Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dakota Digital Dash plus Torque App

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2018 | 12:28 PM
Teching In

Default Dakota Digital Dash plus Torque App

Is anyone using a Dakota Digital dash with their OBDII interface, BIM-01-2 along with also running an ELM327 dongle for the torque app?

I've finished installing an '00 LS1 into my '92 Camaro. I have a VHX Dakota Digital dash that uses their OBDII interface. I wired in 2 OBDII ports. Each has power and 2 grounds. DK GRN wire goes from PCM to splice pack. PPL wire from the splice pack goes to one port like stock. GRY wire that originally went to Instrument Cluster now goes from splce pack goes to the other port. EBCM and SDM wires removed from splice pack.

Torque App somewhat works. It reads codes and rpm (very very slow refresh rate tho) and coolant, but not many of the other readouts. If I unplug the BIM-01-2, it reads everything, tho the rpm is still slow to repond.

I've tried each of the 4 IDs on the BIM-01-2 (61, 62, F1, F2) with no change.

I know the DD directions mentioning having to unplug the gauges to hook a scanner up, but surely there's a way. I bet the put that in there to avoid having to buy a splitter.
Old 11-10-2018 | 01:19 PM
TECH Fanatic
5 Year Member

I think having to feed your OBD II source to two different places is either pulling the signal down by half to each place or drastically changing the impedance. Or both. I would call Dakota Digital tech support to see if adding a resistor would assist in pulling up the signal levels.

Rick
Old 11-11-2018 | 05:27 PM
On The Tree

I have the hdx’s with the bim 01-2. I bought an obd2 splitter from speartech, and it was a waste of money. You can’t split the signal. It wouldn’t allow us to tune it unless the gauges were unplugged from the obd2.
Old 11-11-2018 | 06:16 PM
Teching In

I assume you tried the 4 different ID's too?

I'll get verification from Dakota Digital tomorrow, but that seems to be the common consensus.

After talking to DD yesterday, their Tech Dept told me that you have to change the channel on the DD obd bim module (in the big instructions). Apparently the PCM doesn't like 2 devices using the same channel to try and "read" it.
http://lateral-g.net/forums/showpost...78&postcount=4

My guess is that may be true for a Tech-2 but not the cheapy dongles since it didn't work for me.

I did find someone who put a switch on the power supply to the interface. This may be the easiest solution. I'm going to try put an on/off switch to the power of the the OBDII port that the BIM-01-2 plugs into.
On those DD gauges, in fact only one port can be used at one time... What i did was hard wire the ald wiring into my gm port then i put a switch on the power wire so that i could disable the BIM and scan the car for codes and tuning without having to take everything apart all the time.
https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...96#post1125796

Thanks
Old 11-11-2018 | 06:52 PM
TECH Addict

I think the problem arises when you are using OBD2 protocol and not CAN. With CAN bus you can have multiple items on the bus as long as the ID's don't conflict. As far as I'm aware OBD2 cannot have multiple devices on the network.
Old 11-13-2018 | 11:04 AM
TECH Addict

What PCM are you using?

I am using an E38 Gen IV ECM with the ELM327 dongle and Speedhut CAN bus gauges wired in parallel. I have no issue reading all sensors via the Torque APP while the gauges are functional and appear unaffected. I think gofastwclass may be onto something with CAN bus protocol being okay for this task, but maybe OBDII protocol not.
Old 11-13-2018 | 02:06 PM
Teching In

I'm using a Gen III 0411 from a 2000 SS, HDW #16220610, Serv #09385781

What you guys are saying makes sense. I wasn't quite clear in my head on understanding that CAN was basically another (later) protocol, different than the SAE J1850 VPW, but you guys opened my eyes.

When using the pre-CAN bus GM J1850 or Ford J1850 protocols the unit must have a unique ID to identify itself on the bus. By default, this is set to use an instrument system bus ID and should not normally need to be changed. If there is some other module already using this ID, then another can be selected. Some vehicles may require F1 or F2 ID’s to be selected for proper operation. 61 and 62 are gauge ID’s and F1 and F2 are scan tool ID’s.

These directions for the BIM-01-2 threw me off. It makes sense after I realized that the ELM327 dongle is a like scanner, not a module.
EBCM and SDM are modules. If I still had those, then changing the ID might be required.