TECH Senior Member

Received 3,153 Likes on 2,460 Posts

I like the "one in the cylinder" motif! Kind of a Russian Roulette thing?? lol
Old 03-03-2019, 05:20 PM
On The Tree

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by G Atsma
I like the "one in the cylinder" motif! Kind of a Russian Roulette thing?? lol

actually have enough to fill it. Just only had one on me at the time. They are powderless reloads. you can see the primer has been struck already in the one there, but are loaded with lead to give a better look than just having shells in there.
Old 03-03-2019, 06:31 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,153 Likes on 2,460 Posts

I like the Russian Roulette idea- kinda like running nitrous with a bad tune.... you never know....
Old 03-03-2019, 06:35 PM
Staging Lane

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

... then with a little CAD work (cardboard aided design) was able to cut out the pans themselves to rough shape.
I first heard of this on "Project Binky" Check it out on youtube, a very entertaining project about a Mini being converted to 4 wheel drive with a Toyota drivetrain.
Old 03-03-2019, 07:00 PM
TECH Addict

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

I was looking at your engine mounts. Nice job, you obviously have fabrication skills so why even waste your time with trying to buy engine mounts that might fit? I gave up on that long ago and immediately reach for the fabrication tools. Typically I can knock down a set of engine mounts faster than I can make the money it cost me to order them. They'll for sure be complete before the ordered ones arrive that I would either need to modify or send back.

Nice progress.
Old 03-03-2019, 08:27 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by fbrown540
I first heard of this on "Project Binky" Check it out on youtube, a very entertaining project about a Mini being converted to 4 wheel drive with a Toyota drivetrain.
i picked it up from other forums. use it once in a while for stuff like this.

Originally Posted by gofastwclass
I was looking at your engine mounts. Nice job, you obviously have fabrication skills so why even waste your time with trying to buy engine mounts that might fit? I gave up on that long ago and immediately reach for the fabrication tools. Typically I can knock down a set of engine mounts faster than I can make the money it cost me to order them. They'll for sure be complete before the ordered ones arrive that I would either need to modify or send back.

Nice progress.
Thanks, I wish i would have just made them from the get go, cost me some time trying to find the correct ones to buy and i have less than an hour in making these, Less if i would have MIG'd them instead of TIG.

progress will be slow this week though. Been trying to work on it at least once a week, if not twice a week but life is trying to get in the way this week. Didn't want to take a break, but looks like i may have too.
Old 03-03-2019, 10:27 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What a awesome project! Let me know when your done.
I have a S10 that needs cab corners!
Old 03-24-2019, 05:23 PM
On The Tree

after a much longer hiatus than intended, work has started once more on the car. Had an unexpected opportunity come up and i could not pass it up and it cost me tons of time but was totally worth it. But back to the grind, Pedals this week.

Started with 6 pedals, from 3 cars. 3 stock pedals and bracket from the donor 2000 Camaro SS, stock DBW pedal from a 2003-ish yukon, and of course the stock 2 pedals from the Wagon.

Had to remove just the clutch pedal from the Camaro setup. Simple enough with just 2 small welds

It was then welded to the stock Impala brake pedal mount after some slight modification to it to accept the larger bolt that held the camaro pedal on.

I then had to use the stock camaro brake pedal, as it was for a manual car and smaller than my auto pedal to help clear for 3 pedals. The pin to attach the MC was on the wrong side. Simple fix though. Grind it down a touch, press it out, swap side and press it back in. a little weld and it is good as new.

I had intended on getting pics of doing the throttle pedal as well. i failed and only got this pic. I ended up cutting off the pedal arm leaving just the base plate, electronics, and a small piece of the arm. To that, i welded the stock Wagon pedal and arm to. After a bit of tweaking the angles and such, got a suitable pedal. I was able to simply Drill holes in the bracket to match the existing holes in the firewall for the wagon. It was nice and simple really.

Clutch pedal was next. once bolted to the car i lost a considerable amount of travel in the pedal due to firewall clearance. Had to trim up the pedal a bit. Everything above the line had to go....leaving very little left

So the cut off parts were ground out and put back on the inside of the pedal

Once painted, like it never happened.

Now, 80% done. 3 where 2 used to be. Still have to finish welding some parts, paint it all and most importantly figure out where and how to mount the master cylinder. Hopefully more floorpan work this week. after that, the hardest parts should be done. pretty well plugging in parts to finish it up from that point. Still a ways off from having a running, driving car though
Old 03-28-2019, 07:59 AM
On The Tree

Pulled pedals back out last night to finish them up. Here is a finished pic of the Throttle pedal. simple, yet effective.

Next up was headers, not needed yet, just wanted them out of the way for now so might was well put them on. Drivers side has been on a while now. One small ding in the #3 tube to clear the cradle and it bolted right up. no issues here.

Passenger side however...that was a whole new story. They were cheap ebay F-body headers so i didn't expect much, but had heard they fit. I thin my set the flange was welded out of square on as once the header was in place, it sat at about a 5-10 degree angle from mounting flush with the head. Had to ding a couple tubes to clear both the starter cove on the bell housing as well as the LCA mount. The out of squareness is what really got me though. As you can see by the discoloration, i had to heat and bend each tube to get the flange squared up. You don't want to know how i did it, just now that it worked well and now the header bolts right up with no interference anywhere. Tip---$100 headers are a headache. I bought them because a buddy had an extra set, i had planned on F-body headers from the get go, but i was going to do a bit higher quality ones.
Old 04-01-2019, 06:10 PM
On The Tree

couldn't get my floor pans bead rolled, so can't start to weld them in yet. So, just did some other things this weekend. Pulled engine and trans since i have finalized their placement, so i can fully weld in the mounts. Can also install my clutch and flywheel, and just get everything ready for final install while it is out.

