Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Swapping an LS1 into a 02 Gmc Sierra

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2004, 04:09 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Swapping an LS1 into a 02 Gmc Sierra

Hey everyone i am new to the truck scene, and recently traded in my Gti for a 4.8 liter Gmc Sierra! I am already pondering about swapping in a LS1 and I am not really sure what modifications have to be made to make it work, i used to own a 02 s-10 and was goin to do the same swap but totaled it awhile ago before the Gti, and was unable to do it. Now i am on bigger and better things. Just asking for someone to send me into the right direction here, i was told that the LS1 will bolt right up to the trans etc?
Old 07-07-2004, 02:22 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 02GmcSierra
Hey everyone i am new to the truck scene, and recently traded in my Gti for a 4.8 liter Gmc Sierra! I am already pondering about swapping in a LS1 and I am not really sure what modifications have to be made to make it work, i used to own a 02 s-10 and was goin to do the same swap but totaled it awhile ago before the Gti, and was unable to do it. Now i am on bigger and better things. Just asking for someone to send me into the right direction here, i was told that the LS1 will bolt right up to the trans etc?
the 4.8 is an ls1
Old 07-07-2004, 09:34 AM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 46 Likes on 19 Posts

Yes, your 4.8L engine is LS1 based. You simply remove the shortblock, keep your nice high compression heads, and slap the aluminum LS1 shortblock into the truck. Everything should bolt right up. But, while you are at it go ahead and install some better valve springs and a bigger camshaft, and some headers. That will wake the truck up. The rest is the same.

Check out our truck forums here, they are filled with info. Personally, I'd suggest you build up a nice 6.0L with some ported heads instead of just doing an LS1 swap.
Old 07-07-2004, 03:19 PM
Teching In

well i was thinking about a Procharged LS1 that is what i would like to do

Quick Reply: Swapping an LS1 into a 02 Gmc Sierra