throttle was set really awkward and high(you can kind of see it in the video):

**when this did happen I plugged in a bluetooth OBD2 and rpm was only 400.

At first I thought it may be from my VATS not being removed(even though the tuner confirmed)... but i believe being able to idle should have confirmed that they are removed.

My other thought is the trouble is coming from the tune. I talked with the tuner who did my VATS and a local shop and they believed the car would run with my custom cams and just the VATS removed. They believed the cuts are not too aggressive, so idle'ing and driving would be okay.. I am defiantly looking to get a appropriate tune, but wanted to at least get the car running around the block.

I wanted to get some ideas and help. Do you guys/gals think I have a tune issue? Throttle body issue? Something else? What can it be?

Anything will help, this issue is really holding me back from getting the car on the street.

Would love any help.

Thanks in advance
Old 12-21-2017 | 08:00 PM
TECH Regular

Without knowing whats in the tune, its hard to say.

This summer, I built an LQ4 for my 72 Jimmy. I had to move quite a bit from the stock tune to get it to idle. Mine has a 223/231 cam, with similar 0.6xx lift and overlap to yours (PCM of NC Attitude V2 cam, left over from a previous plan).

In general, your cam is less efficient at idle than stock. So you have to, in general, pull fuel and add a little timing. I used this post, among others, to tune mine, and its idling great now:

http://www.silveradoss.com/forums/to...sing-hptuners/
Old 12-25-2017 | 12:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

I think you to find someone to load a better base line tune, Your tuner that just deleted the VATS, I think it needs some more to get it to idle,

Quick Reply: 71 Chevelle LQ4 Swap Idle Issues (Videos)