Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

72 Nova LS1 swap help

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2018, 06:14 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 72 Nova LS1 swap help

I have a 72 Nova that currently has a new 300 HP crate motor / TH350 with shift kit and 4:11 posi in it. Not sure of the stall. She doesnt get a lot of drive time but some on sunny days.. So my cousin gifted me a LS1 from his 00 Formula WS6 and I really want to swap it into the Nova and started looking into the requirements (dayum!)
I have several questions: I want to put a larger cam in it (rough idle performance) will I be able to tap the intake for vacuum for the brake booster? Is there a water pump that will allow me to use the stock radiator? How much fuel pressure will I need? Long tube headers with o2 sensors? What intake? (I have the stock LS1 but not going to use it), I will be stepping up to a 92mm throttle body, will the stock LS1 injectors be adequate? (I'm thinking yes) And finally I'm liking the MSD Atomic LS Master kit but not sure if the one for LS2 /3 will work on my LS1? FiTech makes a kit complete with intake and TB but I'm not sure of the quality.. much cheaper...

Any Input would be helpful.. thanks!
Old 12-05-2018, 08:00 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 82 Likes on 60 Posts

A good performance cam will require stronger valve springs so be sure to buy a "cam kit" or matched springs for the cam you select. Intakes will all have a vacuum port for your brakes. If your motor has the LS6 intake I would use it. All you really have is a motor with a cam installed so the aftermarket intake and larger throttle body are a huge expense without much HP gains on a stock motor. The LS1 water pump can be used with any radiator, there is no special pump required. You will need a 58psi fuel system. Stock injectors are fine for a cam swap motor. If you already have the stock harness and pcm then you could easily make it a stand alone and use it on your swap. If you do not have the pcm and harness then your MSD option might be a good way to go. LS swap Headers with O2 bungs can be found everywhere.
Old 12-05-2018, 10:01 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,485 Likes on 929 Posts

Use parts that were engineered to work together. You'll save money and more importantly, headaches down the road.

https://www.holley.com/products/ls_p...ap_components/

Andrew
Old 12-05-2018, 11:49 AM
TECH Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Dirty dingo sliders mounts have worked great in my 2 Nova ls swaps. Allowed me to re use driveshaft and get the engine placement just right in both cases.