Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

California Erod Install

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2019, 11:11 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,221 Likes on 2,513 Posts

Originally Posted by 64post
Tuske427, that’s good info. The MIL light visibly inside is a given though. I’ve been told 04 GTO is a good swap donor because it has less emissions than most LS powered cars.
Except for the earliest LS engines with EGR and air injection, most LS engines have NO actual emissions gear on the engine itself besides PCV plumbing which is good to keep anyway. There will always be catalytic converters of course, downstream of the engine. The 04 GTO is no different than other LS engines of that time emissions gear-wise
Old 03-20-2019, 11:05 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 226 Likes on 179 Posts

Originally Posted by G Atsma
Except for the earliest LS engines with EGR and air injection, most LS engines have NO actual emissions gear on the engine itself besides PCV plumbing which is good to keep anyway. There will always be catalytic converters of course, downstream of the engine. The 04 GTO is no different than other LS engines of that time emissions gear-wise
There is emission related things to be dealt with like evap purge solenoid, leak detection pump, canister/hoses and even the gas cap. Purge valve solenoid is on the motor.....
Old 03-20-2019, 11:12 AM
TECH Senior Member

Purge valve solenoid is on the motor.....
It's "on" the motor but not functionally part of its operation. Its function is more chassis oriented. It was located on the motor as a matter of convenience.
Old 03-20-2019, 11:13 AM
On The Tree

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I've tried this twice and failed twice. Would not recommend, but I wish you luck.
Old 03-20-2019, 09:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 226 Likes on 179 Posts

[QUOTE=G Atsma;20066739]It's "on" the motor but not functionally part of its operation. Its function is more chassis oriented. It was located on the motor as a matter of convenience.[/QUOTE
You’re really very annoying with all your know it all (KIA) petty bullshit semantics I’m well aware of where the emission related equipment is located and what it does, 37 years a mechanic, 26 of those at 2 dealerships, Just stop please.
Old 03-20-2019, 10:02 PM
Teching In

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Hello All,
Its been a couple days since I have been able to check in and benefit from all your comments thanks a ton,, Tusk427 you gave some great information and your troubles will help me get through the process thanks for posting.
I did want to submit to all the most recent CARB requirements for swapping out a controlled engine for another and how that left me with only 2 engine choices, 1 Rebuild the original 305 leaving the choked out smog in place, well there's no gain for me there so that's out. Choice 2, Purchase the CARB approved EO D-126-30. The limitations in choices are subject to, 2 category's that I can identify, Classification and GVWR. Within the last couple of years CARB has amended there regulations limiting swaps to, 1- if you have a truck as I do then I can only swap into mine a newer truck engine, now here's the kicker. Within the amendment they added language that the doner vehicle " in my case a doner Truck" has to stay within your original vehicle's GVWR my GVWR is 5600. you can look but you wont find a factory emissions controlled truck with an LS engine in it with a GVWR of 5600. So classification " vehicle type" and GVWR weight limitations have excluded every LS engine out there from being candidates leaving me with my second choice to purchase a engine with an approved E.O. that removes the car truck classification and includes approval for vehicle's up to 5700 GVWR.
Tusk427 I would like to get more from you in regard to the troubles you had with the cold air intake, and that it as well needs an executive order I have not came across that, really do the cold air intake has to have an E.O.
You also mentioned a new fuel cap, from what I have read that the fuel filler tube has to be 2006 or later. did you get away with swapping from a vented to a non vented cap?
And the Amber MIL light I know there looking for a mil light I had no clue it had to be amber guess Ill have to verify, luckily my dash is still apart.
Ill post a couple pics in the next posts thanks again to all.
Old 03-20-2019, 10:12 PM
Teching In

this is a mock up setting the engine back as far as possible using the existing trans crossmenber moving back 2 inches.
Old 03-20-2019, 10:33 PM
TECH Senior Member

You’re really very annoying with all your know it all (KIA) petty bullshit semantics I’m well aware of where the emission related equipment is located and what it does, 37 years a mechanic, 26 of those at 2 dealerships, Just stop please.
Ask me if I give a rat's *** what YOU think. I don't know it all, but what I put up here I DO know, and I don't have to blow my horn about how long I've been wrenching.
Old 05-25-2019, 11:05 AM
Teching In

Hello all
I have completed the install put the truck back together it started right up, a few issues like the oil pump would not prime on its own?? manually primed it no more issues runs great even got the AC completed hoses and mating the fittings to the new compressor was a challenge.
I'm now preparing to go to BAR and hopefully get signed off. I purchased a scan tool to check my readiness and after several drive cycles the 02 Sensor will not ready leaving me with 1 flag. The computer has no codes and the MIL is not illuminated, but verified to be working during the self check at startup. Has anyone had this issue I have put about 400 miles on the truck completed the drive cycle at least 4 times cleared the computer with the tool effectively resetting the sensors to not ready and repeating the drive cycle and even cleared by battery disconnect. efter each drive cycle the pesky 02 sensor is the only one that wont set. if anyone can share some thought it would be appreciated.
Old 06-03-2019, 09:51 PM
Teching In

This was a process I would like to conclude this posting and let you all know 3 days ago the last monitor showed ready "which was the oxygen sensor" so in total it took 650 miles for all of the monitors to be ready. Once I seen it on my OBDII reader I called B.A.R. and scheduled for today, there were no issues I passed the visual and tailpipe inspection and received my exemption from the old engines emissions to the EROD emissions. Just a Heads up for anyone looking to get this done they require your Crank positioning sensor calibration to be dealer documented so have your Free Calibration dealer completed and have them fill out the coupon in the I sheet and bring that with you.
Thanks for all everyone's help..
Old 06-04-2019, 05:28 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 214 Likes on 172 Posts

Congratulations!! There should almost be a new section on this site just for E-rod installations in California. It seems that these motors are becoming more popular.

Rick
Old 08-20-2024, 04:02 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rodwood
This was a process I would like to conclude this posting and let you all know 3 days ago the last monitor showed ready "which was the oxygen sensor" so in total it took 650 miles for all of the monitors to be ready. Once I seen it on my OBDII reader I called B.A.R. and scheduled for today, there were no issues I passed the visual and tailpipe inspection and received my exemption from the old engines emissions to the EROD emissions. Just a Heads up for anyone looking to get this done they require your Crank positioning sensor calibration to be dealer documented so have your Free Calibration dealer completed and have them fill out the coupon in the I sheet and bring that with you.
Thanks for all everyone's help..
Do you happen to know what the rules where for exhaust manifold change? Currently doing the same and going to be using 8501hkr from holley. As far as what gm performance support told me its fine as long as the oxygen sensor is 16-20inches from the rear exhaust port on the head.
Old 08-20-2024, 05:23 PM
TECH Senior Member

GM is correct. Hooker manifolds function as stock ones. O2 sensor placement is as they say,
Old 08-20-2024, 05:51 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by G Atsma
GM is correct. Hooker manifolds function as stock ones. O2 sensor placement is as they say,
Thank you, I do have to clock it a little bit where the cats mount to the manifold but it should be pretty close to what it is now and still within the 16-20 inches