Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rx8 5.3 swap rebuild?

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2020, 08:08 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Rx8 5.3 swap rebuild?

I finally got the car set up how i want it, and got it off the jack stands. I use a manual oil pressure gauge and have always had 40 to 70 psi. I took it out to feel it out, and thought i heard some knock. I looked at the gauge and it was around 30psi at 2200rpm. It wasnt as responsive with building pressure. I think i have a leaky injector, the oil smelled like gas and the oil level was high. Do i need to think about a rebuild? Where do i start? Just replace the injectors and an oil change? Any advice would be appreciated.
Old 06-06-2020, 08:12 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,153 Likes on 2,460 Posts

Fix the injector issue, change the oil and see how the pressure is. Gas dilution WILL lower the pressure a bunch due to thinning.
Old 06-07-2020, 12:48 PM
Teching In

i took the injectors off while attached to the fuel rail. i primed the fuel pump a few times , no leaks. i pulled the plugs and they look normal minus gap and oil on the threads. i plan on replacing the valve cover gaskets. i just drained the oil and filter. i took apart the filter and its quite sparkly. no big chunks or shavings, just sparkles. i cannot seem to find any reason the oil got diluted. even when i drained it, it did not smell like gas. theres no grey discoloration, no signs of head gasket problems. the coolant looks good and the oil still looks like oil. what the hell happened?
Old 06-07-2020, 12:53 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,153 Likes on 2,460 Posts

Check your fuel pressure. If too low, the injectors will dribble the fuel and it will wash down and dilute the oil.
If you know the oil was diluted, there is a fuel issue.
As said, do the oil change and see where the pressure is on startup and after warmup.
Old 06-08-2020, 06:22 PM
Teching In

ive been waiting on an admin to approve a couple pictures of what was in my oil, i guess thats not gonna happen

is it possible that the spark plugs were so far out of spec that they let too much fuel by and washed the cylinders and bearings out? when i checked the plugs they were 52 to 62 thousandths. i regapped them to .038 and the car ran great and sounded better. after the oil change i started up and had 41psi in oil and 53 psi fuel. from then on out after warm the fuel stayed at 55/56. while the oil was warm/39-40, 1500rpm 47psi, 2000rpm 52psi. 3000 60psi. but something was still knocking.

i started it up again today to move it, and it sounded alot better but there was still a light knock.

im tearing down another block and inspecting the crank, planning on pulling the motor and changing out cranks with new bearings (rod and main). any thoughts?

Quick Reply: Rx8 5.3 swap rebuild?