Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Data Bus Conversion HS CAN >J-1850VPW

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2021, 07:03 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation

Good time. I will tell you a little about myself. I live in Russia, in the Siberian city of Omsk, I decided to replace the engine on my Hummer H3 2010 with a Toyota 1GZ-FE. Question to PeteS160, you have a successful implemented project on J1850 VPW I will be grateful for any help in my situation to link the MPX-Toyota data bus <-> J1850VPW-GM data bus. In my project, I implemented work through timers and external interrupts based on STM32. The mounting board and the circuit are designed by me. The data is partially disassembled, but I still do not fully understand the entire exchange between the blocks. The dashboard shows the current transmission of the box, temperature, speed, rpm, all indication lamps. but there are two problems. This is the instability of data transmission. periodically, the blocks lose sight of my adapter simulating PCM and as a result, errors occur in the operation of ABS ESP climate, distribution. I will be grateful for any help in this matter, in any format of remuneration. Write in private messages, there are coordinates of Whatsapp Viber Skype mail
Old 07-01-2021, 10:52 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,448 Likes on 914 Posts

Originally Posted by FrostY85
Good time. I will tell you a little about myself. I live in Russia, in the Siberian city of Omsk, I decided to replace the engine on my Hummer H3 2010 with a Toyota 1GZ-FE. Question to PeteS160, you have a successful implemented project on J1850 VPW I will be grateful for any help in my situation to link the MPX-Toyota data bus <-> J1850VPW-GM data bus. In my project, I implemented work through timers and external interrupts based on STM32. The mounting board and the circuit are designed by me. The data is partially disassembled, but I still do not fully understand the entire exchange between the blocks. The dashboard shows the current transmission of the box, temperature, speed, rpm, all indication lamps. but there are two problems. This is the instability of data transmission. periodically, the blocks lose sight of my adapter simulating PCM and as a result, errors occur in the operation of ABS ESP climate, distribution. I will be grateful for any help in this matter, in any format of remuneration. Write in private messages, there are coordinates of Whatsapp Viber Skype mail
Have you looked at Wiring Specialties? They may have a solution for you.

Andrew
Old 07-01-2021, 12:30 PM
Teching In

No, I figured out the wires and connection. I need to simulate the operation of a PCM block. The PCM block is now physically absent on the machine. As a result, errors hang on the dashboard and in the other blocks of the car. I need help emulating PCM over the J1850 VPW protocol . My attempts are not stable yet.
Old 07-01-2021, 03:42 PM
Teching In

Default Hey Pete, c5 vette BCM "man in middle"

I read through this post and your work with the J1850 VPW protocol. To the point... I want to intercept(and change) messages between the dash cluster and BCM of a 1998 corvette. Mostly to turn off warning messages. Not an emissions tampering project or anything like that, just a convivence thing. Also tried to PM you, couldn't find the option on this forum. Maybe because I don't post much.

I have seen some arduino libraries floating around and different transceiver designs, but wanted to see how close your work was related to what I want to do. Thoughts?
Thanks
Josh
Old 07-28-2021, 12:28 PM
Teching In

Howdy all, I have bene reading this thread with great interest. I have a 1995 Yukon GT with a 2005 5.3 L33 GM LS engine. I am running the stock PDM from the 2005 Silverado and my stock 1995 Yukon cluster (all gauges functioning 100%) at the moment. I have a ECUMaster ADU-7 display I am looking to swap into the truck. Aside from conventional inputs from each sending unit the display also features 2 x CAN 2.0B busses at (250, 500, or 1000 kbps) as well as an independent Serial: RS232 (Rx,Tx) input. I am looking for a way to convert the J1850 VPW signal from my stock GM PDM to display information from the PDM on the display.

PeteS160 I am reasonably familiar with CAN BUS theory and have been learning a bit about J1850 VPW as well which is how I discovered this thread.

Pete is this something you could help me with?

Thanks
Old 08-10-2021, 08:38 PM
Teching In

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

PeteS160, I've been reading through this thread over and over and am completely impressed with the work and what you've accomplished. It's been particularly interesting for me, as I'm in the process of restoring my 4th gen TA. I'm exploring the idea of modernizing the instrument cluster with a completely digital version. Lately I've been looking at RealDash, but an OBD connection is limited and ultimately would feel a little janky. I'm curious if your work here would make that conversion more seamless.
Old 03-09-2022, 04:39 PM

Default LM2 swap

PeteS160, your work is awesome! I am looking at swapping an LM2 into an 03 2500 suburban with quadrasteer and am wondering if you have any thoughts on the feasibility of this and if you would be willing to build a converter. to make them play nicely together. Ideally I would like to be able to keep everything as stock as possible from an electronics standpoint. Thanks for your time, great work!
Old 03-09-2022, 05:02 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,155 Likes on 2,462 Posts

PeteS160 doesn't show him being here after last November, but maybe he still visits here. So hang on, he might show up
Old 03-10-2022, 09:03 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 600 Likes on 476 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael Yount
It took me decades just to figure out how to spell analog....
lmao tff
Old 09-10-2022, 04:07 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by PeteS160
That is a bit of an interesting combination you have there.

