Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

03 mustang GT lm7/T56 swap

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2018, 05:05 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My intentions with it now are different from before. Long story short I had a buddy helping me out and since this is my first swap it’s all new to me and so buddy isn’t helping me out anymore and left me with a mess which I’m clueless on lol. The gm Harness is already done , depinned. I was going to use the ford cluster and get that to work but wayyyy to much work so I’m probably going to Order an aftermarket gauge cluster to make things a little easier. We went off an 02 non afm pin out and my pcm is from an 05 tahoe I believe it what I pulled it out of. My buddy was gonna wire the gm Harness into a ford relay box and run ac , fuel pump and fans off that but it’s just a lot of work. I’m probably over complicating it mostly cuz I’m confused on the whole wiring thing and it’s overwhelming to look at a bunch of wires and where to go from the gm standalone harness.
Old 10-11-2018, 05:24 PM
Teching In

Actually. F*** it I’m not gonna bother with ac 😂
Old 10-13-2018, 05:40 AM
TECH Regular

Received 41 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Rachaelhasav8
My intentions with it now are different from before. Long story short I had a buddy helping me out and since this is my first swap it’s all new to me and so buddy isn’t helping me out anymore and left me with a mess which I’m clueless on lol. The gm Harness is already done , depinned. I was going to use the ford cluster and get that to work but wayyyy to much work so I’m probably going to Order an aftermarket gauge cluster to make things a little easier. We went off an 02 non afm pin out and my pcm is from an 05 tahoe I believe it what I pulled it out of. My buddy was gonna wire the gm Harness into a ford relay box and run ac , fuel pump and fans off that but it’s just a lot of work. I’m probably over complicating it mostly cuz I’m confused on the whole wiring thing and it’s overwhelming to look at a bunch of wires and where to go from the gm standalone harness.
To start, I'm not sure going off of an 02 to do an 05 harness is going to be exact. I thought the harnesses changed in 03 to the green and blue connectors and prior to that they were red and blue. There were definitely some differences like the way the o2's were wired and some drive by wire stuff that I can think of off the top of my head. I'm assuming by "depinned" you're just saying that you got rid of what was needed. I would get a pin-out of both and run through them to double check everything is good to go. Easier to do that now than chasing a gremlin once it's in the car. If you want to get it to just run I wouldn't worry about using the ford fuse box. I personally have 4 relays running the car. 2 for the fans (high and low), 1 for the fuel pump, 1 for a key-on accessory for the things the car needs hot on key on and start. That's it. Then I fed the ford fuse block power so I could have the regular functions on the car like power windows etc etc. There are a lot of diagrams on the internet. Let google be your friend. lt1swap has really good write ups and great harness diagrams. AND this just got a whole lot easier without the a/c! Let us know if you get stuck on something specific. Good luck.
Old 10-13-2018, 07:50 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by SwapStang
To start, I'm not sure going off of an 02 to do an 05 harness is going to be exact. I thought the harnesses changed in 03 to the green and blue connectors and prior to that they were red and blue. There were definitely some differences like the way the o2's were wired and some drive by wire stuff that I can think of off the top of my head. I'm assuming by "depinned" you're just saying that you got rid of what was needed. I would get a pin-out of both and run through them to double check everything is good to go. Easier to do that now than chasing a gremlin once it's in the car. If you want to get it to just run I wouldn't worry about using the ford fuse box. I personally have 4 relays running the car. 2 for the fans (high and low), 1 for the fuel pump, 1 for a key-on accessory for the things the car needs hot on key on and start. That's it. Then I fed the ford fuse block power so I could have the regular functions on the car like power windows etc etc. There are a lot of diagrams on the internet. Let google be your friend. lt1swap has really good write ups and great harness diagrams. AND this just got a whole lot easier without the a/c! Let us know if you get stuck on something specific. Good luck.
yep wrong pcm haha. Gonna get the correct one with red/ blue connectors , and picking up a new relay box I’ll be putting together myself. But yes the gm Harness is “depinned” meaning as you said, all unused wires are pulled and whatever I’m using is labeled and all. So I also did go over the pinouts for the 99-02 harness and made sure everything was correct (lt1swap was a giant help! I’m using this site for a lot of my wiring needs) after I put together the relay box Based off lt1swap.com’s link too for the ob2/relay box , I’ll be running it through the firewall and setting things in place before I drop the motor in. Really appreciate your help! I won’t hesitate to ask anything that comes to mind. Things are starting to make sense to me now haha
Old 10-15-2018, 06:08 AM
Launching!

