Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pulley arrangment

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2004, 11:56 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pulley arrangment

All I've got at the front of my engine is the main pulley, the alternator and the "big black round bit", BBRB, (not blinding you with tech talk, am I?). Can I remove the BBRB and just run a belt round the alternator and the pulley, or will this turn the alternator the wrong way?

Which was round does the engine spin when viewed from the front?
Old 07-07-2004, 12:06 PM
On The Tree

OK, the water pump is behind the big black round thing, right? With the program now...
Old 07-07-2004, 12:31 PM
12 Second Club

The "BBRB" you mention is the water pump pulley. Bypassing it with the belt will cause the coolant not to circulate in your engine - bad.

You could get an electic coolant pump like the Meziere if you're wanting to eliminate the "BBRB". I'm know there must be a way to spin the alternator the correct direction with that kit.

Good luck,
Bad30th
Old 07-07-2004, 05:50 PM
12 Second Club

Also, you might post in the "Conversions and Hybrids" forum on this board, lots of folks there who have dropped LS1's into all kinds of vehicles.

Bad30th
Old 07-08-2004, 07:14 AM
TECH Fanatic

Right now, I'm just running the crank pulley, alternator, water pump, and a tensioner. The tensioner bolts to the water pump to keep tension on the belt (more tech-talk for ya ). I don't think that I'd want to just run from the crank pulley to the alternator without some kind of tensioning device. I guess that if you made the alternator bracket so that it could rotate ala traditional SBC, then you could rotate it to tighten the belt and then tighten a bolt to hold it in place... but then you still have the water pump to worry about unless you go electric.
Hope that helps.

Quick Reply: Pulley arrangment