Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

71 chevelle oil pan and front drive?

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2020, 08:19 PM
Launching!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I used a stock fbody pan, ict billet adapters and just redrilled the stock frame stands.
The following users liked this post:
leonpiper69 (12-07-2020)
Old 12-07-2020, 08:47 PM
ModSquad

Received 3,568 Likes on 2,194 Posts

Holley 302-1 here. Tie rods just barely kiss the pan at full lock. Shoot...I bought a second 302-1 for my 434 build. Works great.
leonpiper69 (12-08-2020)
Old 12-08-2020, 11:43 AM
Staging Lane

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Holley 302-3 on my 70 Cutlass and on my 70 Chevelle. Both cars were swapped using Holley line of LS swap parts.
If you need pictures let me know.
leonpiper69 (12-08-2020)
Old 12-08-2020, 02:57 PM
TECH Resident

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by EddieK
Holley 302-3 on my 70 Cutlass and on my 70 Chevelle. Both cars were swapped using Holley line of LS swap parts.
If you need pictures let me know.
Yeah the 302-3 will be here Friday. Sunday I can see how it fits. Now wishing I had the time to buy a canton but there is no way I would have had it in time. I couldn't find it in stock anywhere and all say "ships from manufacturer". I needed it by the end of the week.
Old 12-14-2020, 11:23 AM
TECH Resident

Car Shop Plates fit fantastic just like they did on my 68 camaro I did years ago. Holley Crossmember leaves a lot to be desired (have to call because half the hardware was missing, the little box broke open inside and in transit some delivery guy got some free hardware)....but it works for now and did save me the time of fabbing one up. Plenty of clearance but haven't had a chance to check lock to lock yet (Canton pan def would have fit better). Hooker headers cleared fit but hey they are midlength....I went midlength to make instalation easy (also why I went 1 3/4 and not 1 7/8").

Alternator def would not have cleared regardless of who's mounts I used but I got those really nice ICT Billet ones that hopefully next Sunday I can get on the car.

Was able to measure for drive shaft and angles look good.

Old 12-14-2020, 12:00 PM
TECH Resident

Just got off the phone with holley. They were super nice and helpful and the missing hardware is on it's way. I was able to bolt it in with some of the supplied hardware and a hodgepodge of things that are not quite right. I mean it's help in place fine for mockup but I wouldn't drive it with the hardware that's on there in some spots.
Old 12-15-2020, 01:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 551 Likes on 345 Posts

Part of the issue with the fitment of the trans crossmember may be that you are using the carshop mounts rather than the Holley Mounts. I did the opposite as you for my build and used their pan and engine mounts, but fabbed up a trans crossmember.
Old 12-15-2020, 02:22 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by ryeguy2006a
Part of the issue with the fitment of the trans crossmember may be that you are using the carshop mounts rather than the Holley Mounts. I did the opposite as you for my build and used their pan and engine mounts, but fabbed up a trans crossmember.
​​​​​​
what "fitment issue"????

I just think it could be made better for the price. But it fit fine. Holley's instructions on their site show the older design which is what I thought I was getting when I ordered it, I like that design better. The older design still listed on their site shows it reusing the orig holes in the frame rails. Now you have two metal plates you have to drill through the frame to mount, then bolt the crossmember to that..... definitely doesn't follow davinci's rules if you know what I mean.

Car shop plates work great. The driveline angles is good. I was able to drop my driveshaft off this morning so hopefully tomorrow I will be able to get that back (children's school/wife's work/my work etc pending) tomorrow so I can get that in on Sunday.

Opted for a completely new shaft vs just having it cut.
Old 12-15-2020, 03:14 PM
Banned

Received 203 Likes on 123 Posts

Are you sure you were sent the correct crossmember from Holley? The Hooker Blackheart crossmembers for the 68-72 A-body applications attach to the factory frame mounting holes. The 64-67 A-body crossmember is mounted to angle brackets that get attached to the inside of the frame rails like you are describing due to the fact there are no holes far enough back on the frame rails to pick up the transmission mount on the later model transmissions.
Old 12-15-2020, 05:15 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Toddoky
Are you sure you were sent the correct crossmember from Holley? The Hooker Blackheart crossmembers for the 68-72 A-body applications attach to the factory frame mounting holes. The 64-67 A-body crossmember is mounted to angle brackets that get attached to the inside of the frame rails like you are describing due to the fact there are no holes far enough back on the frame rails to pick up the transmission mount on the later model transmissions.
To be honest I don't know. I ordered the one for 68-72. I never looked at the part number on the box.....next Sunday I can look at the box.

