Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thinking about this Mustang drop in fuel cell for the spare tire well.

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2018, 03:04 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Thinking about this Mustang drop in fuel cell for the spare tire well.

Thinking about building an aluminum drop in fuel cell for 79-04 mustangs. Think there would be any interest. I got a couple of ideas about eliminating slosh issues for the inside as well. Thinking mostly about internal walbro type pumps and -10 / -8 out and return. but they would work the same for carb setup's w/o the internal pumps. Had a lot of issues personally and others I know too with various versions of stock tank setup's sucking air and it would be nice to have that room under the car back for a trans cooler at least in my setup. What do you guys think. This first one gets a pair of walbro 450's. Thinking I can take the supply and return out the bottom right were the oval cutout is in the floor from the factory to keep the fuel lines all under the car and out of the trunk. Still have to have a top fill and vent so giving that some thought as to best ideas... need to determine if this oval trunk cutout is in the same place in all the fox years or not. Mine is a 99 and it looks real familiar to me, but ???

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rmMt...ature=youtu.be

Last edited by RIDETOEAT; 12-19-2018 at 04:06 PM.
Old 12-19-2018, 04:05 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,153 Likes on 2,460 Posts

I would think ANYTHING with a spare well about that size would be a customer for something like that!
Old 12-19-2018, 04:18 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by G Atsma
I would think ANYTHING with a spare well about that size would be a customer for something like that!
My thoughts exactly, just working with what I got first.
Old 12-19-2018, 04:23 PM
TECH Addict

Received 82 Likes on 70 Posts

Considerations:
  1. Is there a firewall between the passenger area and the trunk on this car? In the video it looked like there was not, so this would be a safety concern and could be a problem with track rules.
  2. How many gallons would this fuel cell hold? Would it be enough for your needs?
  3. How would the fuel cell be retained? Are there suitable mounting points?
  4. How/where would the fuel cell be vented?
  5. If you are doing an in-tank fuel pump, how would you route the lines? Typically in tank pumps at attached via a hanger and the fuel supply and return exit from the top of the tank. That may not work well with your intended pass through at the oval opening under the fuel cell
Generally I would say this would work fine, but has the same considerations of any in-trunk fuel cell which I think I covered above.
Old 12-19-2018, 06:51 PM
On The Tree

I Agree completely, the considerations are all the same as any trunk mounted fuel cell. Without question it is in the trunk just the same. I expected to fill and vent as such. Mounting pumps and such considerations are all part of building something like this that have to be sorted out but having been through similar deals I can deal with it.
Old 12-19-2018, 07:32 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,153 Likes on 2,460 Posts

Good points Clint! Good to remind us of these considerations. Safety first!