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

yep wrong pcm haha. Gonna get the correct one with red/ blue connectors , and picking up a new relay box I’ll be putting together myself. But yes the gm Harness is “depinned” meaning as you said, all unused wires are pulled and whatever I’m using is labeled and all. So I also did go over the pinouts for the 99-02 harness and made sure everything was correct (lt1swap was a giant help! I’m using this site for a lot of my wiring needs) after I put together the relay box Based off lt1swap.com’s link too for the ob2/relay box , I’ll be running it through the firewall and setting things in place before I drop the motor in. Really appreciate your help! I won’t hesitate to ask anything that comes to mind. Things are starting to make sense to me now haha
I just realized i never messaged you back. Let me know if you need help with the relay box.
Old 11-08-2018, 02:04 PM
Teching In

Alright sorry guys I've been ghost. Been working and putting money together. I got the correct pcm so that's one less thing to worry about for now and I'm currently on my way to pick up my k member from UPR!
Old 04-09-2019, 02:42 PM
TECH Regular

Block is soon to be sent out for a touch hone and nice cleaning so she's brand new, ordering my rods and pistons in a couple of weeks from TSP. Thinking about the transmission ordeal now. I'm going to stick with my tr3650 5-speed that came out of my mustang since the motor is gonna be NA with a cam for now. Any advice on what's needed? New bell housing AND adapter plate or just bell housing, vise versa. I have accessibility for any fabrication needed as well, also should I go with the hydraulic conversion or stick with the cable clutch? Once the motor goes on boost a year or so from now I'll be going powerglide. Thanks!!
i was in a similar situation when I first did my swap. To the best of my knowledge there isn’t any good way (or any way really) to keep a 3650 with an ls swap. If they’ve done much since I looked a few years ago it isn’t going to be worth it cost wise especially if your gonna end up going glide in a bit. Just get a 4l80e (or 4l60e if you aren’t going to make much power) and get it over with now rather than wasting the effort and money and ripping your hair out in frustration. I’m sure someone else will chime in but that’s what I would go with. Cheap easy and it just works and you can sell it later on and get your money back.
Old 04-09-2019, 07:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Halon Motorsports and others have an adapter plate. I'm working on an adapter plate for t45 and will be working on my own version for the 3650 sometime.
Old 04-09-2019, 08:03 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Stampede4ever
Halon Motorsports and others have an adapter plate. I'm working on an adapter plate for t45 and will be working on my own version for the 3650 sometime.
Since the 3650 had an integrated bellhousing I’m imagining like the cd009 it would have to be cut off and then an adapter added. The clutch is a pull style while gm is a push style so it would have to be completely altered. 10 spline input, And let’s add that a stock 4.6 mustang will destroy a 3650 or a t45, so this is a less than ideal trans for the money, even if you already have one. By the time you add up everything to adapt it your easily at the cost of a used t56. Then you’ve got to adapt the oss to the stock vss of the gm pcm. What lengths are you going to just to retain the Ford trans? If auto is the end result then just grab a $400 4l80e and be done with it. I was in this exact situation and after not wanting to spend the 1500-2k for a t56 I got a 4l80e and I couldn’t be happier for drivability. Car drives like stock, shifts great and it’s just a blast. I say sell the 3650 for whatever you can and the new gm trans will all but be free. Or find a MUCH cheaper alternative but I don’t think the ford trans is the answer.
Old 04-12-2019, 10:23 AM
Teching In

Ahh thanks for the input guys! I know that it really would be easier to either cough up the cash for a used t56 to make everything easier or just go with a 4l60/80e. It's going to be auto once it goes on boost, I'm just being stubborn because I miss having a stick shift v8, nothing beats the feeling of slamming gears lol. Like I said it's gonna be NA for about a year or so til I'm ready to go turbo. I've got some thinking to do
Old 04-22-2019, 06:28 AM
Launching!

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Im still running a t56 with boost for what its worth.But my t56 is also built by tick lol.
Old 04-22-2019, 10:06 AM
Teching In

Honestly just waiting to see what transmission pops up first for the best deal lol. Fingers crossed for a t56! Idk who thought to let a girl build a car when she can't even make up her mind on what she wants for dinner lmao. Anyway, the motor is almost done! Pics will be posted in the next couple of weeks hopefully
Old 04-22-2019, 10:42 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,221 Likes on 2,513 Posts

Idk who thought to let a girl build a car when she can't even make up her mind on what she wants for dinner lmao. Anyway, the motor is almost done!
Hey who had to LET you??? Seems you're doing just fine. Here's hoping a T56 falls into your lap!

