Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Holley Terminator X vs Fitech Ultimate LS

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2020, 08:18 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 474 Likes on 354 Posts

I like my DBW but I would use the cable throttle body since you already have it.
Old 01-15-2020, 09:24 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 875 Likes on 624 Posts

I don't really see the added benefit or the need to go DBW on this set up.
The following users liked this post:
syfe1 (01-21-2020)
Old 01-21-2020, 04:35 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah... at this point I am starting to point toward the Holley...
Old 01-22-2020, 02:18 PM
Staging Lane

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Haven't used a Fitech in a few years so can't give any recent advice, but i've installed both Holley and Fitech systems for people. Install they're about the same, but if you ever have issues with the Fitech then you're pretty much on your own. Good luck getting any help from them. Holley on the other hand has had a tech call me on a Sunday night before lol.
The following 2 users liked this post by TheTinMan:
G Atsma (01-22-2020), syfe1 (01-28-2020)
Old 01-23-2020, 09:33 AM
9 Second Club

Received 231 Likes on 172 Posts

Holley hands down.
G Atsma (01-23-2020)
Old 01-24-2020, 06:39 AM
Launching!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Has Dakota digital or anyone made something to allow cruise control on the holley FI? It is what is keeping me from using it on the next project I am planning?
Old 01-25-2020, 11:38 AM
On The Tree

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I currently have two fitech systems....One on my 1972 Big Block C10, it's just the basic throttle body system. No timing control and no frills. It is adequate for what it is. I got it free for swapping it off a cammed 5.3 for stock efi. I also had an Ultimate LS system on my PT7675 fox mustang with an 80e. Although some people will argue that the Fitech is a good system. To me it is a novelty item. Cool for your old Tri 5 to rattle to the car meet, but definitely not for a street performance vehicle. The tuning system is all funky and the ProCal once used makes the handheld useless. It is in my opinion a gimmick efi system. I now have the Terminator X Max and the tuning is as it should be and it has I/O and boost control and all sorts of additional controls. Fitech and Holley are not even in the same league. Not even comparable.
The following 3 users liked this post by WTF?:
G Atsma (01-25-2020), Mick68SS (12-09-2020), syfe1 (01-28-2020)
Old 01-28-2020, 01:15 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by WTF?
I currently have two fitech systems....One on my 1972 Big Block C10, it's just the basic throttle body system. No timing control and no frills. It is adequate for what it is. I got it free for swapping it off a cammed 5.3 for stock efi. I also had an Ultimate LS system on my PT7675 fox mustang with an 80e. Although some people will argue that the Fitech is a good system. To me it is a novelty item. Cool for your old Tri 5 to rattle to the car meet, but definitely not for a street performance vehicle. The tuning system is all funky and the ProCal once used makes the handheld useless. It is in my opinion a gimmick efi system. I now have the Terminator X Max and the tuning is as it should be and it has I/O and boost control and all sorts of additional controls. Fitech and Holley are not even in the same league. Not even comparable.

This was the type of feedback I was looking for. Good or bad. I know that most guys here in this LS1 forum navigate toward Holley... but I wanted to find out from those who actually have had / installed / used the systems. I usually fall prey to what I think is cool.... buy it.. then end up switching out a few times to other products.

I have had experience with Fitech and their basic EFI throttle body systems... I installed one on my 1951 Chevy 3100 with a SBC350. It did the job... it was so basic that it was kind of hard to mess up. It was loads better than messing with the carb. I also tried their Fitech Fuel Command center.... it totally sucked. I would not recommend their Command Center. I Used the Fitech 30002.. it was shipped to me with a bad controller. Fitech's help desk takes a while to get in... but I just had to chow proof of purchase and they sent me out a new controller for free. I wanted to know more about the Fitech Ultimate LS systems because... well... it had everything.. and was affordable. I was kind of hoping that it was that hidden gem... but... it was too good to be true.

I appreciate all the feedback that the community has to offer... all that I have to do now is find a low profile intake manifold... decide on what injectors to use then buy the Holley system. I suppose I could just go LS6 intake and stock injectors... not sure yet on what direction I want to go.
Old 01-28-2020, 01:29 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,428 Likes on 901 Posts

The LS6 intake is tried and true and makes good power and would be my choice if you went with a cable TB. If you wanted DBW, the LS2 intake is almost as good for power and has the gen 4, 4 bolt TB flange. New LS3 gold blade TB is compatible with the TerminatorX Max and is pretty cheap new.

Andrew
G Atsma (01-28-2020)
Old 01-28-2020, 10:29 PM
Teching In

So if I want to run my LS6 manifold and DBW throttle body, Isn’t there a 3 bolt to 4 bolt adapter plate I can purchase to bolt this up ?
And if so is there any con’s to this set up ?
Also is the gold blade TB a GM part?
thanks, Robert
Old 01-29-2020, 09:08 AM
Launching!

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

If you want to run an LS6 manifold and DBW throttle body, I believe Holley also sells a harness to use the earlier three-bolt throttles. Yes, there are also 3-4 bolt adapters. The downside is that the four-bolt throttle bodies are generally a larger diameter than the inlet throat of the LS6 manifold, so it's kind of pointless. Additionally, as I believe I mentioned earlier, you need to be careful when you install it, and double check that the blade does not catch or bind.

What most people refer to as the gold blade throttle is probably GM P/N 12605109.
Old 01-29-2020, 09:13 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by lemming104
If you want to run an LS6 manifold and DBW throttle body, I believe Holley also sells a harness to use the earlier three-bolt throttles. Yes, there are also 3-4 bolt adapters. The downside is that the four-bolt throttle bodies are generally a larger diameter than the inlet throat of the LS6 manifold, so it's kind of pointless. Additionally, as I believe I mentioned earlier, you need to be careful when you install it, and double check that the blade does not catch or bind.

