Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1998 TJ LS Swap Wiring Demo Questions - Jeep PCM

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2019, 11:30 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 1998 TJ LS Swap Wiring Demo Questions - Jeep PCM

Getting ready to tackle the wiring on my 98 TJ. I am running a 5.3 with the Howell harness and CPU, all autometer gauges and senders. No jeep gauges.

I will be demoing the C1, C2, and C3, PCM connectors and do not want to remove something I shouldn't have. Any info appreciated.

PCM C# pinout:
Injector 1 driver (ELIMINATE)
injector 3 driver (ELIMINATE)
Injector 5 driver (ELIMINATE)
Generator field driver (ELIMINATE, Howell harness will have alternator wiring)
TCC solenoid control (ELIMINATE, Howell harness will have trans 4L60 wiring)
Injector 6 driver (ELIMINATE)
Injector 2 driver (ELIMINATE)
Injector 4 driver (ELIMINATE)
Oil pressure sensor signal (Eliminate, Howell harness will provide CEL using chevy sensor, New wire from autometer sender in oil pan to new gauge)
VSS signal (Eliminate Howell will use VSS in Novak adapter for chevy CPU. Autometer gauge will run from SYE VSS wiring)
5 volt supply ---Not sure if I need this??

I will right up the other 2 PCM modules tomorrow. Hopefully this will help some other as well!

Please post any input, thanks, Aaron!!
Old 04-26-2019, 04:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 319 Likes on 234 Posts

More or less like I did on my 98 Wrangler LS swap. I used the stock gauges except tach and oil pressure. I'm running a Auto meter tach and oil pressure gauge. In your post above you said oil pressure sender in oil pan. Should be from the adapter bolted above the oil filter.
Yes on the VSS by Novak between the trans and the transfer case for the LS ECM.
I pulled the start/run power off a fuse in the fuse block.
Yes delete all the injector wiring.
Keep the starter wire. I kept the Jeep ECM in its stock location. Located the LS ECM on the flat mount under the master cylinder. It's held in place by a couple of HD zip ties and after 11 years never has been an issue.
It's been a great swap.
Old 04-27-2019, 03:28 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LS1 TJ
More or less like I did on my 98 Wrangler LS swap. I used the stock gauges except tach and oil pressure. I'm running a Auto meter tach and oil pressure gauge. In your post above you said oil pressure sender in oil pan. Should be from the adapter bolted above the oil filter.
Yes on the VSS by Novak between the trans and the transfer case for the LS ECM.
I pulled the start/run power off a fuse in the fuse block.
Yes delete all the injector wiring.
Keep the starter wire. I kept the Jeep ECM in its stock location. Located the LS ECM on the flat mount under the master cylinder. It's held in place by a couple of HD zip ties and after 11 years never has been an issue.
It's been a great swap.
Correct, I am using no stock gauges, all autometer. Oil pressure sender is in cooler adapter plate above the oil filter.
Thanks for the VSS info.
I will be putting GM cpu in same spot as I did not have ABS.
Keeping fuse block as well. I plan on picking up the relays there for fuel and starter.

Did you keep the automatic shut down relay?
Battery temp sense signal?
Do you know how much you had left in the C1, C2, C3 plugs for the jeep CPU?
Old 04-28-2019, 10:34 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 319 Likes on 234 Posts

Don't know what the automatic shut down relay is. Is that for the fuel pump? My 98 was originally a 5 speed. I used a Howell LS harness that has the fuel pump and fan relays included. I didn't know there was a battery temp sensor! In any case I don't have it hooked up.
I didn't do anything to the Jeep CPU. Just disconnected the 4 cylinder wires that were not needed. Really the only thing the Jeep CPU runs is the Speedo, temp, volt gauges along with the air bag and seat belt lights in the stock Jeep gauge cluster. Head lights, turn signals, wipers and heater works just like stock. I don't know if the Jeep CPU interfaces with any of those items. Never looked into it they just work.
I did the swap before there was a lot of swap parts available. Used Novak for the trans to T/C adapter. Main shaft replacement for the 4L60E. And their radiator. Single 16" Spal fan. No shroud and never over heats. Modded the fuel tank sender to adapt a 255 pump. -6 fuel lines. C5 FPR.