Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hooker Blackheart Jeep TJ LS and LT Engine Swap Systems Thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2020, 08:58 AM
Banned

Received 203 Likes on 123 Posts

Yes, progress in this development project is on schedule and the various parts within it will start getting released in a couple of weeks. The LS headers are going through their first production run now and I expect them to get released first and be followed by the engine mounting brackets shortly thereafter. Is your Wrangler a 4.0L model?
Old 03-08-2020, 10:41 AM
Staging Lane

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Toddoky
Yes, progress in this development project is on schedule and the various parts within it will start getting released in a couple of weeks. The LS headers are going through their first production run now and I expect them to get released first and be followed by the engine mounting brackets shortly thereafter. Is your Wrangler a 4.0L model?
Yes my Wrangler is a 2000 4.0. I will be swapping a 2002 LQ4 based engine with 4L80E transmission and NP242AMG transfer case if that means anything. As the vehicle will be used for some high wheel speed mud and sand dunes it might help it breath better if it was a dual exhaust. Do you offer a dual exhaust package for this? Will there also be 1 7/8 primary long tube options?
Old 03-08-2020, 12:23 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by busted33
Yes my Wrangler is a 2000 4.0. I will be swapping a 2002 LQ4 based engine with 4L80E transmission and NP242AMG transfer case if that means anything. As the vehicle will be used for some high wheel speed mud and sand dunes it might help it breath better if it was a dual exhaust. Do you offer a dual exhaust package for this? Will there also be 1 7/8 primary long tube options?
No, a dual exhaust system will not be offered as one of the available parts in this system. With all the transmission, transfer case and suspension system combinations that can possibly be used in these vehicles, it would be impossible to design a dual system to come out of a box that could be expected to fit them all. Because of that, the single 3” exhaust system was chosen as the only configuration to be developed and its compatibility will be conditional as well based on the specific drivetrain/suspension system employed by the user. The headers themselves are also affected by the need to provide excellent spark plug/boot clearance as well as optimal clearances between themselves and the front suspension and steering components of the vehicle. These considerations limit the size of the primary tubes that can be employed to 1-3/4”, if achieving optimized fitment is a principle requirement of their design.
Old 03-10-2020, 12:50 PM
Banned

Just an update to drop here, I can confirm that the LS swap headers will definitely be the next part of this swap system that will get released and that could happen as soon as the end of next week, or the week after that. I am preparing product release materials for them now, so they are getting close.
Old 04-01-2020, 03:45 PM
Banned

We have run a little behind on this application, but the first production runs of the LS and LT swap headers and the related engine mounting brackets have been completed and will be getting released soon. Additional news I have to report is that the headers and their matching Y-pipe from this application will all be incorporated into the Hooker Blackheart Jeep YJ LS/LT swap system that I am working on completing. That application will have its own specific engine mounting brackets and exhaust system to differentiate it from the Jeep TJ swap system. I will create a support thread for that swap system also over the coming weeks.
Old 04-01-2020, 06:19 PM
TECH Resident

Received 27 Likes on 16 Posts

Head over to manufacturing and tell them guys to step it up on the 73-87 C-10 Blackheart exhaust system......lol

I have another side exit set on order and they are saying ship the 29th. That date slipped about two weeks......

T,
Old 04-01-2020, 06:36 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by TomM
Head over to manufacturing and tell them guys to step it up on the 73-87 C-10 Blackheart exhaust system......lol

I have another side exit set on order and they are saying ship the 29th. That date slipped about two weeks......

T,
The Coronavirus situation has definitely had an affect on the production schedule and shipping dates, but I hope you don’t have to wait much longer to receive your order.
Old 04-01-2020, 09:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 347 Likes on 252 Posts

