Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Large Capacity Power Steering Reservoir

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2019, 06:49 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Large Capacity Power Steering Reservoir

I have a question for the minds here related to my BMW H31 hydroboost setup.

I am having an issue where my accumulator will loose its capacity to hold the fluid in reserve and will dump whatever volume of fluid it holds (~ 0.5 qt.?) into the reservoir. I am running the stock PS reservoir and if I am keeping my reservoir at the recommended level, the reservoir will overflow when this charge is dumped resulting in a bunch of fluid on the floor.

This typically occurs after the car has sat for a few days.
I have read that this is likely a failure of the accumulator or the regulator (component that sits on top of the regulator). I have a new accumulator on the way, but regardless, this still presents an issue where in the event of an emergency, I would have a bunch of PS fluid coming out of the reservoir in the middle of a (likely) panicked braking event.

So coming to my question. Does anyone know of a large capacity PS pump reservoir that is available? I have looked around quite a bit, but haven't found anything. I would even settle for an aluminum one that could be modified for the extra capacity, If anyone has any leads or ideas, I'd love to hear them.

Old 07-26-2019, 06:51 AM
Restricted User

Received 107 Likes on 89 Posts

You can use a remote mounted reservoir of whatever size you want. Almost anything will work, even coolant overflow tanks.
Old 07-26-2019, 06:58 AM
Staging Lane

You can use a remote mounted reservoir of whatever size you want. Almost anything will work, even coolant overflow tanks.
Thanks for your reply. I was wondering about this option. Would a remote tank have to be mounted higher than the pump to gravity feed it? Mine is pretty high currently.
Old 07-26-2019, 07:31 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 196 Likes on 142 Posts

Yes it would definitely have to be mounted higher than the pump.
Old 07-26-2019, 07:41 AM
Staging Lane

Yes it would definitely have to be mounted higher than the pump.
I guess another option would be to swap the locations of the alternator and the PS pump. I would guess there are brackets out there to do this?