Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First lm7 swap into 1970 firebird

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2019, 08:30 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First lm7 swap into 1970 firebird

I got a lot of questions but I'll only ask a few now.
The plan for the build is stock pistons and rods, new rockers and rollers. New intake, sloppy stage 2 cam, single turbo, t56 trans. We are shooting for 500whp. My question is what turbo, headers and intercooler will fit and work in the firebird. With minimal to no fabrication. Also keeping the stock subframe. Any advice helps.
Old 06-05-2019, 08:43 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 847 Likes on 648 Posts

In before purist's heads explode.
Old 06-05-2019, 09:15 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,153 Likes on 2,460 Posts

Originally Posted by wannafbody
Got your body armor on?? lol
Old 06-06-2019, 06:28 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 451 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by wannafbody
its LS1tech, wont be much bashingo here, in fact I dont think I got any on this forum... but go to a Pontiac forum and post this!!!! WOW they defiantly go crazy....

Anyways, I just had the whole front cap off my 72 during my Ls swap and you will have plenty of room for a turbo, and should be plenty of room for a intercooler. But just from the looks of it without cutting up the front bumper/grill I dont think you will get enough air flow for a very efficient air to air. Have you thought about running an air to water intercooler?

either way your gonna be doing fabrication with the LS swap, turbo, plumbing, fuel system, ect
Old 06-06-2019, 06:58 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Ls7colorado
its LS1tech, wont be much bashingo here, in fact I dont think I got any on this forum... but go to a Pontiac forum and post this!!!! WOW they defiantly go crazy....

Anyways, I just had the whole front cap off my 72 during my Ls swap and you will have plenty of room for a turbo, and should be plenty of room for a intercooler. But just from the looks of it without cutting up the front bumper/grill I dont think you will get enough air flow for a very efficient air to air. Have you thought about running an air to water intercooler?

either way your gonna be doing fabrication with the LS swap, turbo, plumbing, fuel system, ect
Never thought about that. Where did you purchase your turbo, headers and intercooler, I found some kits but the price seems like they are to good of deal for the quality I want. Also do you think the lm7 stock heads and pistons will hold up under the extra pressure. I know I'll need to fabricate just wanting to keep as much or the stock look I can.
Old 06-06-2019, 08:44 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 451 Likes on 346 Posts

I haven't went turbo "YET" just N/A for now on a very tight budget....

But if it were me I would atleast gap the rings and do a small turbo cam. And I only say that because I know you will get the itch for more than 500hp. I dont know your budget but if you can swing it a set of summits new forged pistons and a set of Gen 4 rods would be good for considerably more power, or at the very least would last alot longer. If you honestly plan to keep it at 500Hp or stay then just leave it stock and get a good tuner. but a lm7 is only $350 at a pull a part and I still see them daily for $600-700 complete already pulled so if you pop one its not really a big deal if you keep it stock.
Old 06-06-2019, 01:36 PM
Teching In

So if I was to do forged pistons and H rods. Could retain the stock crank. What are the spec numbers for the new pistons. Also would I need to re-hone the cylinders