Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hooker Blackheart Jeep TJ LS and LT Engine Swap Systems Thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2022, 07:22 PM
Teching In

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

if you dont mind id like a pic of the passenger side. just going off the pics ive seen i feel like they would work but if not im sure i can make some mounts to work. is that the holley midmount kit? did you paint it or that the black it comes? im waiting on mine to come in and its the black kit.
Old 01-06-2022, 08:09 PM
Teching In

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yes, its the mid mount. After reading a few things, I painted the black mid mount housing black. It came flat/satin black. I painted it gloss black high temp paint I had sitting around.

Drivers side pics
Hooker Blackheart Jeep TJ LS and LT Engine Swap Systems Thread-uaxmdcxh.jpg
Hooker Blackheart Jeep TJ LS and LT Engine Swap Systems Thread-fcb9pt5h.jpg

Passenger side

Hooker Blackheart Jeep TJ LS and LT Engine Swap Systems Thread-hkupyakh.jpg

lines on the frame rails comparing the stock engine placement to the LS. Well approximate front of engine placement

One thing I am still figuring out is the clearance for the high pinion 60 front axle and the mounts and headers. It's going to be close, but I am also looking for as much up travel as possible, or more. Since I don't have the transmission yet, I can only approximate the driveshaft. To be fair, it was close with the I6 as well.

Also since no transmission I have not done a final fitment of the mounts. There are gaps between the frame and the mounts in the pics that look bigger in the pics than I noticed. Once the transmission is in and I can finalize placement, I'll work on the final fitment of the mounts.

I didn't do an install/build thread here, not totally sure it warrants one...

Old 01-06-2022, 08:22 PM
Teching In

appreciate that. do you happen to know the distance between the frame and the closest part of the header on the driver side? from what i understand the novak is more set to the driver side and the holley to the passenger. if theres atleast 2-1/4" it may work with the novak mounts.
Old 01-06-2022, 08:52 PM
Teching In

Ill take some measurements in the morning. Thinking 2-1/4 is easy
The following users liked this post:
DuckHunter5.7 (01-06-2022)
Old 01-06-2022, 09:35 PM
Teching In

yeah it looks like it has plenty of clearance to the frame rail. im prolly gonna give em a shot if i can wait long enough for em to get back in stock. i appreciate all the pics they help.
Old 01-07-2022, 10:55 AM
Teching In

Tried to get some pics of the tape measure. Again, I am not fully welded in and no transmission to make sure of everything. Body is off, bla Black bla

The engine appears to be about 1/2 off set
The back of the engine to the frame on each side appears to be about 8-3/4. Not sure if the block is symmetrical where I put the tape...
Front of the block is about 8" DS and 6-1/2 passenger side.
pics for reference

I still need to change from the truck pan to the Holley pan. It appears after I do that the oil pan will be about even with the frame. This should make the skid plate easier.
DuckHunter5.7 (01-07-2022)
Old 01-07-2022, 12:51 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,202 Likes on 2,500 Posts

Measure from the crank bolt to the frame as close as possible.
Symmetry issues alleviated.
Old 01-10-2022, 08:10 AM
Teching In

the front is about an inch to the passenger side, measured as above. but again, noting is in place yet.
Old 06-14-2022, 06:30 PM
Teching In

I was just following up to see if anyone has used the headers with Novak mounts. Mine was just thrown together and stupid restrictive, dual 2” to single 2.25” and just ready to get a better system after 2 years.
Old 08-29-2022, 02:43 PM
Teching In

a couple recent pics, got delayed with other projects, for those that are interested. for reference, LJ chassis and Tub, no body lift, 6.0 and 4l65E.
Hooker Blackheart Jeep TJ LS and LT Engine Swap Systems Thread-5f9ycrch.jpg
Hooker Blackheart Jeep TJ LS and LT Engine Swap Systems Thread-esi29n0h.jpg
ill probably massage this area a bit
Hooker Blackheart Jeep TJ LS and LT Engine Swap Systems Thread-irw9p8oh.jpg

view of the headers with fenders on and hood mocked up.
Hooker Blackheart Jeep TJ LS and LT Engine Swap Systems Thread-i8pere8h.jpg

the exhaust, with no body lift and a UCF virtually flat belly pan. I may drop the tranny mount down 1/2 inch or so transfer case clearance, so this could change.
Hooker Blackheart Jeep TJ LS and LT Engine Swap Systems Thread-rn7nlsoh.jpg
Project GatTagO (08-29-2022)
Old 08-29-2022, 08:10 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by XCRN
I was just following up to see if anyone has used the headers with Novak mounts. Mine was just thrown together and stupid restrictive, dual 2” to single 2.25” and just ready to get a better system after 2 years.
Ill respond to my self. I decided to buy the headers and full exhaust and they do work with the Novak mounts and no body or suspension lift. They do take up more room in certain areas and free up in other compared to other header configurations I have ran.
Old 08-07-2023, 12:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Toddoky
Yes, the stock truck and Trailblazer exhaust manifolds will both fit with the Hooker Blackheart engine mounting brackets, but will be nowhere near as optimized as the Hooker Blackheart headers in terms of suspension component clearance.
Toddoky, sorry to bump an old thread but I was trying to find and order the headers that match the engine mount, and cant find them anywhere, seems they are out of production.
is this true?
Old 08-07-2023, 12:17 PM
Banned

Received 203 Likes on 123 Posts

Yes, they were obsoleted by Holley along with the majority of all their other engine swap headers.
Old 08-07-2023, 03:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 347 Likes on 252 Posts

Don't know if this helps but on my 98 Wrangler LS6 swap I used 1 3/4" block hugger headers.

Quick Reply: Hooker Blackheart Jeep TJ LS and LT Engine Swap Systems Thread