1970 Super Sport LT4 Nova Burns Down the House

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2019, 01:40 PM
LS1Tech Editor

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Default 1970 Super Sport LT4 Nova Burns Down the House

1970 Super Sport LT4 Nova Burns Down the House
By Brett Foote

Who knew that calling this sweet Nova a "restomod" would lead to such massive backlash?
Old 07-16-2019, 02:36 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,104 Likes on 2,419 Posts

Why the backlash?
Old 07-18-2019, 12:09 PM
Launching!

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Funny thing is, I was the primary instigator on the CHP Instagram page. The Nova is beautiful, but it is a Pro-Touring ride. Rather than rewrite what I wrote in the email to the editor, I will just copy and paste the email below:

Hi Nick,

I was one of the primary instigators on CHP's Instagram page for the Restomod vs Pro Touring argument. You should also note that a couple weeks after they initially posted the Nova, they made a follow up post that claimed it was Pro-Touring. This was about 8 weeks ago according to Instagram. Take a look, its still there.

In my opinion, that Nova is Pro Touring.There is some gray area between the two classifications, but there is also some hard lines as well.

Restomod means that the vehicle is built to look original or semi-original (think aftermarket 15inch wheels) with upgraded amenities. Things like disc brakes, tubular control arms, aluminum radiator, overdrive tranny, air conditioning, power steering, EFI, etc. The thing is that it needs to have a mostly original appearance.

The Nova does not even come close to the above requirements. The hard line is drawn with the front spoiler, the large wheels, the cage, the seats, the seat belts, and the engine. It does at least have an original style dash instead of a dash with an Autometer guage cluster or something similar which would push it even farther into the pro touring realm.

It can sometimes be difficult to tell between a restomod and a Pro-Touring vehicle, but this Nova is without a doubt Pro-Touring.
Old 07-20-2019, 03:58 PM
TECH Addict

Received 82 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by Smitty454
Funny thing is, I was the primary instigator on the CHP Instagram page. The Nova is beautiful, but it is a Pro-Touring ride. Rather than rewrite what I wrote in the email to the editor, I will just copy and paste the email below:

Hi Nick,

I was one of the primary instigators on CHP's Instagram page for the Restomod vs Pro Touring argument. You should also note that a couple weeks after they initially posted the Nova, they made a follow up post that claimed it was Pro-Touring. This was about 8 weeks ago according to Instagram. Take a look, its still there.

In my opinion, that Nova is Pro Touring.There is some gray area between the two classifications, but there is also some hard lines as well.

Restomod means that the vehicle is built to look original or semi-original (think aftermarket 15inch wheels) with upgraded amenities. Things like disc brakes, tubular control arms, aluminum radiator, overdrive tranny, air conditioning, power steering, EFI, etc. The thing is that it needs to have a mostly original appearance.

The Nova does not even come close to the above requirements. The hard line is drawn with the front spoiler, the large wheels, the cage, the seats, the seat belts, and the engine. It does at least have an original style dash instead of a dash with an Autometer guage cluster or something similar which would push it even farther into the pro touring realm.

It can sometimes be difficult to tell between a restomod and a Pro-Touring vehicle, but this Nova is without a doubt Pro-Touring.
I really hope this doesn't keep you up at night. There are so many more important things to discuss about a car than what category it fits under.

I call my car a restomod but someone could make an argument for it being pro touring or some other thing... I frankly don't care what you call it. I built it for me and it has a balance of originality and customization that makes me happy. Let the builder call it what they want.