Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sequential gear box for my LS3???

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2021 | 08:32 PM
Teching In

Default Sequential gear box for my LS3???

Need advice/help. I'm looking into getting a sequential gear box. I've never owned or built one, but I've drove a few cars with them and it was incredible. Right now I've got a LS3 and a t56 in a Datsun 280z pushing 550HP and 550FT-LB torque. Wondering if anyone has any info for me. Literally any help would be appreciated. Just need help finding options, finding parts, and finding people who know all about sequential gear boxes
Old 01-11-2021 | 12:26 AM
Launching!

Mainly you just have to stay away from anything with a side-shifter. Most sequentials are 4-speed with side-shifters and pricing on them used will be REALLY tempting considering most top shifted sequentials can be up and over $20k, but you will NOT be able to fit a side-shifter in that tiny car, the shifter will literally be where your leg goes, and there is no relocating all that linkage, it will be in the way. Those are muscle car transmissions made for really wide cars. You will have to just pony up for a top-shifter or a remote-shifter.

Samsonas is an up-and-comer that has very reasonable pricing, a lot of drifters are using them and they seem to be holding up well, but I haven’t heard anything about them being used for drag racing. If you have the money, PPG makes a T56 sequential that will drop right in place of your current setup - but it’s something like 17-18k.
The following users liked this post:
Squidlord (01-11-2021)
Old 01-11-2021 | 07:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Did S1 ever start producing bolt-on sequential shifters for T56? Last I checked on it years ago they were still working on prototypes.
Old 01-12-2021 | 05:14 AM
TECH Enthusiast
15 Year Member

Originally Posted by imma_stocker
Did S1 ever start producing bolt-on sequential shifters for T56? Last I checked on it years ago they were still working on prototypes.
Yes, they are making and selling them.
Old 01-12-2021 | 09:37 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Squidlord
Need advice/help. I'm looking into getting a sequential gear box. I've never owned or built one, but I've drove a few cars with them and it was incredible. Right now I've got a LS3 and a t56 in a Datsun 280z pushing 550HP and 550FT-LB torque. Wondering if anyone has any info for me. Literally any help would be appreciated. Just need help finding options, finding parts, and finding people who know all about sequential gear boxes
Check out S1 sequential. I know they make an add on sequential kit for t56
Old 01-12-2021 | 11:11 AM
TECH Senior Member
20 Year Member

Adding a sequential shifter is only part of the equation. True sequential boxes also have dog ring gear engagement and have ECU strategies for shifting. None of this is for the faint of heart or wallet.

Andrew
Che70velle (01-14-2021)
Old 01-12-2021 | 11:36 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Project GatTagO
Adding a sequential shifter is only part of the equation. True sequential boxes also have dog ring gear engagement and have ECU strategies for shifting. None of this is for the faint of heart or wallet.

Andrew
Dog ring, yes. Computer involvement, no. Far more sequential gearboxes out there that are fully manual than computer aided.
Old 01-13-2021 | 07:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Gotta admit, went on a youtube binge seeing the S1 in production for less than their original $3k price tag. Quite tempted to contact them now.

S1 sequential shifter still uses clutch pedal so you don't need electronic assistance. Being able to slip the clutch should improve off track driving. The whole point of a manual is to have control IMO.

True sequential transmissions start around $15k
Old 01-13-2021 | 07:53 PM
TECH Junkie

I think a lot of people hear "sequential" and think "dual clutch automated manual" such as those found in, well, just about everything these days.
Old 01-13-2021 | 10:59 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Michael Yount
I think a lot of people hear "sequential" and think "dual clutch automated manual" such as those found in, well, just about everything these days.
Those are also synchronized transmissions.

Something most people don’t even realize is pretty much every single motorbike ever made has a sequential dog box transmission.
G Atsma (01-13-2021)
Old 01-13-2021 | 11:13 PM
TECH Junkie

And with that, I'll say it out loud for the first time. I'm lusting after a 2020 Triumph Rocket 3 2.5L 3 cylinder/sequential box to power my '73 Corolla.....but I think it might rotate the wrong way.
Old 01-13-2021 | 11:26 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Michael Yount
And with that, I'll say it out loud for the first time. I'm lusting after a 2020 Triumph Rocket 3 2.5L 3 cylinder/sequential box to power my '73 Corolla.....but I think it might rotate the wrong way.
That would be pure nastiness... and if the twist is bass ackwards, flip the rear axle. No sweat. And no charge..... lol
Old 01-14-2021 | 12:25 AM
TECH Junkie

Chuckle - to avoid thread hijack I'll simply say there are a lot of reasons why you can't just "flip the rear axle"...and your consulting fee was just right!
Old 01-14-2021 | 12:34 AM
TECH Senior Member

I agree with you.... I was being flippant..... did I just say that??
Old 01-14-2021 | 07:08 AM
TECH Junkie

"...flippant..." - that was good. Slow on the uptake - we'd just gotten back from a "come on honey - we have to go NOW" 1AM visit with my 91 year old MIL....all's well, but at that age, if she calls, we roll.
G Atsma (01-14-2021)
Old 01-14-2021 | 05:51 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by Squidlord
Samsonas have options that are already out there. Fercomp are the US distributor.

https://www.facebook.com/Fercomprally/

There are probably more expensive options too, PPG, RTS etc.

None are cheap.

A BMW DCT swap is another option, but they seem to take a fair bit of learning to get the tuning right with the ecu controller. Not technically a "sequential" in the usual mechanical sense, but operation in terms of user making shifts up and down can be if desired.
Old 01-14-2021 | 05:54 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by Sacrilege
Mainly you just have to stay away from anything with a side-shifter. Most sequentials are 4-speed with side-shifters and pricing on them used will be REALLY tempting considering most top shifted sequentials can be up and over $20k, but you will NOT be able to fit a side-shifter in that tiny car, the shifter will literally be where your leg goes, and there is no relocating all that linkage, it will be in the way. Those are muscle car transmissions made for really wide cars. You will have to just pony up for a top-shifter or a remote-shifter.

Samsonas is an up-and-comer that has very reasonable pricing, a lot of drifters are using them and they seem to be holding up well, but I haven’t heard anything about them being used for drag racing. If you have the money, PPG makes a T56 sequential that will drop right in place of your current setup - but it’s something like 17-18k.
Samsonas have been around for a good few years, we've used them in Subarus for 6-7 years or so. They're great stuff, and plenty have used them for all sorts.
Old 01-14-2021 | 05:56 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by imma_stocker
Gotta admit, went on a youtube binge seeing the S1 in production for less than their original $3k price tag. Quite tempted to contact them now.

S1 sequential shifter still uses clutch pedal so you don't need electronic assistance. Being able to slip the clutch should improve off track driving. The whole point of a manual is to have control IMO.

True sequential transmissions start around $15k
Any car with a clutch can still use a clutch pedal. It's entirely up to the driver whether they choose to or not.
Old 01-24-2021 | 08:51 PM
Launching!

Here is an option. Not sure if it has been mentioned. It is a little pricey though.

https://www.6xdgearbox.com/

Ken

Last edited by Kenova; 01-24-2021 at 08:59 PM.
Old 01-25-2021 | 02:15 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by Kenova
Here is an option. Not sure if it has been mentioned. It is a little pricey though.

https://www.6xdgearbox.com/

Ken
The RTS is around double the price of the Samsonas, but it would be stronger if you need something to take say 1500-2000hp or so.
It definitely looks like a nice piece though.

Quick Reply: Sequential gear box for my LS3???