Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Crank flanges and spacers

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2019, 12:28 PM
Staging Lane

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

OK so I took measurements of all my engines and looked at the rear covers.

First off, the depth between the crank flange and the bellhousing is the same.

Second, the seals are all installed correctly. Removed all the covers and checked. Like I said, my 2005 LQ4 still has a factory installed rear cover and seal. Nothing was backwards and they were seated all the way into the cover.

The ACTUAL DIFFERENCE is due to a change in the rear cover design. The mounting surface of the rear main seal protrudes by an additional ~4mm from the surface of the rear cover in the 2nd image when compared with the 3rd image, verified by caliper measurements on my engines. The part numbers for both rear covers is the same though. The rear main seals are also the same.
Old 11-12-2019, 01:03 PM
Restricted User

Received 107 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by Q8y_drifter

Second, the seals are all installed correctly. Removed all the covers and checked. Like I said, my 2005 LQ4 still has a factory installed rear cover and seal. Nothing was backwards and they were seated all the way into the cover.

The ACTUAL DIFFERENCE is due to a change in the rear cover design. The mounting surface of the rear main seal protrudes by an additional ~4mm from the surface of the rear cover in the 2nd image when compared with the 3rd image, verified by caliper measurements on my engines. The part numbers for both rear covers is the same though. The rear main seals are also the same.
Stevie Wonder could see that those seals can't possibly be both the same seal and installed the same.
Old 11-12-2019, 01:11 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,109 Likes on 2,424 Posts

There is NO difference in the covers. The pics make that obvious.
There has been NO design change in the covers.
FIX. THE. SEAL.
Old 11-12-2019, 01:15 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by JoeNova
Stevie Wonder could see that those seals can't possibly be both the same seal and installed the same.
Here are two of my engines. Same seal on both. Different crank flange surface to rear cover depth, hence the difference.

2005 LQ4 with GM FACTORY INSTALLED REAR MAIN SEAL.

2004 5.7 LS1

Old 11-12-2019, 01:21 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by G Atsma
There is NO difference in the covers. The pics make that obvious.
FIX. THE. SEAL.
LOL. None of the engines in my first post belong to me. Pics are from the net showing the same issue I have.
Old 11-12-2019, 01:31 PM
Staging Lane

Another angle compared to my L76

2012 L76

2004 LS1

Last edited by Q8y_drifter; 11-12-2019 at 02:29 PM.
Old 11-12-2019, 02:04 PM
TECH Senior Member

In the pics of the above post, the seal is not installed correctly, neither is it in the last pic of your first post.
Old 11-12-2019, 02:23 PM
Restricted User

Received 107 Likes on 89 Posts

At this point I'm going to have to assume you're trolling.

-1st,Your LQ4 in the last 2 posts aren't the same engine unless you gave it a bath after the first one.
-2nd, both of those LQ4 pics show the seal sitting slightly inside of the cover.
Look at the very top of the seal in the 1st pic and very bottom of the seal in the 2nd pic, you can see the face of the seal surface on the cover sticking out past the seal.
-3rd, both of the seals in the LS1 pics show the seal sitting out of the cover.
Look at the bottom of both pics. You can see the outer face of the seal that it supposed to be flush with the cover.
-4th look at the seal step depth. Look at the 2nd LQ4 pic at the top that shows this, and then either pics of the LS1 seals. It doesn't even appear to be the same seal.

Hose those suckers down with some brake cleaner so we can get a better look.
P.S., as G Atsma said, those don't look installed right, either.
Old 11-12-2019, 02:40 PM
Staging Lane

-1st,Your LQ4 in the last 2 posts aren't the same engine unless you gave it a bath after the first one.
My bad, I took a dozen photos and mixed up a couple while tagging. Fixed my post. That second pic is of my L76 not my LQ4, however they both have similar crank flange "stick-out" compared to my LS1.

-2nd, both of those LQ4 pics show the seal sitting slightly inside of the cover.
Look at the very top of the seal in the 1st pic and very bottom of the seal in the 2nd pic, you can see the face of the seal surface on the cover sticking out past the seal.
Yeah the seal is slightly inside the cover in the LQ4 pic but its a negligible amount.

