Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4" air intake tube mount

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2018 | 09:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Default 4" air intake tube mount

I can't seem to come up with a good idea to mount the intake tube. I was considering the Spectre mount below but I'm not sure it would work for my setup. If I could find a 4" piece of steel tubing I could weld up my own bracket, but I'm not sure where I'd find a piece of steel that would fit exactly right.

People here seem to have ideas I wouldn't have thought of so I thought I'd throw it out and see if anyone has ideas.

Old 12-03-2018 | 09:34 PM
TECH Senior Member
5 Year Member

I think you're overthinking this. Put a clamp around the tube where it needs to be. Bend a strap of metal close to the end and slip that lip under the clamp. Attach the other end to any stud/nut/bolt after you've drilled the end for it. This is of course over simplified, but you get the drift. Common sense should prevail here. You keep looking for the EXACT/RIGHT/CORRECT part for the job, when there are many different approaches to it. Just eyeball it and let things fall into place.
Old 12-04-2018 | 02:21 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by G Atsma
I think you're overthinking this. Put a clamp around the tube where it needs to be. Bend a strap of metal close to the end and slip that lip under the clamp. Attach the other end to any stud/nut/bolt after you've drilled the end for it. This is of course over simplified, but you get the drift. Common sense should prevail here. You keep looking for the EXACT/RIGHT/CORRECT part for the job, when there are many different approaches to it. Just eyeball it and let things fall into place.
That's a good plan, or just drill a hole (or two)through on one side of the tube and slide a bolt through it,throw a nylon lock nut on the outside then epoxy/silicone it in place if you are nervous about microscopic dirt particles seeping in. Voila! An external mounting stud on your intake tube for a mounting strap,do it on the bottom of the tube so it is out of view.
Old 12-04-2018 | 10:01 AM
TECH Addict

Yea i would do what g atsma said.

Ive always just took a straight piece of bar stock and bent it over on one end. Drilled a hole and screwed it down to the fender, head, etc.

The other straight end i used the airfilter clamp. Sometimes u might have to put a bend on this end as well. But like stated its pretty straight forward.

I do alot of ls swaps and sometimes it easier to get it done and move on to the next task!!
Old 12-04-2018 | 12:12 PM
TECH Junkie

Mine done precisely as G Atsma described a piece of aluminum strap - one end bent under the filter clamp; the other end (both bends 90 degrees) with a hole drilled and bolted to the sheet metal directly under the filter. You can’t even see it unless you search for it.
Old 12-04-2018 | 06:15 PM
TECH Veteran
15 Year Member

Or you could just duct tape it in there, I mean it is duct work..... Ahhahahah!!
Old 12-04-2018 | 09:17 PM
TECH Senior Member
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by ls1nova71
Or you could just duct tape it in there, I mean it is duct work..... Ahhahahah!!
G R O A N !!!!!!!! Mods, what do we do with this sort??? LOL!!
Old 12-04-2018 | 09:22 PM
TECH Junkie

In this case, I think duct tape’s partner, baling wire, is called for.
Old 12-04-2018 | 09:40 PM
TECH Senior Member
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by Michael Yount
In this case, I think duct tape’s partner, baling wire, is called for.
Back when we had a dairy, I kept certain "staple" items aboard my work truck; duct tape, baling wire, anti-seize, WD-40, and an assortment of wire terminals, plus crimping pliers, among other odds and ends...
Old 12-04-2018 | 09:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Old 12-05-2018 | 10:24 AM
TECH Addict

I'm embarrassed to admit I've been running mine with no support whatsoever the last two years. The whole tube and filter assembly just hangs right off the throttlebody, floating cantilevered out away from the engine. I didn't think it would hold up like that but it's been fine. I am using a thick EPDM rubber connector at the throttlebody with a pair of t-bolt style clamps. A lesser connection might not work as well.

I plan to build a cold air box and use it to support the tubing, but I've been having too much fun driving the car to give that project any attention. It's one of many things that aren't quite right about my car.

I agree with others you can just bend a piece of strap and screw or rivet it to the tubing or use a hose clamp around the tube.
Old 12-05-2018 | 10:44 AM
TECH Junkie

Bandit - ls1tech shame and embarrassment are hearby heaped upon you. It sure looks nice.
Old 12-05-2018 | 10:53 AM
TECH Senior Member
5 Year Member

Bandit - ls1tech shame and embarrassment are hearby heaped upon you. It sure looks nice.
I'm sure he's feeling the burn..... It looks very nice!
Old 12-05-2018 | 02:52 PM
TECH Addict

Bandit - ls1tech shame and embarrassment are hearby heaped upon you.
The weight of scorn and rejection weigh heavily on my frail, shrinking ego. My lip quivers as a tear races down my cheek and lands with a plink on the textured powercoat of my forsaken intake tube. Once proud pillars of accomplishment now crumble upon one another as I realize the shortcomings of my greatest works - an unmounted intake tube, a stray set of uncovered wires, oxidized brackets that should have been painted years ago... I can no longer see success through the mountains of failure surrounding my work. I must go into hiding now and live out the consequences of my shameful existence.
Old 12-05-2018 | 03:10 PM
TECH Senior Member
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by -TheBandit-
The weight of scorn and rejection weigh heavily on my frail, shrinking ego. My lip quivers as a tear races down my cheek and lands with a plink on the textured powercoat of my forsaken intake tube. Once proud pillars of accomplishment now crumble upon one another as I realize the shortcomings of my greatest works - an unmounted intake tube, a stray set of uncovered wires, oxidized brackets that should have been painted years ago... I can no longer see success through the mountains of failure surrounding my work. I must go into hiding now and live out the consequences of my shameful existence.
So, Master Thespian, other than that, you're doing OK, huh? LOL

Old 12-06-2018 | 09:57 AM
TECH Addict
15 Year Member

If you want, I can take care of your car for you until you've atoned for your sins and return to civilization.

Old 12-06-2018 | 10:05 AM
TECH Junkie

Best post I’ve read in a long, long time. Redemption!