Last edited by G Atsma; 04-22-2019 at 08:55 PM.
Old 04-22-2019, 10:51 AM
Teching In

Haha appreciate it! Fingers crossed. Can't wait to get this thing running, it's been almost a year
Old 04-22-2019, 04:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

A lot of us are in the same boat, money is slow to come in, not much time, the parts we want are high, we keep up grading over the budget plan. I just bought a Dorman LS2 intake, didn't want to use the ls1 intake. And lm over a year on my project

Stampede
Old 04-24-2019, 08:17 AM
TECH Regular

Being that my motor already had stock rods and pistons in them, I'm going to have the bore measured after the touch hone but trying to decide how over I should go. I found these rods and pistons but as for stroke / piston length, I'm unsure if this combo will reach deck clearance. Maybe a little over, no? I posted the links, let me know what you guys think! Also yes I know they're very expensive and I could go a cheaper route, these are just sitting on the back burner and using them as for reference until I get everything measured to help me figure out what stroke and bore to go with then decide how expensive I want to go on rods and pistons lol.
https://www.texas-speed.com/p-4344-t...ting-rods.aspx
https://www.cnc-motorsports.com/1159...-800-bore.html
Me personally, I would just throw whatever crap 5.3 you can in it and get it running. I'd build yourself a sick motor once you get everything together for the turbo setup. I'd go sloppy style for this and drive it for a while then figure out the route you want to take. A 5.3 is dirt cheap and there are plenty of them around to go this route. Slap in a cam and that's a fun little car right there. You just sent links to $1500 worth of extra things to buy. That's good t56 money right there! Slam it together and make a new plan I say. A lot of this can be done on the cheap (and fun) and doesn't require a 10k budget just to enjoy it and have fun. Based on your indecisiveness wouldn't you rather drive it and then figure it out rather than spend another $2500 on parts and then decide you don't want to complete the project? Happens way to often with these builds I'd hate to see you go down that road and lose a boat load of money. Just my .02
Old 04-24-2019, 11:48 AM
Teching In

See I was gonna do that but I'd rather take my time with it and build it right so when I wanna go turbo I can just throw the kit on worry free, or at least with more confidence lol instead of having to pull the motor , put in the new rods and pistons, rebalance it, just more down time on the car when I can spend the extra money to future proof it. It's hard to stay patient but the car has been down this long so why not take the time to build it right and for boost. I want to enjoy the car and not be scared that my junk 5.3 pistons may not get the job done, next thing I need is a valve hitting a piston or something haha. I already have another project going on too with my Lexus LS400 along with my buddy that's putting a 6.0 into his 1986 Mercedes 560SEL
Old 04-24-2019, 01:21 PM
TECH Regular

See I was gonna do that but I'd rather take my time with it and build it right so when I wanna go turbo I can just throw the kit on worry free, or at least with more confidence lol instead of having to pull the motor , put in the new rods and pistons, rebalance it, just more down time on the car when I can spend the extra money to future proof it. It's hard to stay patient but the car has been down this long so why not take the time to build it right and for boost. I want to enjoy the car and not be scared that my junk 5.3 pistons may not get the job done, next thing I need is a valve hitting a piston or something haha. I already have another project going on too with my Lexus LS400 along with my buddy that's putting a 6.0 into his 1986 Mercedes 560SEL
I was saying more along the lines of an entirely extra 5.3 or whatever motor really, since yours is already torn down. A lot of people have great luck with just throwing in a junkyard motor and without any boost on it I doubt you'll have the power to break anything. Hell even with boost a gen 4 will take some serious power. Then you can get a feel for what it drives like, what you'd change, do differently etc etc, it's already wired, simply a matter of a motor swap (if you desire) and slapping a turbo on. Sloppy mechanics has thrashed numerous junkyard motors without ever even opening them up. Maybe I'm just impatient and cheap when it comes to this stuff not sure. I hurt my 6.0 on the dyno and I laughed because I had another 300 dollar motor sitting at home. If I had 2 or 3k into it I think I would've cried! I just got so antsy watching videos and hearing stories of turbo thrashing LS motors I just had to get mine done! haha. Again just my mindset, if your super patient then I applaud you because I certainly am not when it comes to this stuff! Good luck whatever route you do take were always here to help and be supportive!
Old 04-24-2019, 01:33 PM
Teching In

Oh yeah definitely I totally agree with you but my luck I'd throw in a stock 5.3 and blow it on start up haha but I am definitely gonna get another motor to have on the side Incase anything. I really appreciate your and everyone's advice cuz it's good to hear other paths to take with doing the swap patient or not haha
Old 05-11-2020, 01:31 PM
Teching In

Default Update 2020

Trying to get power to the fuel pump. Only seems to prime the fuel pump through the ccrm, can’t get the fuel pump to work via GM side. Everything else is put together. Gotta figure out how to make the steering shaft fit and hook up the slave master cylinder

Quick Reply: 03 mustang GT lm7/T56 swap