Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The Pos Racing MaliBULL - 1966 Chevelle 4 door hardtop LM7 build thread IT RUNS! VID!

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2018, 08:46 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,190 Likes on 2,492 Posts

Originally Posted by DailyGTO
......... the 2.90 rear paired with the M20 tall first gear is as brutal as ever:....

Chevelle LM7 first start and drive
....... on the clutch! lol
Old 05-13-2018, 09:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 212 Likes on 171 Posts

Here's my question for you. Does your Chevelle hood close over the top of that tall LM7 VORTEC intake? I'm worrying that my cowl induction hood that has more structure underneath than a stock standard hood will not close over my LM7 down inside my 70 El Camino. I just hung two fenders this afternoon and I will get my oldest son to help me fit my hood later this week. I also just got my LM7 running in my EC last week but I don't have a real fuel system - just a small, pressurized threaded PVC canister that I made. Its good for maybe twenty minutes of running time.

I'm already trying to figure out how much of the cowl induction under-hood sheet metal structure I can safely remove and still maintain a stiff hood. I don't care if the cowl induction part of my hood actually operates but I sure like the way it looks on top.

Rick
Old 05-14-2018, 07:55 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by G Atsma
....... on the clutch! lol
Yes indeed! After I get an exhaust the next stop will be the 3.73 rear.

Originally Posted by B52bombardier1
Here's my question for you. Does your Chevelle hood close over the top of that tall LM7 VORTEC intake? I'm worrying that my cowl induction hood that has more structure underneath than a stock standard hood will not close over my LM7 down inside my 70 El Camino. I just hung two fenders this afternoon and I will get my oldest son to help me fit my hood later this week. I also just got my LM7 running in my EC last week but I don't have a real fuel system - just a small, pressurized threaded PVC canister that I made. Its good for maybe twenty minutes of running time.

I'm already trying to figure out how much of the cowl induction under-hood sheet metal structure I can safely remove and still maintain a stiff hood. I don't care if the cowl induction part of my hood actually operates but I sure like the way it looks on top.

Rick
Rick,

My hood closes without any clearance issues. That said, I dont know how much room I have to spare. If I get a chance this evening I will try to get a basic idea of how close the hood and intake are and report back. Remember that I am using the "stock SBC" engine location, so if you are not, your clearance might be a little bit different.

Congrats on getting your LM7 running!
Old 05-15-2018, 09:51 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DailyGTO
Yes indeed! After I get an exhaust the next stop will be the 3.73 rear.

Rick,

My hood closes without any clearance issues. That said, I dont know how much room I have to spare. If I get a chance this evening I will try to get a basic idea of how close the hood and intake are and report back. Remember that I am using the "stock SBC" engine location, so if you are not, your clearance might be a little bit different.

Congrats on getting your LM7 running!
I used some Play doh on various points of the intake last night to check hood clearance. Blue, Pink and Green color, the pic below is after i had shut and reopened the hood. the hood never touched the play doh which was a solid 1.5 inch above the highest points of the intake. So I dont really know how much clearance I have, I just know its a decent amount. Again I just have the plain stock hood without any cool cowl or vents.