Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gen IV ECU Integration (T-56, Cruise Control, Cooling Fans, etc)

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2019, 01:29 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Gen IV ECU Integration (T-56, Cruise Control, Cooling Fans, etc)

I've been throwing around the idea of switching to a gen iv 6.0 from the LQ4 that's currently in my Chevelle. After reading through a ton of write-ups it seems that integrating external inputs and outputs is a lot more difficult with the E38 and E67 systems than with the old gen iii stuff. From my reading so far, these appear to be the biggest challenges:

- Cruise control with discreet i/os for given functions. Legacy GM switched deliver +12v inputs for cruise on, resume/accel, and set/coast. The Trailblazer E67 operating system is the only one that can handle these.
- Electronic cooling fans. It looks like a patched Trailblazer OS is available to add these controls.
- T-56 VSS input. Platforms which were automatic-only would have had the VSS signal going into the TCM instead. I saw multiple posts about installing a VSS in the C3 66 and 67 pins, however no seemed able to confirm that it worked in their own swap. More specifically, does it apply to all operating systems (such as the Trailblazer OS).
- T-56 reverse lockout. This same issue would apply to automatic-only platforms. For my LQ4, I was able to email HPTuners and have them manually add reverse lockout parameters and identify which pin would supply the switched gound. Is the same approach possible for the gen iv computers?
- Clutch switch input for cruise control cancel. Same issue as above.

These issues have been around from the start and based on my experience with adding the reverse lockout funtion to an 03-07 Silverado operating system, it seems like it would be possible for HPTuners or EFI Live to release a custom operating system that would include all of the neccesary functions for a common engine swap using an E67 ECU. Am I understanding these issues correctly, or is a simpler solution available? (short of switching to an aftermarket engine controller)
Old 10-01-2019, 07:17 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am using the GMPP LS3 setup with my engine. It uses an E67, There are advantages/disadvantages with this system. Here is my experience with it- I have been running it for several years and it has been good to me. I plan on adding the Dakota digital DBW cruise control with mine. The GMPP harness comes with only one fan output but you can purchase an add on circuit to run two fans from www.PCMOFNC.com . T56 input? The GMP harness come standard with a 40 tooth reluctor wheel setting. You can reprogram the PCM to "trick" it and use either an LS style T56 or T56 magnum. Not complicated but you must do this through HPTuners. The GMPP harness does not have provisions in the harness for a RLO, but you can add the pin yourself and it works great. I haven't changed anything in the tune for the RLO and it works fine. You must have the correct VSS info though. I plan on adding a clutch switch into my car (they didn't come in Camaros starting until 69). Esay to do, just wire the NSS wires through the switch. I plan on using the Dakota Digital in conjunction with the clutch switch. I have talked to others that haven't and just turn it off manually.

Quick Reply: Gen IV ECU Integration (T-56, Cruise Control, Cooling Fans, etc)