Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fuel Tank Vent suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2018 | 10:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Default Fuel Tank Vent suggestions

Hello all,

I've been looking for a vent for the gas tank. This is just something to vent the gas tank and help with the smell. I've seen so many different options I'm a bit overwhelmed and don't really know the right answer. I'm not going to be running the original charcoal canister and plan to just run a fuel line up and on top of the rear axle. I'm not sure what to put on the end. I've used search terms like fuel tank vent, fuel tank filter, etc. I see integrated roll-over valves (with a wide arrange of reviews on their effectiveness), expensive large contraptions and small little paper filter looking things. I just don't know. Any suggestions. The one I've linked below looks interesting.

https://www.speedwaymotors.com/Wehrs...yABEgIfnvD_BwE

Or this...

Or something else, I don't know??
Old 11-01-2018 | 11:13 PM
TECH Senior Member
5 Year Member

Why not cap the vent and put a vented filler cap on it?
Old 11-01-2018 | 11:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast
10 Year Member

In the past I've used fuel line hose and looped it up then down lower than the tank. Usual size is 3/8 hose and I put a restrictor in the end of the hose to reduce from 3/8 to about 1/8.
Old 11-01-2018 | 11:53 PM
On The Tree

If you filler is up on the side there is usually hose barbs on it up high to attach, seems a good spot. You can throw a restrictor in the line or a rollover check valve or nothing as well.
Old 11-02-2018 | 12:01 AM
Teching In

+1^^^ Done this on alot of cars. But it may help if you tell what kind of fuel setup your using? (fi, carb, tank?)
Old 11-02-2018 | 07:01 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I'm using a stock injected 5.3 from a 2004 silverado with a corvette regulator/filter returnless system. The car is a 1978 Caprice and I'm using a stock 94 Caprice gas tank that was fuel injection from factory. The filler neck comes out behind the license plate. The sending unit/pump assembly has a 3rd connector/vent tube coming out with a barb on the end for a vent hose.
Old 11-02-2018 | 08:46 AM
TECH Junkie

I connected fuel tank vent to my car's factory charcoal canister -- and the canister connects to the engine's air inlet pipe upstream of the maf.
Old 11-02-2018 | 10:53 AM
Teching In

If the old hot rod gas smell bothers you that much, maybe you should try the charcoal canister. Otherwise there definitely WILL be a gas smell. Ive tried looping the vent hose up and down and then putting a filter on end and it helps absolutely none with the smell. Smell never bothered me tho. If they made gas scented air freshener trees, id likely buy it. If u can smell the gas from the tank....go faster!
Old 11-02-2018 | 11:05 AM
On The Tree

there is all sorts of small low amp draw solenoid valves that can be triggered to open and shut with the fuel pump and could be put in line. Years ago I done this on a holley carb that was stinking up a small garage when I came home and shut it all up right away. I think there is some reduced evaporation benefits as well.
Old 11-06-2018 | 06:41 AM
TECH Fanatic
15 Year Member

https://www.iimuch.com/collections/f...erential-vents
Old 11-06-2018 | 06:56 AM
TECH Resident

I assume you are talking about fumes from the car parked overnight or for a long time in the garage. I have the typical rollover valve in the fuel cell with the hose looped and through the floor in the trunk. The fitting off the rollover valve is a 90* NPT with an inline shutoff valve that I close when the car is parked and of course, remember to open before firing up the engine again. Cheap, simple, effective, but you have to get in the habit of closing/opening the valve manually.
Old 11-06-2018 | 07:30 AM
On The Tree

When I first finished my last build, I had the gas odor in the garage and it was simply that the vent hose had a slight low spot and gas would sit there. I moved the hose a little so it was downhill all the way from the end up by the cap to the fitting in the tank.

No more smell.....

Old 11-06-2018 | 02:57 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Vetteman61
I'm using a stock injected 5.3 from a 2004 silverado with a corvette regulator/filter returnless system. The car is a 1978 Caprice and I'm using a stock 94 Caprice gas tank that was fuel injection from factory. The filler neck comes out behind the license plate. The sending unit/pump assembly has a 3rd connector/vent tube coming out with a barb on the end for a vent hose.
I ran that 3rd connector you are referring to ...to a harley davidson charcoal filter. The filter is mounted up by the gas tank hanger. No gas smell since I switched over to rigid lines.

I can drive my car in the garage, shut door, then turn off ignition.. still no smell.
Old 11-06-2018 | 06:33 PM
On The Tree

Warning it may take you FOREVER to get one. I ordered one back in December of 2017, took until about mid January to receive the part, it was then recalled by the NHTSA in February this year. As of today, 11/06/18, I am STILL waiting to get a replacement part.

Seem like great parts, if they work as advertised. But the timeline here is more than a bit frustrating.