Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

what parts to get next?

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2018, 06:06 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what parts to get next?

I'm building my first motor and so far I have a bare block from summit racing. A ls 6.0 iron block, I plan to run twin 64mm bw turbos with a blowthrough carb on pump gas with l92 heads.

My point is that if I want to get a cam I need to know what my head setup will be first, csu needs to know my complete setup before they can build a carb, before I get pistons I need to know what cam i'm running for valve reliefs correct? How should I go about getting parts in what order? My plan is block, crank, rods, heads, pistons...? I prefer to get the more expensive things out of the way first per my plan.
Old 12-26-2018, 06:35 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 526 Likes on 356 Posts

start with your power goals, ET mph, then work backwards from the fuel system. those cubes turbos and a mild cam will make over 1000 wheel...which i can tell you from experience is100% ****** insane in a pickup truck
Old 12-26-2018, 07:16 PM
TECH Addict

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Doug is right, start with your goals or plan to buy a lot of things twice, three times or worse never finish the project.

I would argue that even 550 to 600 HP to the tire in a street vehicle on a random street without traction control, etc. is about 200 HP more than most people can handle.
Old 12-27-2018, 10:09 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I guess my previous post is waiting to be reviewed by a moderator????? Anywho I plan to be a conservative 700hp with room to grow. I’m building for 1,000hp but not going to be pushing it. I come from the diesel world and understand what power feels like for sure. Still getting use to Hp being in line with torque generally whereas on a diesel torque is usually double the hp.
Old 12-27-2018, 02:18 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 526 Likes on 356 Posts

with twins on a 6 liter i'd probably look at a 228/236 ish duration with around .600 lift on a 114 or so lobe sep. thats just a rough guess based on what has worked in the past. I'm not a rectangle port guy so it may differ

if you really want a good performing package, call LJMS or brian tooley or the like and ask what cam they recommend for your turbos, converter, gears, and weight