Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Boosted Kaiser-Willys build

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2018, 06:20 PM
Teching In

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

One of my goals regarding this build is to make everything modular and easily replacible. Seeing that we are using a 63 year old chassis, I wanted to be able to swap everything over to a new one should I hurt/crack the original one. That being said, I got the engine situated today, so tomorrow I can hopefully cnc some engine plates that will bolt to the chassis.

Once again, Murph showed up to give his approval.

The following users liked this post:
transam5.7lt1 (01-30-2020)
Old 08-09-2018, 06:33 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,155 Likes on 2,462 Posts

Looks like Murph DOES approve! lol
Old 08-10-2018, 08:44 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

I think he is ready for a ride.

Stampede.
Old 08-10-2018, 09:54 AM
Teching In

Agreed. I can’t keep him out of my way anytime we tinker in the shop. He just always has to be involved.
Old 08-10-2018, 04:56 PM
TECH Addict

Received 202 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by c4 monster
One of my goals regarding this build is to make everything modular and easily replacible. Seeing that we are using a 63 year old chassis, I wanted to be able to swap everything over to a new one should I hurt/crack the original one. That being said, I got the engine situated today, so tomorrow I can hopefully cnc some engine plates that will bolt to the chassis.

Once again, Murph showed up to give his approval.

I have heard of Horse Power, but this is ridiculous! Thats a great looking pup! I love it when I dog won't leave your side. Maybe one day I'll get another.

This should be a great build! 2 years ago, there were 2 *****'s out at LS Fest. I am hoping they both show back up this year. They both have big sponsors now, so I imagine they will be there. I'll grab some pics if they are for you, just in case you don't make it down there. I watched one of them go from like a 30mph roll then, and WOW!
Old 08-13-2018, 09:47 PM
Teching In

We got very lucky with Murph, he’s incredibly well behaved for his age (just likes to mark his territory everywhere..)

As for the LSx ******, id love to see it in person one day. I’m curious what he did for suspension. I set the car up with factory springs, ladder bars, and an axle floater (which allowed me to also raise the axle off the perch about 3”). Still having troubles with getting the car low enough to overcome that 4x4 look. I think I’m going to end up pulling a couple leafs out of the pack and fabbing up some shorter shackles.
Old 09-01-2018, 05:49 PM
Teching In

Recently I have returned back to school for the semester, so the Jeep is on hold until I get a break. To entertain, here are some pictures of when we found it.

Old 09-01-2018, 06:03 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,155 Likes on 2,462 Posts

A real ex-boonie basher!
Old 12-22-2018, 07:07 PM
Teching In

Finally off for the semester and had a little time to tinker with the jeep. Started mocking up the panels and it looks like I am going to have some minor fitment issues with the grill. Now I'm just waiting on the th400 to show so I can fab up a cross member and get the drivetrain settled in. We decided to run twins with an air to water setup. Aside from having to shorten the headers, it looks like everything should fit quite nicely.

Old 12-23-2018, 11:59 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 600 Likes on 476 Posts

Is anybody else getting "turned on" by that calf figurine, or is it just me?

LOL
Seriously though, this should be a fun build. I'm digging the shop too.
Old 01-30-2020, 10:53 AM
Teching In

Still here, folks! Unfortunately my father lost his battle with cancer, and as a result all projects where put on hold for a good while. Now that things are starting to get back to normal I was able to move the Jeep back home to Houston (where I frequent much more regularly), which means I am finally able to resume work. Not much has been done since my last post so there isn't a whole lot to look at, but moving forward I'm hoping to pick up the pace on things. Side note, I did pick up a c450 as a new daily. For a heavy 4 door sedan with nothing more than a tune, this thing moves.

transam5.7lt1 (01-30-2020)
Old 04-02-2020, 04:46 PM
Teching In

Work has slowly resumed. Due to this who corona virus I've been around the house a lot more with a fair bit of time to myself. Today I got around to locating the rear and and planning out the drop brackets for the ladder bars. Hopefully next week will offer a lot more progress. The goal is to finally have myself wired for 220 so I can burn some mounts together and get the engine settled in, as well as also coat the belly of the tub and finally mount it to the chassis for good. Unsurprisingly, Ive already had some issues with fitment on the front clip, but that's something that'll be addressed at a later time. On the plus side, after puling the dash and tunnel there appears to be plenty of real estate to work with.

Old 05-12-2020, 03:15 PM
Teching In

Bottom of the tub has finally been Raptor-Lined, and she's mounted to the chassis!

Old 05-12-2020, 03:41 PM
Teching In

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Great build! Hit subscribe so I can follow along definitely a neat project!
c4 monster (05-12-2020)
Old 05-12-2020, 03:54 PM
Teching In

Thank you! Its been a slow process, but lately I've been able to devote more and more time to this build.
Old 06-04-2020, 09:39 AM
Teching In

Mock up has finally begun. Need to drop the engine about another 1" to clear the firewall with the bell housing, but aside this it looks like everything will fit nicely. Ignore the crooked headlights, they are just resting in place lol

Old 06-04-2020, 09:43 AM
Teching In

On a separate note, I'm also open to ideas regarding radiator location. The turbos will be positioned just inside the grill (between the headlights), so this area will be fairly tight. Any horizontal mounting radiators with an aid dam?
Old 06-04-2020, 10:53 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 533 Likes on 341 Posts

Oh, got my attention again. Is that intake manifold going in backwards? If so nice thinking out of the box.

So twin turbos high pressure outlets to a Y and a single cooler? or do they make twin water to air coolers?

Maybe even snorkel or twin snorkel the air intake above the hood.

With the engine and turbos up front, looks like the back will be pretty light.

Carry On!!
Old 06-04-2020, 11:48 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by LSswap
Oh, got my attention again. Is that intake manifold going in backwards? If so nice thinking out of the box.

So twin turbos high pressure outlets to a Y and a single cooler? or do they make twin water to air coolers?

Maybe even snorkel or twin snorkel the air intake above the hood.

With the engine and turbos up front, looks like the back will be pretty light.

Carry On!!
We will be running a single plane intake with a 90 degree elbow facing the firewall, running straight to the air-water cooler mounted on the firewall. It'll likely be a bit heavy on the front end, but ill be mounting the water box and fuel cell in the back of the tub to help compensate some. The turbos will plumb to a single Y and run back to the air-water along the passenger side rail.
Old 05-17-2021, 03:31 PM
Teching In

Recently finished my graduate studies, so its back to work on this thing. Have a front end on the way and hope to have it sitting as a roller soon. Rear is going to need lots of attention, but I finally got the axle located about where it needs to be. Fingers crossed that it will be in primer by the end of June.

wretched73 (05-19-2021)

Quick Reply: Boosted Kaiser-Willys build