What most people refer to as the gold blade throttle is probably GM P/N 12605109.
Agreed with all that! Also, for a 5.3L a gen 4 truck TB is probably totally adequate and is also common and cheap. Look up 2009 Colorado truck with a 5.3L engine.

Andrew
Old 01-29-2020, 11:14 AM
9 Second Club

Received 231 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by syfe1
This was the type of feedback I was looking for. Good or bad. I know that most guys here in this LS1 forum navigate toward Holley... but I wanted to find out from those who actually have had / installed / used the systems. I usually fall prey to what I think is cool.... buy it.. then end up switching out a few times to other products.

I have had experience with Fitech and their basic EFI throttle body systems... I installed one on my 1951 Chevy 3100 with a SBC350. It did the job... it was so basic that it was kind of hard to mess up. It was loads better than messing with the carb. I also tried their Fitech Fuel Command center.... it totally sucked. I would not recommend their Command Center. I Used the Fitech 30002.. it was shipped to me with a bad controller. Fitech's help desk takes a while to get in... but I just had to chow proof of purchase and they sent me out a new controller for free. I wanted to know more about the Fitech Ultimate LS systems because... well... it had everything.. and was affordable. I was kind of hoping that it was that hidden gem... but... it was too good to be true.

I appreciate all the feedback that the community has to offer... all that I have to do now is find a low profile intake manifold... decide on what injectors to use then buy the Holley system. I suppose I could just go LS6 intake and stock injectors... not sure yet on what direction I want to go.
We dont use fitech but have removed them off several vehicles and replaced with holley and all the problems went away. We never tried to re-tune the fitech setups so there is a possibility it could have been a tuning issue but all these vehicles been to several shops before coming to us for holley installs so I would like to think it wasnt just a tuning issue.
syfe1 (01-30-2020)
Old 01-30-2020, 12:26 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Project GatTagO
Agreed with all that! Also, for a 5.3L a gen 4 truck TB is probably totally adequate and is also common and cheap. Look up 2009 Colorado truck with a 5.3L engine.

Andrew
I appreciate the feedback, however on my 98 LS1 with the LS6 manifold and ported heads and mild cam would that 5.3 throttle body be enough ?
Old 02-03-2020, 01:00 PM
Teching In

Thanks for all the feedback LS world... I made my decision. I finally pulled the trigger.... this was one of the last components I needed for my swap. I picked up the Terminator X Max kit for my LS. I also picked up a complete LS6 intake manifold and some sweet Dakota Digital gauges for the Lincoln. Pretty stoked about this whole setup... After talking to the Holley Rep.. I also purchased the holley bim-01-2-hlly. It is the interface to read the data from the holley and feed that into the Dakota Digital gauges. Makes it so much easier... now I don't have to run separate sensors to monitor temps, rpm, etc. Thank you all again for the feedback. I was on the fence... I was hoping the cheaper more complete (includes the intake manifold and injectors) kit... but Holley just seems like the better product all together. I'll post up some updates once I receive the Holley kit (2 weeks out).. and I will definitely post updates of my Lincoln finally getting the heart she deserves!
Old 02-03-2020, 03:44 PM
TECH Senior Member

Thanks for all the feedback LS world... I made my decision. I finally pulled the trigger.... this was one of the last components I needed for my swap. I picked up the Terminator X Max kit for my LS. I also picked up a complete LS6 intake manifold and some sweet Dakota Digital gauges for the Lincoln. Pretty stoked about this whole setup... After talking to the Holley Rep.. I also purchased the holley bim-01-2-hlly. It is the interface to read the data from the holley and feed that into the Dakota Digital gauges. Makes it so much easier... now I don't have to run separate sensors to monitor temps, rpm, etc. Thank you all again for the feedback. I was on the fence... I was hoping the cheaper more complete (includes the intake manifold and injectors) kit... but Holley just seems like the better product all together. I'll post up some updates once I receive the Holley kit (2 weeks out).. and I will definitely post updates of my Lincoln finally getting the heart she deserves!
woot woot. IMO you made the right choice.

Fitech sells their product because it's cheap....not because it's good.
G Atsma (02-03-2020)
Old 02-14-2020, 05:01 AM
Teching In

Has anyone set up a Terminator X with a 5.3 and an LS6 Intake and stock EV1 injectors? I was playing with the software, and I did not see my injectors listed in the drop down. What have you guys used? Did you select 5.7L then make some changes? Or did you choose the 5.3 then pick one of the injectors... if you did this.. which one did you choose?
Old 02-14-2020, 10:20 AM
TECH Senior Member

Has anyone set up a Terminator X with a 5.3 and an LS6 Intake and stock EV1 injectors? I was playing with the software, and I did not see my injectors listed in the drop down. What have you guys used? Did you select 5.7L then make some changes? Or did you choose the 5.3 then pick one of the injectors... if you did this.. which one did you choose?
If you plan to do a VE based fueling strategy, then the displacement must be entered correctly. If you can't find the exact injector that you have in the drop down menu, pick something close. It will work fine.

Andrew
Old 02-14-2020, 10:55 AM
Teching In

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Hands down Holley without a doubt. I've personally worked with FiTech, Holley, Megasquirt and other and I can tell you if you go with the Holley you will not regret it. Bang for the buck you can't beat it however, check over all the wiring harness before you install it and if you have any issues call your dealer or Holley and get it straightened out. The customer service and all the free knowledge out there is worth the price alone. From my experience FiTech is junk and the customer service is worse.
Old 02-14-2020, 04:41 PM
TECH Senior Member

So the injectors you have are listed when you pick a 5.3 but not a 5.7?

Quick Reply: Holley Terminator X vs Fitech Ultimate LS