Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Electric Fans Melted

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2019 | 04:59 PM
On The Tree

Default Electric Fans Melted

I was wondering if anyone could shed some light on what happened with my truck last week. You can see details in my build thread but these are stock 2012 Camaro fans and shroud on a stock 2012 Camaro radiator in my 1991 C1500. The truck has a little over 10K miles since the swap and it has never had an issue, even down here in the Florida heat. The fans don't normally even come on unless I'm stopped but it was in the mid 90's and I was stuck in some stop and go when I noticed it was running about 10-15 degrees hotter than normal. I got it home but it was raining so I wasn't able to look at until the next day. I popped the hood and noticed the fans were rubbing on the shroud, and crooked, pulled them and this is what I found. The plastic center of both fans is melted like the fan motor spun while the fans were stopped and it somehow spun the metal centers before the motors locked up.

I've ordered a new set and they'll be here today but I would like to figure out what happened so I can not have to do this again. Anyone ever seen anything like this?

Rock
Old 08-29-2019 | 05:14 PM
TECH Junkie

Following along to learn something. Glad it didn’t overheat and damage anything.
Old 08-29-2019 | 05:55 PM
TECH Addict
15 Year Member

How is everything mounted? Any chance the fans could've somehow shifted relative to the shroud? (In other words, the fan-to-shroud contact started before the fans overheated and melted the plastic.)
Old 08-29-2019 | 06:24 PM
TECH Junkie

In the old 700 series Volvos, the fan into the shroud was a clear symptom of failed motor mounts....
Old 08-29-2019 | 07:01 PM
Banned

Are the fans genuine GM or AC Delco parts, or aftermarket?
Old 08-30-2019 | 02:34 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor
10 Year Member

The fan motor got so hot that it melted the plastic around the metal mount. I would check the current draw from the new fans to make sure they are within spec.

It could be a simple as the bearings in the old motor were starting to wear and caused excess heat as well.

Standalone LS Swap Harnesses IN STOCK!
LSX, LTX Stand alone swap harnesses. S10 LSX conversion PLUG AND PLAY harnesses, 24x conversion PLUG AND PLAY harnesses. LT1 to LSX PLUG AND PLAY Harnesses.
sales@bp-automotive.com
www.bp-automotive.com
1-888-467-4491
Old 09-08-2019 | 12:29 PM
On The Tree

The fans in the shroud were brand new (Dorman brand) and they are mounted to a brand new radiator (AC Delco), everything is exactly how it would be in a Camaro none of the tabs are broken and the bolts were tight. Before it overheated the fans were working fine keeping everything cool in the Florida summer heat. I finally got the new fans and shroud I ordered and the shroud is cracked so I can't put anything back together yet. I'll check the voltage though when I'm able to put new ones in.

Rock

Quick Reply: Electric Fans Melted