Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fuel Systems....whats proven and what didn't work

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2018 | 04:15 PM
On The Tree

Default Fuel Systems....whats proven and what didn't work

I am about to purchase a tank and pump and wanted to know, what out there actually has worked as advertised, and what have people had issues with.

I was looking a Tanks Inc setup with either a 255, or a Aeromotive 340 pump. Has anyone used either of these with issues, cons or pros?

I know I would need a regulator and reuturn with the 340 pump. But I have heard of hiccups with the 340 pump. The 255 I would be close to the max of it with the build on the motor. So thats why I was on the fence. Any advice on what people have used, with success would be greatly appreciated

Old 08-30-2018 | 05:55 PM
TECH Senior Member
10 Year Member

cant beat a walbro 450 ( or three ) with a real regulator at the fuel rail and a real return.

dont **** with the corvette regulator filter bullshit. just don't.
Old 08-30-2018 | 05:59 PM
Launching!

Running Aeromotive 340 with a Corvette regulator on FAST 36s. Pushing 380 to the wheel with plenty of room for more.

Old 08-30-2018 | 06:05 PM
On The Tree

This is what I mean..... I appreciate the info, but as you can see its conflicting. Also I have heard the 340 pump can be to much for the corvette regulator
Old 08-30-2018 | 06:25 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 461rat
This is what I mean..... I appreciate the info, but as you can see its conflicting. Also I have heard the 340 pump can be to much for the corvette regulator
I can tell you I've put around 5k miles on my RX7 swap with no problems. Lots of full throttle pulls.

If youre worried about it get an aeromotive reg. theyre only like 100 bucks.
Old 08-30-2018 | 07:00 PM
TECH Senior Member
20 Year Member

How much HP do you plan to make? A 255l/hr pump will support 600hp at the crank, NA.

Andrew
Old 08-30-2018 | 08:29 PM
Launching!

I've heard of issues with Tanks inc. I believe it was stalling hesitation when below half a tank.

The factory 4th gen LS bucket has worked for me for 6 seasons (10,000 miles). I've run it down to 1/8" with no issues. The 4th gen bucket is tall and difficult/impossible to put in some tanks. You could cut a hole in your trunk OR shorten the pump/bucket. With the 4th gen bucket, you don't need a regulator...has one built in. I used the vetteworks mount.
The 5th gen Camaro bucket is another option, it is much shorter and there are builds and ways to make it work in many tanks. One member here (ryeguy2006a) has this bucket/pump modified in a 1st gen Camaro. Read up on this, I don't think you need a regulator but you need to mod the electronics (real easy).

Last edited by reedld; 08-30-2018 at 08:38 PM.
Old 08-31-2018 | 06:41 AM
TECH Fanatic
15 Year Member

Do it once and do it correctly...…… Ricks Tank with a GM pump...…. Vaporworx system to control Fuel Pressure...…No return line required...…. End of story...….

Ken
Old 08-31-2018 | 08:59 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by kwhizz
Do it once and do it correctly...…… Ricks Tank with a GM pump...…. Vaporworx system to control Fuel Pressure...…No return line required...…. End of story...….

Ken
This....^^^^

One and done. You can get the fuel module across the counter at most any parts store....Yeah, it's more, but I have never had any of the issues I see people having with the tanks inc. stuff....

T,
Old 08-31-2018 | 12:24 PM
On The Tree

I ordered a Ricks tank with the ZL1 pump. After calling them and discussing the details, it just made sense, internally regulated (no return line or external regulator) so price wise it was on par with buying a lesser tank and stick style fuel pump.

I was told I wouldn't need the vaporworx system unless I went to a LSA blower.
Old 08-31-2018 | 12:49 PM
12 Second Club
15 Year Member

good choice. the corvette FPR killed my Aeromotive 340, and the under-half-full issues were unacceptable, so I modified my OEM tank for the 5th gen pump. I would (and will) opt for the Rick's tank if I had known about it when I did mine.

Vaporworx also sells the necessary 4th gen regulator and adapter; that may have been what kwhizz was referring to.
Old 08-31-2018 | 01:44 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by hookemdevils22
good choice. the corvette FPR killed my Aeromotive 340, and the under-half-full issues were unacceptable, so I modified my OEM tank for the 5th gen pump. I would (and will) opt for the Rick's tank if I had known about it when I did mine.

