Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Quick coil harness question

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2019, 01:54 PM
Launching!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Question Quick coil harness question

Hey guys, I'm hoping that this will be an easy question - after upgrading some internals, I'm working on putting everything back together. I'm ready to reinstall the coil harnesses, but I've just realized that (like a dumbass) I didn't note which harness came off of which bank, nor did I even note which end goes to the front... I have compared the wire colors for each connector in the two harnesses, & they appear to be identical (which makes me suspect that they're probably interchangeable from side to side). Is anyone here able to confirm whether or not they are interchangeable from side to side??

Also (part 2 of my question) - does anyone know of a free online resource that I can use to see which wire colors are used for which coil, so that I can (hopefully) determine which end of each harness goes to the front?? I'm working with a 2008 truck engine if that matters. Thanks in advance guys.
Old 03-28-2019, 05:32 PM
TECH Regular

Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts

According to the AC Delco site and GM parts direct they are the same for both sides so it really doesn't matter which end goes where.
Old 03-29-2019, 12:03 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 79LS1FOX
According to the AC Delco site and GM parts direct they are the same for both sides so it really doesn't matter which end goes where.
Thanks for taking a look at that 79LS1FOX, I appreciate it!

But... I'm not sure that I'm understanding completely, so I'll try to write down what I'm thinking, & if I'm going astray somewhere, hopefully someone can put me on the right path. On one end of the coil harnesses, the connectors are wired as follows:

PINK
RED
BROWN
BLACK

(That's with the "clip" on top, reading it from R to L.) On the other end of the harness (reading it in the same manner), the wires are:

BLACK
BROWN
PURPLE
PINK

It looks like the BLACK, BROWN & PINK wires are common to all of the connectors, so whatever wire isn't one of those three is (at least the way I see it) probably the wire responsible for firing the spark from that coil. Since that wire is unique to each of the four connectors on the wiring harness, it seems impossible to me that the coil harnesses could be switched from back to front* without affecting the firing order.

As I wrote the above, it occurred to me that I should probably just list the colors of the wires that are unique to each connector - with any luck, that will enable someone to tell me which color goes with which cylinder... So, with that in mind, the list of unique wire colors in my coil harnesses are:

A - RED
B - GREEN (possibly "LIGHT GREEN")
C - hard for me to tell, could be a DARK GREEN, or it could be kind of a DARK BLUE/GRAY...
D - PURPLE

So - going from front to back on each bank of cylinders, do I install the coil harnesses from A to D, or from D to A?? (Maybe that's more clear than my original post??)

Thanks again guys.

* (NOT from one side/bank to the other, I'm pretty confident that's probably OK)
Old 03-29-2019, 01:20 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 197 Likes on 143 Posts

The coil harnesses should only go on one way, and they're the same for both sides, so on one side they would go from A to D and the other D to A.
Old 03-29-2019, 08:22 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by ls1nova71
The coil harnesses should only go on one way, and they're the same for both sides, so on one side they would go from A to D and the other D to A.
Thank you sir, much appreciated.