Pulled the car out of the garage to clean up the engine bay, and wash the engine as well.

Old 04-04-2019, 12:16 PM
Staging Lane

like the solid mounts setup man! i thought about doing that when i did mine but i found that the holley g body swap plates work perfect for these b bodies too. love this project you got here

Originally Posted by underpowered
Front end on these Box Body cars is LOOOOOONG. Brought over my other engine hoist, still no luck. Lacked a few inches of being able to slide it all it.

Cue Disassembly of the front end to gain the reach required to drop it all in. Bumper and header panel had to come off just to get the engine hoist in deep enough for the oil pan to clear the Crossmember. Then had to pull the Wiper motor as the fuel rail was hitting it when angling the engine/trans combo in and under the car. Engine alone should come out with wipe motor still in though.

Engine lined up, measured up and mounts trimmed to fit. They were tacked in place after this pic was taken.

All in, where it will now reside for good. It will be back in and out of the car a few more times over the coming weeks i am sure as i have to fully weld the mounts in, as well as ensure fitment of everything else. But its home for now, on its own weight in the car.

Now this is the part that is more than i bargained for. I knew i had to patch the floorboards. Well, pulled the rotten carped out, trans tunnel is pretty thin. So looks like just gonna fab up a whole new front floor pan and trans tunnel while I am in there. I am no body man, but am a decent fabricator, so we will see how this works out.
Old 04-04-2019, 12:18 PM
Staging Lane

with the holley mounts
Old 04-04-2019, 07:49 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Fierro51
like the solid mounts setup man! i thought about doing that when i did mine but i found that the holley g body swap plates work perfect for these b bodies too. love this project you got here
I contacted Holley about them, as i did want to buy them, but was told by them they would not work which is why i built what i did. Good to know for future reference though that they do in fact work, as i assumed they would.

Meanwhile, threw a little color at it. Kinda of at a stand still otherwise till i can get my pans bead rolled and pedals in. Then the rest can continue and get done.

Also, started to lay out what i wanted to beadroll into the pans. Need more, but not sure what. I know it won't be seen, but it will just be a little detail i know is there and will help me learn how to use the bead rollers.

Old 04-05-2019, 05:54 AM
On The Tree

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

Nice! My brother asks me why I do things nobody will see. I tell him - "Because I can".
Old 04-05-2019, 06:20 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

This is awesome
Old 04-05-2019, 12:02 PM
Staging Lane

yeah played the whole idk game from holley on the b body stuff so i just hoped for the best. Also before you ping the header for the steering maybe order up a borgeson joint and that will fix your issues

Old 04-05-2019, 01:42 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Rick Dorion
Nice! My brother asks me why I do things nobody will see. I tell him - "Because I can".
exactly.

Originally Posted by Fierro51
yeah played the whole idk game from holley on the b body stuff so i just hoped for the best. Also before you ping the header for the steering maybe order up a borgeson joint and that will fix your issues
Headers actually clear the steering well. In the pics it looks like they interfere, but that is due to the column being out. when it is all hooked up, they clear really well actually. The crossmember and LCA mount were a whole different story though, but they went on eventually.
Old 04-05-2019, 03:01 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by underpowered
exactly.

Headers actually clear the steering well. In the pics it looks like they interfere, but that is due to the column being out. when it is all hooked up, they clear really well actually. The crossmember and LCA mount were a whole different story though, but they went on eventually.
glad to hear that. i wasnt so lucky :-(
Old 04-07-2019, 05:56 PM
On The Tree

Bead rolled my Floor pans yesterday. No instruction, just shown the roller and left to my own devices pretty much. learning curve shows a bit. here is the first pan, passenger side. No test piece, just went for it. they are only pans, they will be hidden under carpet and the underside of the car so it really doesn't matter what they actually look like.

Drivers side is a touch better, smoother curves and such. not professional by any means but better for sure.

Then the fun started. welding all the sheet metal. Started with the tunnel, as it had to be formed a bit to match the curves of the car. wasn't too bad though and went pretty smoothly.

Then the Pans go in. Just the base for now. Once the tunnel was fitted in, had to trim the pans a bit as the tunnel spread some, which i expected.

Then some smaller filler panels were made to cove the rest of what i cut out. They were welded in. The pans were not fully welded, just stitched in and then covered with seam sealer. overall, the whole job was not as bad as i expected.

after seam sealer, a bit of brown primer was laid down and i called it done!

Tunnel vision, plenty of room for everything now. Even if i decide to go back to auto later, room for pretty much anything i ever want to put in it.

Wednesday hopefully get my pedals back in and figure out how to locate the clutch MC. not sure how i am going to do that yet, but i'm sure i'll figure out a way.

should be all downhill from here though i hope. most of the fab is all done now, so should just be upgrading/installing parts from here on out.

Current goal is to take the car on to the Indy leg of the Hot rod power tour June 12th. So hoping for first fire in the car early may, have it tuned and give me a bit of time to install rear gear, seats, and a little run time before the trip.
Old 04-09-2019, 01:11 PM
Teching In

Nice build! I love wagons. Nice job on your floor pans. Some one will see them and know you put some extra working into this one.