Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1966 Chevelle Belching and Backfiring/ No Start

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2020, 04:59 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default 1966 Chevelle Belching and Backfiring/ No Start

First off, thanks in advance for any help I may receive on this issue... I have a 1966 Chevelle that I recently put a LS2 out of a 2006 CTSV into. The car is belching (almost caught the air filter on fire) and backfiring but wont start. I have 60PSI of fuel pressure at the regulator. I have verified the coil and injector wiring is correct. It has been switched to drive by cable (PSI stand alone harness) It has a RED/BLUE connector ECU. The car has a 24x reluctor wheel installed on the LS2 Crank with a 24x black Crank Sensor (NEW AC DELCO) and a 1x cam gear with front mounted cam sensor (Original 2005 CTSV). Is it normal for the car to throw a P1336 as soon as the key is cycled? I can delete the code, turn the key off, turn it back on, read the codes and the P1336 is immediately back before I crank. I have no cam sensor codes and have verified that I have 12V on pin A of the cam sensor connector (I have ALLDATA). I had an engine shop do the reluctor wheel it and he showed me the special clocking tool but that doesn't mean he did it right. Could the reluctor wheel being installed incorrectly cause this? Thanks in advance for any suggestions. I need "another set of eyes" on this one...
Old 06-26-2020, 06:18 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,110 Likes on 2,425 Posts

The code you show means "crankshaft position system variation not learned" in case you didn't know yet. If you know, then OK and ignore.
The following users liked this post:
1970RSZ28 (06-26-2020)
Old 06-26-2020, 08:42 PM
Teching In

Thanks. I appreciate the help. I should have let it be known that I knew what the code meant. I called a local tuner and he said that the car should still run even with that code. I guess the crank relearn procedure has to be done with the vehicle running.
Old 06-27-2020, 05:56 PM
Teching In

Update: I bought the motor out of a CTSV that caught on fire. I had to buy a new passenger side coil harness off ebay because the old one was melted. I removed the plastic holder that keeps the wires oriented to put the coils on some Holley valve covers that get rid of the coil brackets. In the process the coil harness was put on backwards causing a bad misfire. Found it by doing continuity checks from the PCM to the coils. Thanks for looking and thanks for trying to help.
The following users liked this post:
G Atsma (06-27-2020)
Old 06-28-2020, 11:27 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,439 Likes on 908 Posts

Originally Posted by 1970RSZ28
Update: I bought the motor out of a CTSV that caught on fire. I had to buy a new passenger side coil harness off ebay because the old one was melted. I removed the plastic holder that keeps the wires oriented to put the coils on some Holley valve covers that get rid of the coil brackets. In the process the coil harness was put on backwards causing a bad misfire. Found it by doing continuity checks from the PCM to the coils. Thanks for looking and thanks for trying to help.
Common mistake. Glad you got it sorted out.

Andrew
Old 07-02-2020, 04:56 AM
TECH Addict

Received 750 Likes on 407 Posts

Best feeling ever, when you figure it out n fire it off.

Quick Reply: 1966 Chevelle Belching and Backfiring/ No Start