DBW throttle body issue

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2020, 04:44 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DBW throttle body issue

Hello guys,

first thank you for your help.

I have a 87 C10\R10 with a 2006 Tahoe 5.3 with harness/ecm/tac/DBW.

I have disabled VATS, made it speed density. Currently the o2 sensors and the IAT sensor aren’t plugged in.

the throttle body is working with key on, engine off, it opens from 20% to 99.xx%. However When the engine is turned on the throttle body works for maybe 5 seconds then it stops responding, the engine idles rough then it dies.

does anybody know why the throttle body just stops working? I don’t have any codes for the throttle body and it seems to be communicating with the TAC module fine until the engine is turned on.
Old 11-21-2020, 09:00 PM
TECH Regular

Received 44 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by JackPBauer
Hello guys,

first thank you for your help.

I have a 87 C10\R10 with a 2006 Tahoe 5.3 with harness/ecm/tac/DBW.

I have disabled VATS, made it speed density. Currently the o2 sensors and the IAT sensor aren’t plugged in.

the throttle body is working with key on, engine off, it opens from 20% to 99.xx%. However When the engine is turned on the throttle body works for maybe 5 seconds then it stops responding, the engine idles rough then it dies.

does anybody know why the throttle body just stops working? I don’t have any codes for the throttle body and it seems to be communicating with the TAC module fine until the engine is turned on.
I have the same issue with a 2010 ram work truck that I swapped a 2006 lq4 into . The issue is much more intermittent, but similar in the fact that when it happens there is rough running and sticking at 1000rom or so and no throttle response whatsoever. Mine triggers at 10% or so throttle and seems to happen when cold.
It sees to be a common problem with the throttle body, and a shut down and restart usually cures the problem.I am going to replace the TB and hope that fixes the issue
I should add that this problem has cropped up in the last 10,000 miles or so ( of 30,000) and has been quite intermittent but is getting worse.
Old 11-24-2020, 12:11 PM
Teching In

ended up being something with the tune. i think when the tune was originally written on the pcm from hptuners we didn't quite remove all the VATS or it didn't write it all. did a full erase/write and that seems to have fixed the issue.
Old 11-25-2020, 02:27 PM
TECH Addict

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

If you're removing VATS with HP Tuners you need to do a write entire on the PCM or odd issues will arise - if it even works at all.
Old 07-12-2022, 06:49 PM

Originally Posted by gofastwclass
If you're removing VATS with HP Tuners you need to do a write entire on the PCM or odd issues will arise - if it even works at all.
sorry to bring up old topic, but my LS swap is doing some “odd” things. Maybe you have some advice. 6.0 swap from Yukon ran good at first and few days later fuel pump relay clicks rapidly and won’t run or work the throttle (DBW). Tried everything, one computer unlocked with HP tuners, one I unlock with a running truck (key on/off sequence), different Tac modules. Would the pcm need some kind of tuning?? Everything came from same donor..
Old 07-12-2022, 08:53 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 195 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by lsg87
sorry to bring up old topic, but my LS swap is doing some “odd” things. Maybe you have some advice. 6.0 swap from Yukon ran good at first and few days later fuel pump relay clicks rapidly and won’t run or work the throttle (DBW). Tried everything, one computer unlocked with HP tuners, one I unlock with a running truck (key on/off sequence), different Tac modules. Would the pcm need some kind of tuning?? Everything came from same donor..
if it ran good at first, its not a tune issue. Tunes don't go bad. I would start checking the harness real good. Especially check the grounds to be sure they are all good.
The following 2 users liked this post by ls1nova71:
G Atsma (07-12-2022), lsg87 (07-12-2022)

Quick Reply: DBW throttle body issue