Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

School me on AC

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2018, 11:33 AM
On The Tree

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Default School me on AC

Trying to sort through options for AC on my 96 Impala SS LS swap. I'm still working on the easy part (that is fitment of the compressor/bracket) and have already determined that the 2010 Camaro AC will not work without significant chassis clearancing. It appears that the truck bracket will work fine though, as the mounting points are on the top and bottom side of the compressor and not the rear.

What I'm having an issue with is what compressor I should be using. AC will be somewhat critical in this car as I will likely be plumbing it into an interchiller type setup, so it will be cooling me as well as the blower.

I originally figured a factory AC Delco compressor would be the way to go so I plugged in 2008 5.3 silverado to rock auto and came up with two different compressors, PN 152940 and PN 1520941 (significantly cheaper).
Then there's also the option of a Denso compressor, but I'm not sure how they compare to the factory Delco compressors.

I also saw an option from Dirty Dingo using a Sanden SD7b10 compressor. The kit tucks the compressor up real tight to the block, and being a mini compressor it would probably mean fitment with no chassis notching necessary, but I just don't know how this compressor stacks up against some of the larger OEM replacement options.

I'm lost here and can use some schooling. I'm not too keen on what I should be doing with the rest of the AC system either (using factory replacement condenser and accumulator or using one from the specific year/model compressor I'll be using),
I would greatly appreciate any help anyone could provide
Old 07-06-2018, 01:18 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,476 Likes on 927 Posts

I don't think the 96 AC compressors were anything special. As far as I can tell you just need to make sure that it is a fixed output style compressor (as most old ones are). The newer compressors are variable output and are not compatible with older systems.

Someone with more AC experience will no doubt chime in.

Andrew
Old 07-06-2018, 01:58 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 468 Likes on 352 Posts

What’s the heat load requirement for the blower?
Old 07-07-2018, 07:28 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I have the sanden /dirty dingo set up on my 83 cutlass . Way better compresser than the old style one I had. Blows almost too cold. Handles high rpm with ease. Just make sure you go sanden and not a Chinese copy. Had one that lasted a week. The genuine sanden sd7 has been in there for a year with no issues.i just bought a chiller for my whipple 2.9’ but I haven’t installed it yet.
Old 07-08-2018, 10:32 AM
On The Tree

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Andrew, that's what I was worried about (the variable output thing). I'm not actually sure how to determine which newer style compressors are variable output and which ones aren't. Most websites selling them don't list too much regarding the specs of the compressors. Even when trying to compare output, which is listed for the Sanden mini compressor/dirty dingo kit, I can't find any info on the output CC of the Delco compressors. I've even heard people say that the variable rate compressors WOULD work, I have seen a lot of people say otherwise but have never heard a reason why.

Miachel, not sure how I'd even get that info. I suppose I could call whipple. Why do you ask?

JimmyG, that's good news. I am considering just going with that setup as using it on a truck spacing may mean no clearancing required at all and if for some reason I jump ship on the whipple and end up with a cheaper LSA setup, the mini compressor would likely require much less clearancing. I don't want to take any huge chunks out of the chassis, but I don't mind notching a slight bit.

I just really didn't want to stray from OEM parts as I know they work. Not worried about the Sanden name obviously, just want to know that the compressor performs the same and can handle the same load that a factory later model compressor could.
Old 07-08-2018, 04:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Variable compressors are compatible with any ac unit type. If you want or need to use one remove the low cutout switch and your good to go. The rest of your factory stock stuff would be recommended over anything else.

Quick Reply: School me on AC