I just told the speed shop to order it and they said they ordered it directly from holley.
Old 12-16-2020, 07:43 PM
TECH Resident

Finally heard back it is in fact a 64-67 crossmember...... Either the speed shop ordered the wrong one by mistake or they were sent the wrong one.
Old 12-17-2020, 05:30 AM
Banned

Received 203 Likes on 123 Posts

Well, It's good to know what you actually have so that you can change it out to the 68-72 A-body specific crossmember if you want to have one that bolts directly to the factory frame attachment holes.
Old 12-19-2020, 07:52 PM
TECH Resident

Well, It's good to know what you actually have so that you can change it out to the 68-72 A-body specific crossmember if you want to have one that bolts directly to the factory frame attachment holes.

The wring one is already bolted in, box thrashed etc. And the angles are good, so no point in a buying a second one unless some day it bugs me otherwise a waste of money to change it.
Old 12-20-2020, 03:54 PM
TECH Resident

Still finished. Only had 5 hours to work on it this Sunday. New driveshaft is in, new tank is in and fuel lines ran. Started wiring harness and then finally checked out the radiator the previous owner bought...

The orig rad had a tiny leak.... So he bought a new one....it was in the trunk and I never looked at it ..it was in the box the whole time and I dug it out to check to see how the hoses fit..,Tahoe hose fits the lower perfect ( will have to trim length of course).....but my surprise was the radiator isn't just the cheapest stock replacement he could find.

Old 12-21-2020, 11:41 AM
TECH Resident

Turns out I somehow paid more to order the wrong crossmember from Summit. Most of the stuff I got from my locla speed shop to try to shop local but that I got from Summit. So I just ordered the correct one from Summit. Figured it will make it it a little easier for future work on the car so why not.
Old 12-21-2020, 04:26 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,447 Likes on 913 Posts

I don't know how quickly you need the accessories, but I will be selling my high mount set-up. However it won't be until March.

Andrew
Old 12-21-2020, 04:40 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Project GatTagO
I don't know how quickly you need the accessories, but I will be selling my high mount set-up. However it won't be until March.

Andrew
Appreciate it, but luckily all my stock f body acc will work, I am just moving the alt to the pass side with the ICT brackets. I liked the look of those the best. Money isn't really an issue, I just really didn't like any of the other options. I wish GM would have kept similar subframe rough dimensions. Like do the first gen camaros have to have the sterring linkage behind the crossmember and chevelles in the front? I mean they both came with small blocks and big blocks.....why not just keep them all the same. The engineers back in the 60's new dang well we were going to put LS1s in them right?
Old 12-21-2020, 04:47 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by leonpiper69
Appreciate it, but luckily all my stock f body acc will work, I am just moving the alt to the pass side with the ICT brackets. I liked the look of those the best. Money isn't really an issue, I just really didn't like any of the other options. I wish GM would have kept similar subframe rough dimensions. Like do the first gen camaros have to have the sterring linkage behind the crossmember and chevelles in the front? I mean they both came with small blocks and big blocks.....why not just keep them all the same. The engineers back in the 60's new dang well we were going to put LS1s in them right?
Beats me what the engineers back then were thinking. I think the only GM cars in the 60s that had rear steer steering were the Nova (and Chevy II) and the Camaro. Everything else was front steer and stayed that way through the 70s, 80s and all the way to 1996 when they stopped making the Impala, which was the last of the full frame cars. Nowadays everything is unibody and rack and pinion...and still front steer.

Andrew
Old 12-21-2020, 04:49 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Project GatTagO
Beats me what the engineers back then were thinking. I think the only GM cars in the 60s that had rear steer steering were the Nova (and Chevy II) and the Camaro. Everything else was front steer and stayed that way through the 70s, 80s and all the way to 1996 when they stopped making the Impala, which was the last of the full frame cars. Nowadays everything is unibody and rack and pinion...and still front steer.

Andrew
I plan on working on it Sunday again for the small window of time I get.....but I may get sidetracked......I just bought an H1 Hummer and I pick it up tomorrow morning

Tomorrow I have to some how get my 74 firebird out and drive that to my shop (hopefully the weather isn't bad because that has a healthy small black in it, a little over 400hp) then getting picked up tp get the hummer. I am running out of space at home. My chevelle is at a buddies shop where we are working on it, my garage at home is my machine shop, I can fit three cars in the driveway and that is my new silverado, the wife's tahoe and now the hummer so I have to leave my bird at the shop.

heven't told the wife yet I bought the hummer. The kids don't know either. My son is eight and he has school two days a week, tomorrow being one of them so I picked tomorrow to pick it up so I can surprise him.....can't wait to see the look on his face when he comes out.

Can't wait to pick this new toy up....and no I won't be putting an LS in it LOL

Last edited by leonpiper69; 12-21-2020 at 04:56 PM.
Old 12-21-2020, 05:08 PM
TECH Senior Member

The Hummer needs a Duramax swap :-)

Andrew

Quick Reply: 71 chevelle oil pan and front drive?