Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My first ls swap and motor seized HELP

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2018, 11:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My first ls swap and motor seized HELP

Hi everyone after 7 months of working on this project
putting a ls1 with 4l60e into a 89 jeep comanche I finally finish with wiring. I decided to start the engine with no water just to see if it will fire up ... first attempt and engine fire right up tears of joy I was so happy. To hear it run... so i started putting everything back radiator,hoses, fans, build the exhaust ect... so when I had everything put back together i started the truck let it run for 15 mins to get operational temp. Put in reverse and it dies back to park started the truck 10 seconds and it died.. try starting no crank just a click from the starter. I kept clicking it to see if the starter was stuck then I see smoke the negative terminal had melted.. and ground wire was really hot so I when to the auto parts store bought new cable and terminal, I then started the engine 3 seconds and it died now i replace the starter, cables, battery it's new.. went on YouTube so they said try to turn engine by hand. So try that and nope no luck turning the engine. By hand so that's why my starter cables were getting hot because the starter cant turn the engine... why would the engine seize, had 98k miles from the wreck t/a before I started i put 6 quarts of new 10-30w synthetic oil. I'm loss need help hopefully it's not seize could of the torque converter seize the engine?
Old 04-24-2018, 11:47 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did you leave the trans in neutral and pull all of the plugs to lessen the resistance?

I noticed when trying to turn the engine by hand with a socket wrench, it wouldn't turn. (Engine out of car) I took the trans off and it spun freely. Not sure if I had something binding up on the back end, (4l80e-5.3) but that's my experience.
Old 04-24-2018, 12:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 82 Likes on 60 Posts

As stated I would pull all the plugs and try to turn the motor over by hand with a large ratchet or breaker bar and socket on the crank. How was the oil pressure when it ran?
Old 04-24-2018, 12:58 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

did you forget to put fluid in the trans?
Old 04-24-2018, 01:40 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 433 Likes on 304 Posts

Originally Posted by ditchdrift
did you forget to put fluid in the trans?
X2. The transmission used was not mentioned. If the trans was low or empty it could have sized up as well.
Old 04-24-2018, 04:17 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 197 Likes on 143 Posts

Several things come to mind.. Did you swap oil pans/pick up tubes? Because if you did and didnt get the o ring seated right it may have been sucking air and not oil. Like the other guy said, did it have oil pressure when it was running? I have never personally seen an automatic transmission sieze up and keep an engine from running, but take the 3 torque converter bolts out and see if it spins freely.