Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Budget 5.3 in a '69 Bird Newb questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2018, 07:17 PM
Staging Lane

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Budget 5.3 in a '69 Bird Newb questions

I have a '69 Firebird with an ill running chevy 350 in it. I am trying to make this as minimal a project as possible so I can get it running this spring.
My thoughts are get another old school carbed 350 and plug it in cheap or what I would like to do is get a complete 5.3 to put in her.

If I go the 5.3 route what are the other items that I would need?
In-line fuel pump at the least
electric fan?
Engine swap mounts

I'd like to maybe even add a 4 speed modern trans like a 4l60....or even a manual. what would be needed to add that?
Old 04-23-2018, 01:55 AM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by T/A Addict
I have a '69 Firebird with an ill running chevy 350 in it. I am trying to make this as minimal a project as possible so I can get it running this spring.
My thoughts are get another old school carbed 350 and plug it in cheap or what I would like to do is get a complete 5.3 to put in her.

If I go the 5.3 route what are the other items that I would need?
In-line fuel pump at the least
electric fan?
Engine swap mounts

I'd like to maybe even add a 4 speed modern trans like a 4l60....or even a manual. what would be needed to add that?
Get the motor mount plates from hooker, oil pan, I used an electric fan setup on mine. If you’re going to buy mounts then just get the new style that hooker has and converts the motor mount to the clamshell style mount. You’ll appreciate it later, ask me how I know.
Old 04-23-2018, 05:13 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by seanb128
Get the motor mount plates from hooker, oil pan, I used an electric fan setup on mine. If you’re going to buy mounts then just get the new style that hooker has and converts the motor mount to the clamshell style mount. You’ll appreciate it later, ask me how I know.

Thanks..... I did just run across your project thread late yesterday and have yet to read through it. I'm sure it will have some relevant information.
Old 04-23-2018, 05:19 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 199 Likes on 160 Posts

You will need a Powertrain Control Module (PCM) with an adapted wiring harness and with a reflashed PCM to run your engine. Drive shaft shortened if you go to a 4L60E trans. Likely different trans cross member. Likely a set of headers because your LS exhaust manifolds might not fit.

The costs add up quickly.

Rick
Old 04-23-2018, 05:44 AM
Staging Lane

Thanks for the info..... Not what I was hoping to hear but not surprised either. Maybe I'll just try to find a good used Pontiac 400/455 or another Chevy 350 to plug in then and save that LS project for later.
Old 04-23-2018, 06:40 AM
TECH Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Stock fuel tank? Didn't see what you have there... it will need to be sumped.

Reach out to dirty dingo for swap mounts... used their sliders in 2 Nova builds and they work great

You will need a wiring harness or re work whatever comes with your 5.3
Old 04-23-2018, 09:06 AM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you do run into an issue, I used LS3 manifolds from a 5th gen Camaro and they fit pretty well. A little close to the Power steering box. I need to go back and update my gas tank though, what I did works but it isn’t the right way. Get a sumped gas tank or and in-tank pump