Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LQ4 + E90 should = Love ? build

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2019, 08:38 PM
Staging Lane

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Lol thats fair.. but if anyone is on the market for sawsall blade I definitely recommend the Milwaukee tourch bi metal blades.. and yeah like I said I'm gonna look into the cooling package, maybe a 2 or 3 core upgrade for the BMW might have the capacity.. I'm gonna look into the v8 BMW rads and see is anything is compatible .. as always thanks for the input !!!
Old 09-07-2019, 05:30 PM
Staging Lane

So the bmw is out ! Came out quite easily.. the front cross member coming off as a hole is quite handy and tones of room !! My buddy with the flat decki s coming tomorrow to bring it to home base ..
Old 04-19-2020, 02:09 PM
Staging Lane

Well I haven't posted in a good while now.. the swap did not stop just the swap/helping other with there cars/ being a dad took some time but I've been snapping pictures along the way.. there will be a huge post of the pictures if anyone is interested? But its cranking now using all factory bmw no switches ..
The following users liked this post:
Homer_Simpson (04-16-2023)
Old 04-19-2020, 03:42 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1,743 Likes on 1,301 Posts

Got a friend contemplating this. Any pics, how-to's, issues, resolutions,etc. are useful.
Old 04-19-2020, 06:46 PM
Staging Lane

Yes i have tones coming.. this is the way I did it not saying it's the right way lol but a way..
Old 04-19-2020, 08:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Would like to know how you was able to use the factory gauges.

Thanks.

Stampede.
Old 04-20-2020, 07:20 AM
Staging Lane

The fuel sending unit is still bmw, the speedometer runs off the abs wheel speed sensor which is still intact, the rpm I haven't confirmed but the bmw runs the tach from the crank signal.. i left this wire in the factory DME and gave it the ls tach signal... i will have a further update on this soon to see if it works
Old 04-20-2020, 07:33 AM
Staging Lane

Few more pics

Mock up

Truck pan, had to notch a corner from the pan and shorten the sump.. level with the filter.

4l80e.. wife approved... and very very tight

You can see the trans oil pan.. not my favorite would have liked it up higher but i can live with it..

Using oem mounts, but made some tubular engine to bmw adapters

Trans mount.. beta version i will be re designing it.. it works just not happy with it..

The bmw runs about 70 psi with an internal fpr basically a dead head system.. i ran a rrturn line from a fpr drilled and put a bulk head fitting in the drivers side sending unit.. yes i said drivers side.. they run a camel hump fuel tank, one side has the fuel pump with a jet pukp that equalizes the fuel and the other side has the sending unit..

Had to modify the cover to accommodate for the return, not a huge deal
Old 04-20-2020, 07:33 AM
Staging Lane

LOTS more pics coming
Old 04-21-2020, 03:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lm7 e90

Cool build I’m preparing to swap a LM7 5.3L into a 07 328i
Old 04-21-2020, 06:07 AM
Staging Lane

Nice.. engine room wise.. pretty good. Headers (pics coming) were modified s10 swap headers. Trans with the automatic that was tight. I'm sure a tr6060 or t56 would have a better fit
Old 04-21-2020, 06:11 AM
Staging Lane

Old 04-21-2020, 07:35 PM
Staging Lane

Crazy awesome thing is a yoke for a 4l80e has the perfect interference for on the bmw driveshaft

I made a bracket for the bmw powersteering pump.. i believe ict billet sells one, very nice product but i took a stab at building one

Fuse box for the engine, and somt of the coolant routing from the bmw surge tank to the ls.. not too bad but some fancy hose work. Luckily im a international tech and they have some "interesting " ways of coolant routing which gives a large selection of different bends etc.