Vaporworx also sells the necessary 4th gen regulator and adapter; that may have been what kwhizz was referring to.
It was probably your "under half full" condition that killed your 340, not the reg. This happens because the 98-02 plastic tanks have no baffles. (neither does your OEM 71 Nova tank :-))

BTW its usually the OEM fuel system (including wiring) that kills high volume pumps. (i.e. inlet/return line too small)

Last edited by Fuhnortoner; 08-31-2018 at 01:59 PM.
Old 08-31-2018 | 03:01 PM
On The Tree

I called Aeromotive specifically and asked them about running the corvette fuel pressure regulator with the 340 pump, and they said they do not recommend it. The regulator would actually choke the pump and cause pre-mature failure of the pump they said.
Old 08-31-2018 | 03:09 PM
TECH Resident

I ordered a Ricks tank with the ZL1 pump. After calling them and discussing the details, it just made sense, internally regulated (no return line or external regulator) so price wise it was on par with buying a lesser tank and stick style fuel pump.

I was told I wouldn't need the vaporworx system unless I went to a LSA blower.
Technically you wouldn't. However, if you ever decided to do a supercharger you wouldn't have to change the regulator in the fuel Module. Hector changes the FPR in the ZL1 module to the f-body FPR to maintain 58 PSI. The vaproworxs controller would do that without changing the FPR.

You made the right choice.

Ken's cars all run superchargers, so he needs the Controller. Hector uses the ZL1 module, but changes the FPR to f-body. Not necessary using Carl's controller, but he does sell the FPR and adapter....

T.
Old 08-31-2018 | 03:09 PM
On The Tree

Same question for me, starting with a 99 stang and wanna 1000hp fuel system rock solid no issues to build upon over time. Subbing
Old 08-31-2018 | 03:14 PM
Launching!

I called Aeromotive specifically and asked them about running the corvette fuel pressure regulator with the 340 pump, and they said they do not recommend it. The regulator would actually choke the pump and cause pre-mature failure of the pump they said.
Of course Aermotive said that, and I'll bet my left nut they also recommended one of their FPRs. Lots of people run dual 255s with zero problems. Like I said, Ive ran 5000 sporty miles, and I'll get back to you when my 340 goes out.

Originally Posted by RIDETOEAT
Same question for me, starting with a 99 stang and wanna 1000hp fuel system rock solid no issues to build upon over time. Subbing
Do some searching bro, most likely youre gonna need sequential dual pumps.
Old 08-31-2018 | 06:33 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by RIDETOEAT
Call Carl Casanova (yes, his real name) at Vaporworxs before you buy anything. The man knows his **** about fuel delivery and can design a system for you. Pretty sure he already has one....He won't sell you what you don't need, and won't blow smoke up your *** just to make a sale.....he answers his own phone too....

T,
Old 09-04-2018 | 10:11 AM
On The Tree

The choice between an internally regulated setup (changing the regulator) and a pulse width modulation controller (electronic pressure regulator) is typically not due to running a boosted engine but instead trying to reduce the average power going to the pump. We've had many customers change to PWM after running the changed regulator.

There are a plethora of advantages that PWM offers, but let's look at the primary factor. Reliability.

In order to feed modern high-horsepower engines a pump(s) large enough to meet the fuel demand plus some safety factor must be used. Using the ZL1 pump as an example, it is 650hp supercharged capable. However, to run it at 60psi mechanically regulated will require 16A to drive. At idle and cruise most all of that is put right back into the fuel load as heat. At lower fuel levels combined with traffic, reflected heat from the road, etc. it won't take long to excessively heat the fuel load if the pump is run at full speed. It's now become a reliability issue.

The fuel is the life blood of the pump. It provides cooling and lubrication to the pump. As the fuel gets hotter, its lubricating properties diminish, creating more heat. To keep the pump reliable the average power to it needs to be reduced. That's where PWM comes into play.

A pretty good rule of thumb with fuel modules is that the reduction in power during idle and cruise/60psi constant using PWM vs. a return regulator is 50%. If manifold referenced is used it's 2/3.

Another analogy is if the engine makes 650hp, why have a throttle on the engine?
Old 09-04-2018 | 10:49 AM
12 Second Club
15 Year Member

It was probably your "under half full" condition that killed your 340, not the reg. This happens because the 98-02 plastic tanks have no baffles. (neither does your OEM 71 Nova tank :-))
The tank had a tray from Tanks Inc. When I called Aeromotive, their first question was whether I had a Corvette FPR. Regardless, the pump on a stick design is no good.
Old 09-04-2018 | 11:23 AM
Launching!

The tank had a tray from Tanks Inc. When I called Aeromotive, their first question was whether I had a Corvette FPR. Regardless, the pump on a stick design is no good.
Thats your opinion. The "pump on a stick" design has been used for years with zero problems, on 1000+ HP setups. So has the 340/vette reg combo.