-4th look at the seal step depth. Look at the 2nd LQ4 pic at the top that shows this, and then either pics of the LS1 seals. It doesn't even appear to be the same seal.
I honestly still can't see what you're seeing here. The seals look the same to me and they're both flush with the cover. I'll go back to the shop tomorrow, clean em up and take better pics.
Old 11-12-2019, 06:13 PM
11 Second Club

Received 119 Likes on 99 Posts

I don't know why people are attacking the OP for asking a question. It doesn't look like the seal is sticking inwards nearly a whole 1/4" to me compared to what is proper seal fitment.

Is it possible the oem gasket on the rear main cover is missing on your engine that the crank flange is sticking out more ? making the rear main cover sit inwards and making you think the crank flange is different or the cover is a different thickness.
Old 11-12-2019, 07:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 316 Likes on 214 Posts

Originally Posted by G Atsma

Wrong...

Old 11-12-2019, 07:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Couple more...

I've actually came across 3 different designs...

Old 11-12-2019, 07:35 PM
TECH Senior Member

…. and I DO stand corrected! I had totally forgotten about the oil passage re-do early on. I had even read about it! LOOOONG ago....
However, that does not change the situation re: the seal position in the cover. The seal in question needs to be done right...
Old 11-12-2019, 08:14 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 475 Likes on 354 Posts

Regardless of the seal or cover, Measuring how far the flange is sticking out compared to the bellhousing is going to tell you if they are truly different.
The following users liked this post:
01CamaroSSTx (11-12-2019)
Old 11-12-2019, 08:15 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1,879 Likes on 1,356 Posts

This is an image of a stock LS1 rear cover with an LS1 crank in a 6.0 Gen III iron block. The rear seal looks to be correct in your pics after a closer look but I'm still rather confused as to what the question is?
Old 11-12-2019, 08:38 PM
ModSquad

Received 3,504 Likes on 2,160 Posts

Originally Posted by Q8y_drifter

So...the crank flange to bellhousing depth is the same on all of your engines. Why is this discussion not over yet? The difference your seeing is the different rear covers, which use different looking seals. Your good.
Old 11-12-2019, 08:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Well, to answer the OP's original question, first pic in the first post is wide flange early 6.0, second and third pics are of later short flange cranks...
Old 11-12-2019, 09:51 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Launch
I don't know why people are attacking the OP for asking a question. It doesn't look like the seal is sticking inwards nearly a whole 1/4" to me compared to what is proper seal fitment.

Is it possible the oem gasket on the rear main cover is missing on your engine that the crank flange is sticking out more ? making the rear main cover sit inwards and making you think the crank flange is different or the cover is a different thickness.
Thank you. And no the gaskets are all installed, in good condition and covers torqued to spec.

Originally Posted by CattleAc
Wrong...

THANK YOU! There it is. the ~4mm difference I was seeing with the caliper.

Originally Posted by LLLosingit
Regardless of the seal or cover, Measuring how far the flange is sticking out compared to the bellhousing is going to tell you if they are truly different.
Originally Posted by Che70velle
So...the crank flange to bellhousing depth is the same on all of your engines. Why is this discussion not over yet? The difference your seeing is the different rear covers, which use different looking seals. Your good.
No difference there as confirmed in my post #21, but visually the crank flange stick-out appeared different, which now we know is due to the rear cover design change.
Old 11-13-2019, 02:32 PM
12 Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by lemming104
In the end, it's not even the distance from cover face to crank that really matters--it's the depth between the bellhousing mounting flange and the end of the crank. Just run a straightedge between two of the mounting bosses and get a depth measurement. As others have said, though, it just looks like the normal "short" crank with an incorrectly installed rear seal.
Q8y_drifter, could you or have you measure from the crank face to the bellhousing mount flange like lemming posted? I hope that will provide the resolution that this thread needs.
Old 11-13-2019, 03:07 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by hookemdevils22
Q8y_drifter, could you or have you measure from the crank face to the bellhousing mount flange like lemming posted? I hope that will provide the resolution that this thread needs.
I did in post #21. The distance is the same. This thread was technically resolved by that post.
The following users liked this post:
Che70velle (11-13-2019)

Quick Reply: Crank flanges and spacers