Engine harness complete.. one word for everyone tesa tape.. not the cheapest but ibuse it at work, great heat resistant, and great anti abrasive features

Trans cooler bulk head fitting. Made it like this to keep the bmw front clip a nice one piece removable module... also tgat coolant fitting off the rad is off of a e46 chassis. Some small filing to get the snap ring groove reoriented.. reasoning is that temp sensor controls the fan and the e90 is a tight 90*and with this as you can see its a decent shot to the water pump. Trying to use as much oem as possible eiyher gm or bmw for easy of replacement parts
Old 04-21-2020, 07:40 PM
Staging Lane

Crazy awesome thing is a yoke for a 4l80e has the perfect interference for on the bmw driveshaft

I made a bracket for the bmw powersteering pump.. i believe ict billet sells one, very nice product but i took a stab at building one

Fuse box for the engine, and somt of the coolant routing from the bmw surge tank to the ls.. not too bad but some fancy hose work. Luckily im a international tech and they have some "interesting " ways of coolant routing which gives a large selection of different bends etc.

Engine harness complete.. one word for everyone tesa tape.. not the cheapest but ibuse it at work, great heat resistant, and great anti abrasive features

Trans cooler bulk head fitting. Made it like this to keep the bmw front clip a nice one piece removable module... also tgat coolant fitting off the rad is off of a e46 chassis. Some small filing to get the snap ring groove reoriented.. reasoning is that temp sensor controls the fan and the e90 is a tight 90*and with this as you can see its a decent shot to the water pump. Trying to use as much oem as possible eiyher gm or bmw for easy of replacement parts

Old 04-21-2020, 07:45 PM
Staging Lane

Of you wanna see it cranking off the bmw factory swicth using the can bus I made a small little youtube thing
look up
Josh prince disastrous swaps
Old 04-23-2020, 07:47 PM
Staging Lane

Tach isn't working but i have a plan B.. stay tuned
Old 04-23-2020, 09:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default E90

Originally Posted by jprince
https://youtu.be/L2NTuSOEhZA

Tach isn't working but i have a plan B.. stay tuned
I will be doing a swap like this how did you get everything to work except the tach?
Old 04-24-2020, 07:23 PM
Staging Lane

Well the plan b for the tach didn't work.. blahhh
well the speedo works off the abs so that's left alone. The fuel gauge works off the bmw sending unit so that left and ok now the engine and the bmw starter. So the oem bmw ecm otherwise known as a dme is left in.. I de pinned the hole ecm that was engine related except wire number 221 (yellow).. I'll get back to that... so by keeping all the main powers and ground from the junction box energizing the dme the car doesn't know the engine isnt there just that it's got allllottt of problems. Now off the bmw starter there signal wire is a 10 gauge white wire dont pull him out you will use him to trigger the gm starter... so key inserted press your button ( I had to bypass the clutch using a momentary switch in a sneaky spot) and boom you get aprox 4 seconds of crank and fuel pump prime.. now back to the yellow wire 221. This is the crank signal from the engine this needs to see tach signal to keep the fuel pump running. Just tap in the tach output wire from the gm ecm.. doesn't need a pick up and I'm running it res hi and low on the factory ls setting doesn't seem to care. Boom engine runs.. hopefully without the boom part.. the bmw pump flows like 200 and change lph at 70psi hence my fpr and a custom return line.. I didn't but I'm sure you could keep the factory coolant temp sensor too.. I'm running gauges just cause I like the precision.. still working on the tach thou... ...
The following users liked this post:
Homer_Simpson (04-16-2023)
Old 04-25-2020, 10:49 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 593 Likes on 471 Posts

Congrats on first start. Its always a exciting hearing it.
Old 04-25-2020, 02:41 PM
Staging Lane

Thanks!!!! If anyone has any insite on the bmw tach I'm all ears.. I really wanna keep it all OEM but if I have I have to I'll run a clean aftermarket:/.. no shift light thou if my wife sees a huge yellow light flash in her face I could just imagine lol.. on the other hand what would she be doing at 6000 rpm.. hmmmmm

Quick Reply: LQ4 + E90 should = Love ? build