I can convert the data from the LS3 ECU into the format the trucks looking for....but....my real concern if the fuel gauge.

Do you have the E38 wired to the trucks sending unit....or have you tried wiring it up that way? Of course its not going to read on the dash like that but if your able to read fuel level with the E38 then all the data from the ECU can be collected and converted to the trucks bus format and protocol.

The only real drawback with the E38/E67 ECU's is they can't be read using the streamed data that's sent between modules like they are in stock application's. For what ever reason until global A the cars, trucks and vans all use their own unique messages and even then those messages change from year to year on the same vehicle's. What this means is the data needs to be collected from the data bus in the same manner a scan tool would communicate with the ECU. There is nothing wrong with doing it this way, however only 1 tool is able to talk to the ECU at a time, meaning that if an actual scan tool was connected to the vehicle the conversion module has to stop collecting data to prevent it from interfering with the scan tool. So, when doing things like data logging in most cases any information that's being requested from the ECU will cease until the scan tool is unhooked from the vehicle. There are some situations where data can still be read, if the scan tool reading the bus is using the same message request formats as the module, the module is able to stop sending requests and instead simple read the the data the scan tool is collecting. Unfortunately since there are about a dozen different ways that a scan tool can read data its impossible to make it work this way with all types of scan tools.

The only thing I'm not sure I have information on for the trucks data bus is the trans temp gauge. That I would have to do some digging in notes to see if it was something I even looked for since I don't have any 2500 clusters.
What ever happened to this project? Did you get this done?

I can enable the broadcast message that do send all this data on any OS.

Old 04-12-2023, 07:36 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by PeteS160
Just wanted to share something I've been working on recently that some may find useful and even intriguing. As car and trucks have gotten newer the methods we've used for gauges in the past have become almost obsolete. Once you jump into the 4th gen stuff your getting into modules and such to convert the signals to something that an "older" style cluster can work with or if your doing a swap into another type of vehicle you may be looking at needing to replace the instrument cluster with an aftermarket gauge set just to get things working....unless your ready to drop some serous coin for high end conversion modules.

This work was prompted by a guy I know that was looking to put an LS into a 2010 Jeep Wrangler but he was torn on loosing his factory gauges unless he wanted to shell out a couple grand for a conversion kit that would let him retain the factory cluster. He was almost sold on this method until he noticed it REQUIRED a 4th gen LS running an E38 pcm. At that point he bailed and decided to go with a Hemi swap simply due to the cost of getting his gauges to work.

So I decided to see what the big deal was making the gauges work. Before you jump in and start talking smack about every thing being on the data bus bla bla bla hard to do any thing with.....I'm was aware what was needed and I've been working on the 3rd gen data bus for quite some time now and have become fairly familiar with the. The CAN network really isn't much different, things just happen a lot faster and the code structure changed.

So the idea was simple.....Read the bus on a pcm, convert that data into the appropriate format and feed that data back out to the cluster. The first issues to overcome was that the networks would be operating at different speeds based on the type of protocol the Pcm uses. The next thing I had to be able to do was spoof a Vin number to the cluster and pcm so they would talk to each other, but that's not as hard as it sounds. The final hurdle was finding a micro controller that had multiple UART bridges and could handle running two sets of data feeds and handle the conversion of the data in real time. Well after speeding the last couple days hammering out the timing and data conversion I have a algorithm that works. I can take any data message from the data bus regardless of protocol and alter the data into what every format I need. Now this hasn't been done on a cluster yet partly for safety reasons and also because I wasn't sure what cluster I wanted to test it out with to start. I was shocked when I called around at what some of these late model clusters cost....so it'll likely be tested initially with an 06 or 07 NBS cluster since they were the least expensive, but once this works on ANY cluster it's just a matter of sorting out the data from the host vehicles pcm and then the pcm from the instrument cluster of the donor vehicle. My experience with GM is the data used is pretty universal across the years and different vehicle types so it's not like it's unique to one specific vehicle, it would be more like it's specific to that pcm family.

Here's a screen clip where I was taking the serial data read from a pcm on the left; modifying that data and sending it back out but now at 1/2 the speed it was being read.

Updating this post with the link to the "Making Of" video.

https://youtu.be/_J1o8HOht-g
hello petes160

am doing an ls2 swap in my Lincoln town car
and I’ve heard that there is away to get the cluster work with E38 ecm.
Old 06-15-2023, 12:33 PM
Teching In

I need a unit for a 2001 Chevy 1500 with a LSA PCM.
Old 06-15-2023, 01:32 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,155 Likes on 2,462 Posts

Originally Posted by Clouds Bane
I need a unit for a 2001 Chevy 1500 with a LSA PCM.
Who are you asking??
Old 03-10-2024, 05:48 PM
Teching In

Bringing back a dead thread i know... but did this ever come to market as a buyable option?

Quick Reply: Data Bus Conversion HS CAN >J-1850VPW