Sponsored by:

LS3 Power surge

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2019 | 09:37 PM
Teching In

Default LS3 Power surge

Hello all
I'm not sure where to put this so I'm going to put it in 2 places,
I installed a crate LS 3 430 HP connect and Cruise into my 1986 C 10, runs great plenty of power runs smooth and decent mileage. Typically you think great as I did until the other day I took it over to the coast, its a 35 mile trip with hard curves inclines and declines, after about 25 miles of this drive, decreasing the accelerator as I enter the turn and advancing the accelerator out of the turns I noticed my power was reduced and began surging as I tried to accelerate out of the turns. There were no other symptoms other than the power surge and sluggish decrease in power. It continued running this way for the final 10 miles, got to my friends house turned it off it sat for about 20 minutes I started it back up it ran perfectly fine, we went around town everything was back to normal until left. Back on the windy drive where again about 25 miles decreasing the accelerator in and advancing the accelerator out of the turns it again lost power became sluggish and began surging in and out of power upon acceleration, got home shut it off for a couple minutes started back up and its been running great with no power loss or power surges as I normally drive around town, the only difference is that I'm not on that road working the accelerator in and out of the turns? does anyone have an idea what this could be?
Old 07-09-2019 | 10:18 PM
TECH Junkie

Two thoughts off top of head - is fuel pickup in the tank a possible issue? Have you pulled codes to see if anything showed up? I run a 430hp LS3 crate as well - stock 08 Corvette ecu.
Old 07-11-2019 | 05:36 PM
TECH Senior Member
20 Year Member

Originally Posted by Michael Yount
Two thoughts off top of head - is fuel pickup in the tank a possible issue? Have you pulled codes to see if anything showed up? I run a 430hp LS3 crate as well - stock 08 Corvette ecu.
The fuel pickup is being uncovered on hard turns.

What tank is in this truck?

Andrew
The following users liked this post:
KW Baraka (07-12-2019)
Old 07-12-2019 | 11:25 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Project GatTagO
The fuel pickup is being uncovered on hard turns.

What tank is in this truck?

Andrew
I bet he has an unbaffled OEM tank that cam with the truck......

KW
Old 07-12-2019 | 09:34 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by KW Baraka
I bet he has an unbaffled OEM tank that cam with the truck......

KW
you are correct I reinstalled the OE tank, although I knew of the pick up problems with this I was under the impression if fuel was above 1/4 full I would see no fuel pick up issues, I have had pick up issues on my sloped driveway when I'm below 1/8 tank the tell sign was clear engine stall and dies, once I level off it picks up again there was no power surge it just dies.On the trip I'm talking of the tank was over .75 full no chance for the pickup to expose. I thought?
thanks for all your help,,
Old 07-14-2019 | 11:33 AM
TECH Senior Member
20 Year Member

Originally Posted by rodwood
you are correct I reinstalled the OE tank, although I knew of the pick up problems with this I was under the impression if fuel was above 1/4 full I would see no fuel pick up issues, I have had pick up issues on my sloped driveway when I'm below 1/8 tank the tell sign was clear engine stall and dies, once I level off it picks up again there was no power surge it just dies.On the trip I'm talking of the tank was over .75 full no chance for the pickup to expose. I thought?
thanks for all your help,,
Where is the pickup in relation to the return?

Andrew