Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

67 Camaro Conv. LS1 swap

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2020, 04:15 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 67 Camaro Conv. LS1 swap

I bought a project that someone else started. I have spent the last few months tinkering and figuring out exactly what I have, now it's time to get serious about getting her on the road. Not doing a high end ($) or high horse conversion, just a fun car for the wife to have a toy as well.

I am a mechanic and can wire anything, but have never done an LS swap, so I'm looking to learn from the experiences of the builds done by members on here.

More about the build... It came with an LS1 out of a 2004 GTO, with the 4L60 trans, and GTO harness and ECU. The motor mounts look fabricated (see pic below), but seem to locate the motor well. And it had an Autokraft pan.

Here's what I've purchased:
  • Hooker Headers X- member Part No. 12625HKR
  • Auto Dynasty AD-HDS-NOVA74 headers
  • American Autowire Classic Update Series Wiring Harness Kits 500661
  • Radiator from auto city (see image below)
  • Spectra GM32AFI had tank with pump

Here's were I'm at on the swap:
  • In car wiring installed, haven't started under the hood
  • X- Member installed
  • Headers fit checked
Obviously a lot left to do like throttle system, accessories/ belts, converting stock GTO harness, fuel lines/ filter/ regulator, hoses, cold air intake, etc...

Radiator and fan that I plan to use

Here's the adapter/ motor mount

Header seems to clear stock box well

Drivers side head to firewall

Passenger side head to firewall

Last edited by 67Ragtop; 03-30-2020 at 11:54 AM.
Old 03-30-2020, 11:38 AM
FormerVendor

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Looks like a solid start.
Let us know if there is anything we can help you with or questions we can answer along the way.
Old 03-30-2020, 11:59 AM
Teching In

Default Mounts and motor location

Anyone see any issues with the mounts themselves, or where they have located the motor? I figured that since the x-member, headers, and oil pan all seem to fit and have the needed clearance, all is good, but would like to confirm before going farther.

Also, what has worked well for accessory and throttle cable setups for others?
Old 03-31-2020, 03:31 PM
Teching In

Where have you mounted the ECU and additional fuses/ relays in your gen 1 Camaro LS swaps?

My project is a complete restoration of the car as well as the swap. I don't have the wiper motor, brake booster/ master cylinder, etc... remounted yet, so it will be difficult for me to identify a good location for the fuse block and relays, but I want to get the wiring done as my next step.

BTW... still looking for opinions on mounts and motor location from previous post.

Thanks
Old 04-01-2020, 11:32 AM
Staging Lane

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

What I did with my 67 coupe is took a gen 4 Camaro ecu mount, modified it, made a hinged bracket and mounted it under the dash where the original speaker would have been mounted. For the fuses I made a replica of the glove box out of steel and mounted my obd2 port, fuses/relays, dakota digital moudule as well as my power door lock module. I also used a 4th gen wiper motor assembly and mounted it above the glove box. That was a bit more involved... Had to make my own linkage and disable the park feature in the controls but I do have delayed wipers on my turn signal. lol
Old 04-01-2020, 05:13 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Mikes67
What I did with my 67 coupe is took a gen 4 Camaro ecu mount, modified it, made a hinged bracket and mounted it under the dash where the original speaker would have been mounted. For the fuses I made a replica of the glove box out of steel and mounted my obd2 port, fuses/relays, dakota digital moudule as well as my power door lock module. I also used a 4th gen wiper motor assembly and mounted it above the glove box. That was a bit more involved... Had to make my own linkage and disable the park feature in the controls but I do have delayed wipers on my turn signal. lol
Thanks for the ideas.
Mine will probably never see rain, unless I get caught by surprise. Lol. So the stock wiper motor will meet my needs. Hiding the ECU in the stock speaker location is an awesome idea. I may look at how to do the same! Any pics of the glove box?
Old 04-02-2020, 07:08 AM
Staging Lane

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

This was after I made it and powder coated it. The rectangular cut out is where my wiper motor is located. Basically it is a metal copy of the cardboard one. I took the original one, made a flat pattern of it and then bent everything accordingly. My car isn't finished, but I can get a picture of it in the car after work.
Old 04-02-2020, 10:52 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 550 Likes on 344 Posts

I used that same radiator and love it. I still need to find a better fitting upper radiator hose. The one that I have is made from two different hoses I threw together. It works so I haven't bothered with it. I'm also running all Holley for my mounts and oil pan.
Old 04-02-2020, 12:11 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by ryeguy2006a
I used that same radiator and love it. I still need to find a better fitting upper radiator hose. The one that I have is made from two different hoses I threw together. It works so I haven't bothered with it. I'm also running all Holley for my mounts and oil pan.
Glad the radiator is working well. It looked like a solid unit for the money. Are you using the fan and shroud that came with it, or did you upgrade those?

I'll share info if I figure out a good upper hose for it.
Old 04-02-2020, 12:16 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Mikes67

This was after I made it and powder coated it. The rectangular cut out is where my wiper motor is located. Basically it is a metal copy of the cardboard one. I took the original one, made a flat pattern of it and then bent everything accordingly. My car isn't finished, but I can get a picture of it in the car after work.
Nice fab work. I am going back and forth on getting the additional relays/ fuses inside or just under hood. Im not adding power windows (yet). I think your option is a very good one for in car.
Old 07-15-2020, 05:15 PM
Teching In

Default Upper hose

Originally Posted by ryeguy2006a

So I had to take some time off of the project, but getting back to it now. I made a trip to autozone yesterday and looked through there radiator hose stock. Came up with this 71591. Right inlet/ outlet diameters, and looks correct.
Old 07-16-2020, 11:22 AM
Teching In

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

good luck . keep the pictures coming
Old 07-16-2020, 02:10 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 593 Likes on 471 Posts

The Spectra tank are known to be noisy and fail prematurely. So beware /prepared. Best of luck,

Quick Reply: 67 Camaro Conv. LS1 swap