Sponsored by:

Fuel pump noise issue

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2020, 03:54 PM
Staging Lane

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Fuel pump noise issue

Hi there:
I have done two 5.3 vortec swaps an I have the same issue with both: first one in 79 Camaro and the second one in 72 Nova. I have tanksin and their walbro in intank pump in both and I am using corvette style regulator/filter. With the first one, Camaro., when I had such a loud noise, I thought I might have installed the pump wrong, too close to the bottom of the tank for example. I pulled if out, measured it twice or three times, and although the measurement looked okay, I shortened the total length of the pump by another 1/8". It didn't make a difference. So, I thought it is what it is since the engine was running well otherwise. Now, the Nova is the same. I have 13.4-13.5 volt at the pumps (pumps have dedicated relays) but my fuel pressure at the rail is about 65 0r 66 PSI. I believe the pressure suppose to be around 58 with these engine. I have heard that these pumps and corvette regulators are very reliable so what would be the odds I have two bad brand new regulators? Is there something that I am missing?
I guess I also should explain what I mean by loud: I can hear the pump through the running engine, even inside the car. My though was the in tank pumps are very quiet.
Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks

Last edited by HRDWRK; 07-23-2020 at 05:55 PM.

Quick Reply: Fuel pump noise issue