Toddoky,
I retired a couple years ago, I worked for 36 years for company that manufactured high end packaging equipment that today end users are supplying all manner of food and paper products to the US and beyond. They are working 24/7 to supply everything needed. I hope you and yours and your people at work are doing well. I know you and your management group are keeping the best interest of all your employees in mind. But please keep in mind you are building hot rod parts. If they aren't done for summer it really doesn't matter everything considered. Seems a bit harsh but it's true.
What most people or our stupid elected people don't know you can't just build more masks or make more whatever without the needed equipment and parts.
No one stocks these special machines. The delivery for any special machine is 6 months at best and then training people to run them. I'm sure you and your company are doing the best they can but if you production lines can supply any thing to kill the China virus problem please do. I don't if your company can help but if I and your company can help I'm happy to get you in contact with my former company. Just let me know via PM.
Again I hope you and your company is safe.
A bit off topic sorry.
Old 04-02-2020, 05:39 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by LS1 TJ
Toddoky,
I retired a couple years ago, I worked for 36 years for company that manufactured high end packaging equipment that today end users are supplying all manner of food and paper products to the US and beyond. They are working 24/7 to supply everything needed. I hope you and yours and your people at work are doing well. I know you and your management group are keeping the best interest of all your employees in mind. But please keep in mind you are building hot rod parts. If they aren't done for summer it really doesn't matter everything considered. Seems a bit harsh but it's true.
What most people or our stupid elected people don't know you can't just build more masks or make more whatever without the needed equipment and parts.
No one stocks these special machines. The delivery for any special machine is 6 months at best and then training people to run them. I'm sure you and your company are doing the best they can but if you production lines can supply any thing to kill the China virus problem please do. I don't if your company can help but if I and your company can help I'm happy to get you in contact with my former company. Just let me know via PM.
Again I hope you and your company is safe.
A bit off topic sorry.
Thanks for your post LS1 TJ. I don't know what the plans of management are at this point as I have no involvement with that part of company beyond taking marching orders from those that work in it. They may very well be seeking to contribute to the state and national effort to manage the pandemic, but I have no way of knowing if they are. I will be coming to work to design engine swap systems as long as they tell me to do so, and then stay home with my family, if or when they tell me to no longer come in.
The following users liked this post:
G Atsma (04-02-2020)
Old 05-26-2020, 03:39 PM
Banned

I'll have some product release information to report regarding the LS and LT headers for this application and the supporting Y-pipe for them within the next few days.
The following users liked this post:
G Atsma (05-26-2020)
Old 05-27-2020, 12:28 AM
TECH Addict

Received 477 Likes on 367 Posts

Would it be safe to assume the headers would fit a swapped YJ too? I should have more room than the TJ, straight instead of tapered frame..
Old 05-27-2020, 06:02 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by pdxmotorhead
Would it be safe to assume the headers would fit a swapped YJ too? I should have more room than the TJ, straight instead of tapered frame..
Yes, the headers and Y-pipe that will be getting released will have a 1987-2006 model year application range. However, the YJ engine mounting brackets designed for use with them won’t be available for another couple of months as I’m still working my way through the development of those components. The engine mounting brackets from both Wrangler platforms position the engine and transmission in the chassis at the stock passenger side offset position and the headers and Y-pipe will require this same offset positioning for fitment to be as expected by design.
Old 05-27-2020, 01:00 PM
Banned

For those following this thread that find value in reading supportive information, I'm going to post the technical guide I've compiled for this application here now, since it may help to bring about some more questions once some of you have had a chance to read through it.
Attached Files
Old 06-30-2020, 03:18 PM
Banned

There's been some good movement on this system over the last few days towards getting things released, so I'm going to drop a couple of preview photos here to prompt questions and discussion on what is coming

Old 07-01-2020, 01:14 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Toddoky
There's been some good movement on this system over the last few days towards getting things released, so I'm going to drop a couple of preview photos here to prompt questions and discussion on what is coming
Thanks for the update! I am watching this with great interest even though my bank account tells me I still have plenty of time for planning. Based on what you have posted so far this new product looks very promising.
Old 07-01-2020, 03:11 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by melvin1313
Thanks for the update! I am watching this with great interest even though my bank account tells me I still have plenty of time for planning. Based on what you have posted so far this new product looks very promising.
Since you haven't started your swap, you'll be in a good position to take advantage of the combined benefits of the system components. I know that some guys will be wanting to cherry-pick the headers and Y-pipe out of the system to use with other brand mounting brackets, but I don't think that is going to produce good results in many instances.
Old 07-01-2020, 04:39 PM
Banned

I though I'd give the LT engine placement a little coverage on my way out of the office today.

Old 07-06-2020, 03:25 PM
Banned

The last of the LS and LT swap parts went up on the website today, so I am free to post images of them and answer any technical questions related to them. Here are images of the LS and LT headers and the Y-pipe that is used with both of them.

Old 07-06-2020, 03:32 PM
Banned

And here is an image of the engine mounting brackets that are used for either engine on the 6 cylinder TJ frame. The difference in the mounting between the LS and the LT engines is in the Hooker Blackheart engine mounting clamshell cages that attach to the engine. The frame side mounting brackets and the polyurethane motor mount inserts that install within the clamshells are shared with both engines.

Old 07-07-2020, 09:06 AM
Banned

Some more close-up installed views of the engine mounting brackets, the LS headers and the Y-pipe.

Quick Reply: Hooker Blackheart Jeep TJ LS and LT Engine Swap Systems Thread