Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

NEED HELP!!! GEN 3 to GEN 4 conversion

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2020 | 06:34 PM

Default NEED HELP!!! GEN 3 to GEN 4 conversion

Hi all!
I own a 2006 TBSS. Recently had a loss of oil pressure with the stock LS2 which wiped out a rod bearing.
Since the motor was coming out anyway decided it was time for some upgrades. We decided to go with a LS7 from a Z06 Vette.
Because my TBSS is an 06 it uses a E40 ECM with the 24x crank and 1x cam timing. That year was a bit of a transition year for the LS2 so it does have the CAM sensor in the front cover with a short jumper harness that connects to the main engine harness. it also has the knock sensors in the side of the block.
The new motor is GEN 4 with a 58x crank and 4x can timing. In order to make them compatible I am running a TRG-002 from Lingenfelter.
When my tuner came over to put a base tune on to get us through the break in and to exhaust shop among other things he noticed that the computer had a P0340 code indicating no CAM input to the ECM.
The Lingenfelter box is showing solid green meaning it is receiving crank and cam inputs and is synced. While investigating this issue I discovered a few things.
1. the Cam input sensor on my second hand TRG-002 is wired backwards from the directions. Directions state pin C(lower pin when facing the engine) is yellow and is the "cam Signal in" to the TRG-002. Pin A( top pin when facing the engine) is orange and is the 5vdc excitation. Mine is wired opposite of this but is still showing green on the box. I swapped these pins and got a flashing green light on the TRG-002 which is an alarm indication for no CAM signal to the TRG-002. I replaced the cam sensor to eliminate that and still had a flashing green light so I put the wires back to the opposite of what the directions say and I got my solid green signal back....
2. The directions called for a jumper harness to connect the TRG-002 to the ECM when being used in an E40 equipped car. I didn't have the jumper but after a careful examination determined that the reason for the jumper is to align signal path on the TRG-002 output to the ECM. All the jumper does is realign pins A and C to match inputs on the ECM. I re-pinned the jumper that cam that is used on the LS2 front cover as it is no longer used when installing the TRG-002. THIS IS NOT THE SAME THING AS #1 and is on a completely different cable..
3. I don't have a scan tool but My Aeroforce gauge has a DCT scan and clear option. I am checking for the P0340 code as I go along changing things and so far it has been there every time.
Anyone have any ideas about what I can do next to troubleshoot this problem?
here is some more info that you may or may not need.
1. I have confirmed that the old engine is in fact a 24x and 1x engine.
2. I have confirmed that the new engine has a 58x reluctor and 4x Cam gear.
3. My tach is working fine
4. The engine starts readily( its a little slow to get going but I have heard this is normal with the TRG-002) within a few seconds of turning the key.
5. I know I can send in the box to Lingenfelter for diagnostics, I dressed the harness into the factory engine harness when I had it removed from the engine bay so I am reluctant remove it because it will be a huge pain in the a$$
6. I went 58x due to wanting to do a future uprade to a 6 or 8 speed auto and when i do so I will replace the engine harness and ECM with a compatible system that can handle the 6L/8L plus the 58x engine( E38 probably out of a later model Denali or Escalade) and keep my AWD capability.
Thanks in advance!
Jonathan

Old 05-28-2020 | 06:25 PM

still lost on this. Does anyone have any ideas on what to look at. I would also see value in pictures of the connectors on your e40 equipped gen 4 motor with the lingenfelter installed so I can verify connector pinning of the other Cam out connectors.

Quick Reply: NEED HELP!!! GEN 3 to GEN 4 conversion